Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
I use my debit card to guarantee the room because it is the number that changes most often. My bank, or the stores I shop at, consistently get attacked or hacked, so it is easier to just leave that floating on the web than individual credit cards.
OK, but I'm not going to give anyone access to my banking account which is what using your debit card does in this case. I'd rather deal with a hacked credit card than a hacked debit card and have checks or automatic drafts bouncing....
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:58 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by controller1
OK, but I'm not going to give anyone access to my banking account which is what using your debit card does in this case. I'd rather deal with a hacked credit card than a hacked debit card and have checks or automatic drafts bouncing....
My bank is great about detecting fraud. It's so good, that I cannot shop in my grocery store without being declined on a weekly basis (despite the fact that I have been spending the same amount on groceries at the same store for years).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:12 am
uxb

SL had reached out to "Consumer Affairs," who claimed the GM would get back to me. Nothing that has been promised has happened. Giving up.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
SL had reached out to "Consumer Affairs," who claimed the GM would get back to me. Nothing that has been promised has happened. Giving up.
At least post a review on the hotel website, and maybe others. I am distressed to hear the GM has failed to even respond to your concerns. I hope it's a hiccup, but it wouldn't be the first time a once great property squandered it's reputation under a GM who fails to respect the customer.

Cheers,
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
I hope it's a hiccup, but it wouldn't be the first time a once great property squandered it's reputation under a GM who fails to respect the customer.
I think that the comments never reached the GM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:17 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Flews
At least post a review on the hotel website, and maybe others. I am distressed to hear the GM has failed to even respond to your concerns. I hope it's a hiccup, but it wouldn't be the first time a once great property squandered it's reputation under a GM who fails to respect the customer.

Cheers,
Did that earlier today.

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I think that the comments never reached the GM.
Got an E-mail message from the GM, which isn't a call. It could be one of his subordinates. Whatever. I'm letting my assistant deal with the property since they didn't want to engage me directly.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Two thumbs up

Just spent 5 nights (Mar 14-19) at the Westin Diplomat Hollywood.

I can absolutely confirm that the property extends every courtesy to SPG status members (Golds and Plats). I was upgraded to a club floor oceanfront room. Our request for connecting rooms was honored.

CHECK-IN

Check-in was a breeze as we didn't check in until 830PM after the normal rush. The associates at check-in readily recognized SPG status and were extremely warm and gracious.

ROOM

The room was breathtaking featuring an amazing view of the beach and ocean. With rooms like that, you almost feel guilty not spending more time in the room as opposed to the beach.

CLUB LOUNGE

The Club Lounge had an excellent breakfast selection offering a great buffet in wonderful surroundings featuring indoor and outdoor seating options and stunning ocean and city views. My only "complaint" (if it is even one) is that breakfast was removed promptly at 10AM even on the weekend. Imagine filling your glass with OJ at 9:59AM with a server standing so close to you you can feel his breath with both hands positioned over the juice dispenser ready to yank it away from you (all the while smiling at you).

CABANAS/BEACH

I asked the Ambassador to inquire about cabanas. She placed a hold on a cabana for us but upon inspection, we felt it wasn't for us as it was poolside as opposed to the beach (we're more beach than pool people).

On the beach, however, a local company (Boucher Brothers) operates a concession in cooperation with the Westin Diplomat and beach umbrellas, chairs and beach "beds" are available for rent on a daily basis. Payment can be charged to credit cards or signed to your room. The Boucher Brothers staff were very helpful and attentive.

RESTAURANT

The bar and restaurant on the beach was very convenient with uninflated pricing. Service was very good and the quality of the food and beverages were great.

SPA

The Heavenly Spa facilities are truly amazing -- probably one of the nicest spas we have ever visited. The massages, however, were not up to par (our only 'complaint' if there has to be one) as the massage therapists skills did not match her enthusiasm. The massage felt more like a vigorous massage lotion application than an actual massage targeting specific muscles. Despite that (relatively minor) issue, the rest of the stay was truly excellent. Where else do you get every Service Express associate greeting you warmly not just by name but following up on requests both efficiently and promptly?

