Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:06 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Tummy
We're on 18 in the north tower. Would be a lovely room except my stay has been tainted by the bad service and lack of housekeeping detail.
Okay. I occupied 11 and 17, but our terrible housekeeping experience was in 11. I know my experience wasn't unique, but maybe enough people posting will get the GM to actually look into the issues. I never spoke with him directly, but he sent me a brief E-mail that was very Eddie Haskell (from "Leave It To Beaver"). I gave the issues over for my assistant to handle because he was so indirect with me.

Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
out of curiousity, are you a gold/plat with starwood? is the room on the 18th floor a club room, suite, etc? I've got a reservation here on points and may reconsider. I don't have high expectations for stateside SPG properties, but SPG has other options in the area that I might look into...
Status doesn't matter here, which can either be a really good or really bad thing depending on the dynamics of your trip.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:13 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I believe if you are really low maintenance, just sneak in, get a room, don't have to interact with the staff (and hopefully don't have your bags go missing), then honestly it is a wonderful place.
If one wanted that experience of not interacting with anyone, then they could've stayed at the aloft.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yeah, save a lot of money that way, too!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:17 am

Beach views are nice. Shame that is despite the hotel rather than the hotel enhancing the experience.

I've reached out to them via social posts and messages but haven't received any reponse.

They just had to screw us over one last time. We called down to get our car from the valet before taking our own luggage down, waited 20 minutes for the car that never came. The lady on the phone never told the valets to get our car it appears.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:38 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yeah, save a lot of money that way, too!
Truth!

Originally Posted by Tummy
Beach views are nice. Shame that is despite the hotel rather than the hotel enhancing the experience.

I've reached out to them via social posts and messages but haven't received any reponse.
Looks like you had a good view. Our rooms both had a view of the building on the left. Bleh. Anyway, I tried to PM you w/ info, but you don't accept PMs. Drop me a line if you want contact info for the property.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I am just so sorry. What a way to end a vacation.

I sure hope your cruise was wonderful.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Any recent stays here? I'm taking my family of 4 on our first trip to Florida and have booked 7 nts here (flying over from WA state). . went with 5nt on points and splurged on last 2 nts and booked 1 bedroom corner suite, crossing fingers maybe they'll upgrade us a little early since SPG Plat.

Will be me and hubby with our two 11 yr old boys, mostly going to stay around the resort, pools, and beach time.

I know end of July to early Aug not best time for FL but hopefully not too hot & muggy. My stepson spends the month of July with his birth mom in Florida and this year we decided to take the all the family down to pick him up and stay a week.

Recent reviews on Yelp and TA seem hit & miss (either really good or very bad) anyone here have good news for me?

Any other suggestions for things to see or do that don't cost much, not going down to spend a bunch of $, we already do that on our trips to Maui.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
I take my 4 and 6 yr old grandchildren here regularly. They love the property and I as well have no issues with it.

Put them in the "Westin kids" program which while there is a fee, they do an outstanding job. Includes things like an "insider's tour" of the working areas of the hotel which they always enjoy.

The pools are very cool particularly the one "very shallow infinity" pool which is just opposite the main lobby and is frequented big time in the evening when it is all lit up in different colors. Kids really enjoy that.

Have fun!

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Westin Diplomat, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Third time here. Didn't realize walls are so thin. Next room arguing off and on from midnight to 1AM and then started again around 7AM before "reconciling."

Property is showing a bit of wear and tear and quality control slipping. Multiple bedsheets showing multiple stains, cracks in shower door, mildew in bathroom, clogged bathtub drain, disgusting floor in elevator between infinity pool and lower level pool.

Wifi does not meet published speeds. Premium wifi indicated 6mbits/sec down. Most I got was 4mbits/sec and slow responsible times. Barely able to stream due to slow response times.

Might have to give the other Westin up the beach a try next time.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Checking in next Tuesday for a week long stay with my DH and our 2 young kids. Our first family trip to Florida and pretty excited, was upgraded to 1 bedroom Diplomat suite for the 5nt package I booked.. .I booked the last 2 nights in a different reservation and went for the confirmed corner suite that was on special rate. Though I was informed we could stay in the upgrade diplomat suite the entire stay if we choose so after seeing the room. . .we shall see, the pix of the corner suites look pretty great.

Anyways i'm just thrilled to have the suite upgrade so the kids will be in the livingroom area I'll report back after check in, this is a long stay for us in a hotel and hoping all goes well. We usually vacation in Maui in our Westin villa with kitchen and all. Mostly hoping not to go way over budget on food.

Hope its not too busy and we can get some good use of the pools and beach area!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:20 pm

on day 3 of our 7nt stay. . received Diplomat suite on 30th floor for our 5nt (5th night free stay w/ $200 credit) after booking most basic room. For what we paid it's been very nice. . very hot and very busy but hotel itself is excellent.

Arrived July 29th about 6pm and check-in was very quick and easy, however roomkey wasn't programed for self-parking or club lounge (plat).. . since Tuesday it seems to have gotten busier and busier each day so lines a bit longer at check-in desk but staff has all be very nice and helpful.

The executive lounge has been very nice, the staff works very hard to keep everything stocked and very friendly given the amount of people and just plain slobs that make a huge mess. First couple nights was just light snacks with salad & oil/balsalmic dressing, chips & dip, sliced cheese and sliced ham/turkey and cold pasta salad . .tonight however there was a hot dish of pork & beef ravioli and mixed greens/spinach salad with italian or ranch dressing.. really enjoyed the change and very tasty. Beer & wines are only $5 or $6 and after finding limited dinning options or very pricey dinning options nearby it's quickly becoming very easy enjoying the club lounge amenities.

Having a suite we have small fridge and extra cabinet space for food so made a grocery store run that has helped cut down on costs. We tried the Hollywood boardwalk for dinner last night and its pretty disappointing really, everything pricey and not very good food. .. our only highlight was The Taco Spot at far end of the boardwalk (recommend driving to beach parking garage at $1.50/hr) and the Taco Spot right there. . .LARGE drinks and SUPER tasty tacos. . hubby and I had steak combo and mahi mahi combo at $14ea for 2 tacos, grilled corn on cob, rice and beans and $12 for 32oz Coronarita. . planning on going back to this little joint.

My son has been loving the pools but with the heat and humidity everything is very crowded & millions of little fishies in the ocean that nibble on you and i'm not very excited about that either so currently still undecided on pool/beach areas.

Our first 5nts have been in Diplomate suite with partial view of ocean and wrap around balcony overlooking waterway canal & city, very very nice room. . Sunday we check out of this room and into a Corner Suite with larger room and full ocean view and staying 2 more days there. Will share some pix soon. For now very satisfied with SPG Plat. recognition & amenities here (upgrade to suite and club lounge).

To be continued. .
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I'd say it's been going down hill over the years. We've spent the last three Christmases there on points. Previously I'd stayed at quieter times of year and got nice suites. The progression over the past three holidays has been: 1, cramped suite (top floor, where the tower gets very thin and the room gets smaller), 2, regular room ocean view with balcony, 3, regular room land view no balcony. Congratulations to them on filling the rooms and cutting suite prices so that they actually sell, but if I can't count on any kind of upgrade it's time to consider other options.

The club lounge also deteriorated -- in recent years there's been no desert, sometimes no salmon at breakfast, and a shift from high-end soft drinks (e.g. Perrier and Fiji water) to basic club soda and terrible water. Last year I noticed the newspapers had gone too.

As noted above there are areas that feel more run down. Two of the restaurant spaces closed (three if you count no dinner at the country club anymore) and I noticed from one year to the next that the hot tub on the upper level had not been fixed and was presumably abandoned. Also the food at Splash (outside café/pool service) was truly awful.

Service is not so great. There seems to be 15 minute line for the front desk day and night -- they just remove people when it gets quieter to keep the queue the same length even at midnight. Pool service is very hit and miss. Housekeeping also getting worse -- turndown was 50/50 on the earlier stays, and didn't happen at all on the most recent one. We have also had the experience of leaving the room for four hours, calling to request housekeeping, and have it not have taken place when we get back. With two small kids it can be hard to leave the room for the whole day.

Kids club is great though.

Overall still a good option to consider, but no longer a foregone conclusion as the best SPG option in the area. Maybe the Diplomat and I have just been spending too much time together and need to see other people for a while.

Last edited by ENIAC; Aug 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I agree on the lounge....the food is just awful. We ended up skipping the lounge entirely after two days.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Unhappy Westin Diplomat FL leaving Starwood to become Hilton

After the recent sale of this property to a new owner and the sale closing it has been confirmed to staff that the hotel is leaving to join the Hilton Brand and Starwood will no longer manage this property.

Starwood will no longer operate the hotel after October 30th.

I for one will miss this iconic hotel from the Starwood brand. So many happy memories spent at this great hotel. Yes many will say that the property has dropped in standards over the past several years which I have to agree with a little however the staff that I have known here on a personal basis for many years are just outstanding at their jobs and I will miss them when the hotel leaves Starwood but will still keep in touch. Hopefully not all will change when it becomes a Hilton and regular guests will be looked after like before...

All good things....
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
After the recent sale of this property to a new owner and the sale closing it has been confirmed to staff that the hotel is leaving to join the Hilton Brand and Starwood will no longer manage this property.

Starwood will no longer operate the hotel after October 30th.

I for one will miss this iconic hotel from the Starwood brand. So many happy memories spent at this great hotel. Yes many will say that the property has dropped in standards over the past several years which I have to agree with a little however the staff that I have known here on a personal basis for many years are just outstanding at their jobs and I will miss them when the hotel leaves Starwood but will still keep in touch. Hopefully not all will change when it becomes a Hilton and regular guests will be looked after like before...

All good things....
Not good news for this Friday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.