Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by leandrorar
Considering the property is moving away from spg, are they still giving Plats those fabulous, consistent upgrades?
Why would you think they would not?

Until they switch, I would think, they would continue to operate as normal and continue with good platinum recognition.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Why would you think they would not?

Until they switch, I would think, they would continue to operate as normal and continue with good platinum recognition.
EXACTLY!

Not only has the hotel been known to provide good Platinum recognition, it also benefits the property to continue as long as they operate as a participating SPG property. They hope that some of those SPG Platinum members are also HHonors Diamond members and will want to return because of the great treatment they received.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by hackwid
So I have had my booking for the night before my cruise for months - used points for the Diplomat. I need a hotel near the port- and wanted something nice. What are my options now? The icky Sheraton Fort Laud airport. As a loyal starwood customer -I am so upset by this. My night happens to be over a holiday when the hotels JACK up their prices. So now I have to either spend 30k for St Regis, stay at the icky Sheraton or leave Starwood all together. Seems to me that Starwoods answer is - hmmm... well.... here is what there is. In what world is the Sheraton comparable to the Diplomat. Talk about being up a creek -
I stayed loyal to Starwood - guess they are not loyal to me.
What can they do? Well - first off they can get Hilton to honor the bookings and if it means that Starwood takes a bit from their wallet- then I guess that would have kept my loyalty.
When a hotel is overbooked- they put you at another COMPARABLE property even if on their dime. This is so horrible that honestly I am at a loss.
Everyone is talking about how Hotwire is offering Diplomat for super cheap - guess I know why...
I would not stay at the airport, had bad experiences at both the Hiton and the Sheraton which was torn down. I found on the weekends the restaurants were closed and I was very bored. I would stay by the beach, I like the Weston Hilton. 17th avenue has lots of hotels, stayed there many times but sad to say I was robbed at gunpoint Labor Day weekend near the hotel I was staying at. Never had a bad experience before that when Ilived down there 30 years ago used to hang out at the Marriott by the river which is now a Hilton.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
EXACTLY!

Not only has the hotel been known to provide good Platinum recognition, it also benefits the property to continue as long as they operate as a participating SPG property. They hope that some of those SPG Platinum members are also HHonors Diamond members and will want to return because of the great treatment they received.
Yep! I'm one of those "dual citizenship" Starwood Platinum & HHonors Diamond, and I will likely back at the Diplomat in February when it'll be freezing cold in Philly

Last edited by sapguy; Sep 14, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leandrorar
Considering the property is moving away from spg, are they still giving Plats those fabulous, consistent upgrades?
Are there any Plats that have stayed there recently since the change was announced that can report on their experiences? It would be reassuring to have some confirmation of Plat treatment.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold
just stayed last week as Plat

I stayed there for 2 nights Sept 7-9, and used my SNAs to upgrade to the Corner Suite. The service level remained very high, as usual.

I have stayed there over 25 times in the last 12 years, and am of course very sad to see it leave the SPG program. In talking with some of the employees that I have known for quite some time (in particular the lounge attendants) the indicated mixed feelings. Clearly there was concern for their employment, but my understanding from one is that the sales agreement provides job protection for the unionized employees (front-line employees) but not management.

The lounge offerings were reduced a bit more from my last stay. In particular, the smoked salmon was not out for consumption at breakfast (however when making a comment to one of the lounge attendants, they had it in the back and brought out a plate for me!!!)

One interesting comment is whether the club lounge will remain. That space is incredible, with spectacular views both in the morning and evening. It is however a cost center for them, and one opined that perhaps the new owners will convert the space to a lounge (bar) or something else.

I am a HHonors Gold, so I will likely email my contact there and try to negotiate a corner suite access (most important to me) and also lounge access (second most important!!) if I will continue my patronage there. But I am going to wait for the dust to settle a bit before I attempt this.

Originally Posted by yule_boy
Are there any Plats that have stayed there recently since the change was announced that can report on their experiences? It would be reassuring to have some confirmation of Plat treatment.

Last edited by ResQTekBill; Sep 15, 2014 at 8:00 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Thanks for that update, ResQTekBill!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by ResQTekBill
I stayed there for 2 nights Sept 7-9, and used my SNAs to upgrade to the Corner Suite. The service level remained very high, as usual.

