Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Reply

Old Sep 1, 14, 8:01 am
  #736  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 3,597
Originally Posted by IrishStephen View Post
I can assure you that the hotel is becoming part of the Hilton brand. Starwood Staff were given a letter on August 27th confirming the name of the property will be the "Diplomat Resort & Spa (a Curio Collection hotel) that will be managed by Hilton Worldwide." and that "the new owner and Hilton will be on-site the week of September 8th to provide an update on the transition plans for the hotel" and answer staff questions...

It will take some time for the dust to settle and for systems to be put in place for future reservations. As others have mentioned here I would suggest waiting to hear from the hotel as they are probably working their socks off to make it as smooth a transition as possible...
Change to Hilton Curio Collection confirmed on Hilton's website. Information about the property is available, but it appears as though they are not ready to accept bookings or even search availability. This was all implemented far too quickly...poor planning by new owner.

Curio A Collection by Hilton The Diplomat Resort & Spa, Curio A Collection by Hilton Hollywood

No rooms available
View available dates
3555 South Ocean Drive, Hollywood, Florida, 33019, USA
2.9 mile

Overview
Map
View hotel site
Whatever your pleasure, there is plenty to do at The Diplomat Resort & Spa, Curio A Collection by Hilton Hollywood.

Non-Smoking Hotel
Business Center
Fitness Center
Golf
Meeting Rooms
HHonors Reward Category:
Information not available
The new owner is apparently establishing a pattern.

http://www.hotelmanagement.net/trans...ns-curio-28530

Last edited by mke9499; Sep 1, 14 at 9:49 am
mke9499 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:16 am
  #737  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by zonafandan View Post
I called both spg (I'm a 10+yr gold member) and the diplomat themselves who gave me the same answer. They an convert the reservation from award to dollars if I want, but they will NOT honor the reward since it won't be their hotel at the time of the stay. They're supposedly researching it further, but I would expect something major for the inconvenience just not sure what I should ask for or expect...thoughts?
You should not expect any form of compensation. And IMO, you should not ask for compensation.

Hotels changing brands and/or loyalty programs is common. Most likely SPG/Starwood will reach out to you to find accommodations at a nearby property.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:58 am
  #738  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,812
Originally Posted by zonafandan View Post
I called both spg (I'm a 10+yr gold member) and the diplomat themselves who gave me the same answer. They an convert the reservation from award to dollars if I want, but they will NOT honor the reward since it won't be their hotel at the time of the stay. They're supposedly researching it further, but I would expect something major for the inconvenience just not sure what I should ask for or expect...thoughts?
This is very odd. I had a reward stay booked at the Sheraton Moorea with SPG points before it was purchased and rebranded as a Hilton. Hilton honored my reservation and even gave me free breakfast because of my Hilton Gold status.
margarita girl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:05 am
  #739  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
This is very odd. I had a reward stay booked at the Sheraton Moorea with SPG points before it was purchased and rebranded as a Hilton. Hilton honored my reservation and even gave me free breakfast because of my Hilton Gold status.
I don't his situation is odd. Each rebranding is a "case-by-case" situation. What one property does, IME, has no baring on what other properties do.

Now if someone has Hilton status and wants to keep the reservation as paid, then that is a different story.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:46 am
  #740  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,995
I, too, have a problem with this, and can't believe they will just not honor an spg award reservation. You've saved your spg points, it may be the only way you can afford this very nice family resort, you've purchased your non-refundable air tickets, and now they say "too bad you have NO reservation with us unless you fork over $XXX" (which can be well over $400/nt for the Dip).

As we don't know yet exactly what either Starwood or Hilton will do, it's just as faulty to state with certainty what they will NOT do.
Eujeanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:48 am
  #741  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I, too, have a problem with this, and can't believe they will just not honor an spg award reservation. You've saved your spg points, it may be the only way you can afford this very nice family resort, you've purchased your non-refundable air tickets, and now they say "too bad you have NO reservation with us unless you fork over $XXX" (which can be well over $400/nt for the Dip).