PARKING

We opted for valet parking for $25 a night. My concern with valet parking for a property of this size is efficiency because during peak times, it can take a long while for vehicles to be brought forward. I was assured at check-in that cars would be brought up efficiently ("under 10 minutes"). I was shocked that this was absolutely the case. The valet staff are probably the most friendly and efficient I have ever encountered -- they didn't just get your car, they ran to get your car. We generally contacted Service Express to get the car brought up right before heading down and without exception, the car was there when we arrived at the door -- generally 5-8 minutes from the time we called Service Express.

Self-parking was also available but that seemed to be across the street which, while convenient, was probably more of a hassle than just getting valet service.

CONCLUSION

The one thing I have to say about this property, however, is how incredibly warm and friendly the staff generally were. From the valet to the doormen to the front desk associates to service express and even security, every associate along the way was incredibly friendly to all guests. Access to the pool area and beachfront during busy times is controlled by security upon presentation of a room key. Even the security staffing the various access points were friendly.

A true 10/10 stay.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

I heard so many good things about the diplomat we thought we would give it a try for a night pre-cruise.

My dissatisfaction started on arrival at the valet when they asked if we were checking in three times and he wasn't listening when I said yes and gave him my name three times.

Then nobody helped with our luggage. We stood there for a good 5 minutes then unloaded our massive cruise luggage myself. We waited further for the guys with the luggage carts but they kept motioning for us to wait. We waited so long that they pulled our car away and we were standing there in the middle of the driveway like we dropped our bags there on purpose.

Our room wasn't ready so we went out again for several hours. When we came back at 3:30 and got to our room, there were further issues.

Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Pictures are certainly worth a thousand words but I hope you're coming back to continue the story...were you moved to a different room?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:33 pm
uxb

Out of curiosity, what floor were you on?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:02 pm

Angry

Nope still here. Waiting for my luggage, 1.5 hrs and counting. We gave them the tags when we checked in and the front desk said they would send it. Called the service now line and they another person said they will contact the luggage desk and have it send the bags right up.

At this point I just want to go have dinner, go to sleep and wish we never booked here. We were up at 4am to catch our flights to MIA this morning. Not sure I want to go down and get our car from the valet though.

I used points for this and wish I didn't waste them on this place. I think I would be more mad if I had paid the $349 rate they were asking when I booked.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Out of curiosity, what floor were you on?
We're on 18 in the north tower. Would be a lovely room except my stay has been tainted by the bad service and lack of housekeeping detail.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:09 pm

It sounds like people's stays are either hot or cold there. Sorry yours is cold. I would not be happy with that room nor the service issues either - why not ask about switching rooms since you don't even have your luggage yet? (and I'd be concerned after 1 1/2 hours! That's crazy!).

Upon reflection, even though we loved the hotel itself, I also recall some minor service glitches - horrible advice from the concierge, miscommunication about the green program...I sort of blocked them out because the pool, beach, room was so nice but I'm really having second thoughts about a return trip - SO many bad reports can't be wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tummy
We're on 18 in the north tower. Would be a lovely room except my stay has been tainted by the bad service and lack of housekeeping detail.
out of curiousity, are you a gold/plat with starwood? is the room on the 18th floor a club room, suite, etc? I've got a reservation here on points and may reconsider. I don't have high expectations for stateside SPG properties, but SPG has other options in the area that I might look into...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:51 pm

The physical hotel is just so lovely. One of our favorite pools, locations. So many lovely outdoor locations to sit and watch the water. It is SUCH a shame they can't ramp up the service.

We very seldom return to a place, since there are so many options, but this is one we always hoped to. Had reservations last year but had to cancel due to a death in the family, and were hoping to reschedule again.

I believe if you are really low maintenance, just sneak in, get a room, don't have to interact with the staff (and hopefully don't have your bags go missing), then honestly it is a wonderful place.

The review above this one was more our experience.

And while I truly will miss the Golf location, I'm looking forward to trying out the new spa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.