I have stayed there over 25 times in the last 12 years, and am of course very sad to see it leave the SPG program. In talking with some of the employees that I have known for quite some time (in particular the lounge attendants) the indicated mixed feelings. Clearly there was concern for their employment, but my understanding from one is that the sales agreement provides job protection for the unionized employees (front-line employees) but not management.

The lounge offerings were reduced a bit more from my last stay. In particular, the smoked salmon was not out for consumption at breakfast (however when making a comment to one of the lounge attendants, they had it in the back and brought out a plate for me!!!)

One interesting comment is whether the club lounge will remain. That space is incredible, with spectacular views both in the morning and evening. It is however a cost center for them, and one opined that perhaps the new owners will convert the space to a lounge (bar) or something else.

I am a HHonors Gold, so I will likely email my contact there and try to negotiate a corner suite access (most important to me) and also lounge access (second most important!!) if I will continue my patronage there. But I am going to wait for the dust to settle a bit before I attempt this.
I can imagine them scheming up ways of leveraging the lounge, but wouldn't it be very difficult to do it given any lounge access would require you walk past staying guest rooms (in a club floor, too)?

My guess is that it either stays as is, or becomes a banquet hall/meeting room type of place for a controlled semi-private number of guests.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ResQTekBill

The lounge offerings were reduced a bit more from my last stay.

The Diplomat's website is still accepting bookings for post 10/2014. However, the booking calendar shows no availability for Club Level the last couple of weeks, or so, of December 2014 thru 01/03/2015. Knowing this property quite well, I find that highly unusual. Other dates into 2015 show very good availability for Club Level.

It has been stated that a "$100 million enhancement initiative" will commence this year. If Club Level/Lounge will truly not be available those two weeks, perhaps it is because the Lounge is being refreshed. Other third party booking sites were recently still offering Club Level those weeks, but not as of today. There are many guests with long-standing reservations for Club Level those two weeks. Some of the onsite staff has seemed confused themselves, about the Lounge's status at that time, with conflicting information provided.

This whole transition has been so poorly handled by the new ownership...poor timing, poor guest relations etc.; it will be interesting to see what happens once the property makes the formal transition from Starwood to Hilton.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I stayed at the Diplomat last weekend and the lounge attendants told me that the lounge was becoming a restaurant after it was remodeled and that there would not be a lounge. I've stayed at this hotel 25+ times and don't think I'll return now that the Plat benefits won't be the same with Hilton.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I stayed at the Diplomat last weekend and the lounge attendants told me that the lounge was becoming a restaurant after it was remodeled and that there would not be a lounge. I've stayed at this hotel 25+ times and don't think I'll return now that the Plat benefits won't be the same with Hilton.
Thanks for the insight. The Lounge was one of the major reasons I usually booked the Diplomat, for SE Fla visits. I most likely have had my last stay at the Diplomat, as well.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I tried to book this hotel next May using Hilton points however it wouldn't allow me to do so. I actually tried different dates/different months and I was unsuccessful. I then went to SPG and they are continuing to offer bookings after the transition in October. It mentions to call a toll free number for points redemption.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by derby44
I tried to book this hotel next May using Hilton points however it wouldn't allow me to do so. I actually tried different dates/different months and I was unsuccessful. I then went to SPG and they are continuing to offer bookings after the transition in October. It mentions to call a toll free number for points redemption.
You can book on Hilton or Starwood site for revenue stays.

Any SPG awards stays, benefits, or points accrual will not be honored after 10/29/2014. You can, however, earn Hilton Honors points, if desired.

There have been rate discrepancies, recently, for the Diplomat among the different sites, including OLTAs. Some have been quite substantial.

If I were you, I would assume that a Hilton Honors points booking would be feasible, once the formal transition is completed. I do recall seeing, a week or two ago, that a standard (superior?) room required 50,000 points per night.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I thought all Hiltons (brand) had to have a lounge. Could be what was the lounge wont be any longer but there should be a lounge somewhere. Thats why many Hiltons became Doubletrees, so they didnt have to have a lounge

If they are reflagging as a Doubletree then it makes sense, but not if they will be called Hilton
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by craz
I thought all Hiltons (brand) had to have a lounge. Could be what was the lounge wont be any longer but there should be a lounge somewhere. Thats why many Hiltons became Doubletrees, so they didnt have to have a lounge

If they are reflagging as a Doubletree then it makes sense, but not if they will be called Hilton
It will be part of a new flag called "Curio". There are no public rules yet defining the Curio brand. It's neither Doubletree nor Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.