As we don't know yet exactly what either Starwood or Hilton will do, it's just as faulty to state with certainty what they will NOT do.
That is why people should prepare a plan B. When things like this happen you need to be quick and flexible.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 10:32 am
  #742  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 3,597
If there is a pattern established...same new owner, Dallas property converted to Hilton Curio Collection, not previously Starwood, though...

Existing Hotel Palomar reservations are intact at The Highland Dallas, and current and future guests may immediately begin using and redeeming Hilton HHonors® points.
mke9499 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 12:26 pm
  #743  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,988
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
You should not expect any form of compensation. And IMO, you should not ask for compensation.

Hotels changing brands and/or loyalty programs is common. Most likely SPG/Starwood will reach out to you to find accommodations at a nearby property.
I agree with this. I'm sure Starwood isn't happy about the new owner dumping them for Hilton either. But that's life. At least there are other Starwood options in Florida, unlike the case with Aruba and Bahamas.

Cheers,
Flews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 5:44 pm
  #744  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,171
As I commented earlier in this thread, I worked for a company that had to move thousands of reservations due to an unanticipated closure of a resort. I guarantee there is a plan being developed to minimize problems.

Relocation plans are complex, so they take time to develop. Guests will be contacted based on arrival date and/or SPG status. I know it's hard, but patience will be necessary.

On behalf of the line employees of the Diplomat, I'm begging you not to call the hotel...especially today. The people you reach aren't going to have any answers. Yes, your vacation is important; but, those line employees are probably very stressed out. Many of them might even be concerned about having a job after the reflagging.

Link to my initial comment with tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23455883-post736.html
writerguyfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:04 pm
  #745  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YXU / YUL
Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, SPG Plat (LT Gold), MR Plat, HH Dia
Posts: 264
I'm going to be in the Fort Lauderdale area for a couple of nights in October. I've never stayed at the Diplomat and I'm wondering if I should stay there for the plat experience before they leave. If any plats have any upcoming stays in September, it would be great if you could post your experiences here to help me make my decision. Thanks in advance!
yule_boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:55 pm
  #746  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: GRB, MKE, ATW
Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, IC Plat Amb , Marriott LTP
Posts: 507
Talked to SPG Concierge and they had no knowledge of the transfer. She looked up dates on my stay in Jan '15 and said no issue and then said "...wait, as of Oct. 29, 2014 it is out of the system", and she was surprised. I have an existing reservation for early next year and have had no notice so far.
NWAsilvELITE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 10:06 pm
  #747  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore
Programs: SPG
Posts: 4,002
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I, too, have a problem with this, and can't believe they will just not honor an spg award reservation. You've saved your spg points, it may be the only way you can afford this very nice family resort, you've purchased your non-refundable air tickets, and now they say "too bad you have NO reservation with us unless you fork over $XXX" (which can be well over $400/nt for the Dip).

As we don't know yet exactly what either Starwood or Hilton will do, it's just as faulty to state with certainty what they will NOT do.
I don't think there is an official confirmation that the hotel will not honor any free night award reservations.

Thus instead of making any conclusions on my end, it would be best if you reach out to Customer Care immediately or drop us an email to follow up on your reservation.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Social Media Specialist
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Starwood Lurker II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 14, 10:13 pm
  #748  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore
Programs: SPG
Posts: 4,002
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE View Post
Talked to SPG Concierge and they had no knowledge of the transfer. She looked up dates on my stay in Jan '15 and said no issue and then said "...wait, as of Oct. 29, 2014 it is out of the system", and she was surprised. I have an existing reservation for early next year and have had no notice so far.
Hi,

I was informed that non-award reservations made before the sale will be honored.

Let us know how we can assist with your inquiry. PM/Email, the channels are opened.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Social Media Specialist
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Starwood Lurker II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 14, 7:33 pm
  #749  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Miami Beach - Copacabana Beach
Posts: 125
I just checked into the Diplomat this evening and got the bad news.

The upgraded corner suite is already making me feel nostalgic....

I am going to miss this place!
LukeSky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 14, 8:07 pm
  #750  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tennessee
Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Posts: 559
Sorry to hear this. I had been looking at staying here for a winter get away
1readyset2go is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread