Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Old Jul 19, 13, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nfldflyer View Post
My only two irritants was the SPG checkin line was slow and one day some kid crapped in the pool which caused a shut down for three hours as the pool was cleaned and filtered. The staff handled it well but it made a lot of guests mad who were expecting to spend their holiday in the pool.
A perfect opportunity to go spend time at the beach instead. The water temperature is just perfect.

On a somewhat-related note, I often marvel at how many people decide to hang out by a chlorinated pool all day when they're steps away from the beach. Granted that nobody can swim in the pool after the kid went #2, but I can't believe how many people are ok with swimming in a pool where gallons of urine are poured every hour.
Old Jul 19, 13, 5:09 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
Yikes! Would they preferred to swim in the pool with crap in it?
This happened three times during my six night stay at this hotel in 2012. This place would be better to have a children's only pool.

Last edited by Minneapolis; Jul 19, 13 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 20, 13, 8:00 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
I believe they were upset with the child, not the staff.
No beleive it or not some guests were upset with the hotel. I overheard one guest tell a staff member that they were paying $x dollars per night to stay there and wanted to use the pool and now couldnt and would be demanding compensation. For me i was glad the hotel staff acted quickly and dealt with the mess. Plus the way the hotel is configured there is two pools so as one was shut down everyone went to the other pool. The hotel staff also came around the pool deck and apologized to all guests and told them when they expected to have the pool reopened. I thought that was a good thing for them to do.
Old Jul 20, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Westin Diplomat

Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
This happened three times during my six night stay at this hotel in 2012. This place would be better to have a children's only pool.
I agree with that
Old Jul 20, 13, 8:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
They could make the lower pool adults only. The upper pool is already zero entry so that would make sense. But how would you police it? There were kids all over - it's not like one pool is in a completely separate area, they are right on top of each other.
Old Aug 1, 13, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I just had a great stay at the Diplomat. I was upgraded to a corner suite (32nd floor) on a rewards stay and was given a 4pm checkout.

The lounge had pretty decent appetizers (coconut shrimp and chicken tenders). For breakfast they had plenty of smoked salmon.
Old Aug 2, 13, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA-Gold MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Platinum
I'll be returning to the Diplomat early next month, and given the issues I had on my last stay in Jan, I decided to reserve a suite (rather than expect an upgrade). I did get a response from the GM to my complaints, and have PM'd him of my new reservation. Given that this will be my 11th or 12th stay, and except for the last one-- all were great, I am not too concerned of a repeat performance.
Old Aug 6, 13, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy (SPG) Lifetime Plat Premier, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Okto View Post
A perfect opportunity to go spend time at the beach instead. The water temperature is just perfect.

On a somewhat-related note, I often marvel at how many people decide to hang out by a chlorinated pool all day when they're steps away from the beach. Granted that nobody can swim in the pool after the kid went #2, but I can't believe how many people are ok with swimming in a pool where gallons of urine are poured every hour.
Old Aug 6, 13, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Hertz PC
Totally Agree!

Originally Posted by Okto View Post

I was always curious about this as well. That's what I was a bit confused with the Sheraton Maui debacle. While I certainly realize how egregious the error was on the part of the hotel, from the comments you would have thought that the hotel was land-locked in the middle of Idaho instead of on an Hawaiian island surrounded by water.

I also get that people with children would prefer to be at pools instead of the ocean, but why bother spending money to be in Hawaii (or any beach resort) at that point?
Old Aug 6, 13, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
I mostly go into the pools, even when I'm at the beach. I'm not a strong swimmer, and frankly a big wave can come up on you unexpectedly, so I'm very careful to stay in ocean water that is "safe".

I also love, love, love to LOOK at the ocean from my balcony or lounge chair, and you can't get that in Iowa (or Las Vegas or Scottsdale).

And I love to stroll along the shore up to my ankles. I like looking for shells and rocks, enjoy tidepools.

So just because someone doesn't want to swim in the ocean does not mean they don't enjoy being near it.
Old Aug 6, 13, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I mostly go into the pools, even when I'm at the beach. I'm not a strong swimmer, and frankly a big wave can come up on you unexpectedly, so I'm very careful to stay in ocean water that is "safe".

I also love, love, love to LOOK at the ocean from my balcony or lounge chair, and you can't get that in Iowa (or Las Vegas or Scottsdale).

And I love to stroll along the shore up to my ankles. I like looking for shells and rocks, enjoy tidepools.

So just because someone doesn't want to swim in the ocean does not mean they don't enjoy being near it.
Ah - that's a fair point.
Old Aug 23, 13, 5:07 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVP), BA, DL, HH (G), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
I read five or so pages, but...

Where do FT'ers tend to stand on this property vs. others? I'm taking my mum and sibs (age range: 17-24) down to Florida on holiday in 2014 and want to make sure that I'm going to a good beachfront property. My past FL beachfront experiences, 4PTS Miami Beach and W SoBe, were dismal. In fact, my favourite place in Miami has been the Westin Colonnade, but that is nowhere near the beach.

Guidance appreciated as always.
Old Aug 23, 13, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by uxb View Post
Where do FT'ers tend to stand on this property vs. others? I'm taking my mum and sibs (age range: 17-24) down to Florida on holiday in 2014 and want to make sure that I'm going to a good beachfront property. My past FL beachfront experiences, 4PTS Miami Beach and W SoBe, were dismal. In fact, my favourite place in Miami has been the Westin Colonnade, but that is nowhere near the beach.

We had a fantastic stay here with the kids. Great plat treatment, excellent service, very nice facilities. Nice sushi restaurant on site. Trolly to town. Very different from MB/SoBe.

Cheers,
Old Aug 23, 13, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum

I loved the Diplomat last time I was there, I'm going again in December.
Old Aug 23, 13, 3:01 pm

I will be staying at this hotel on my next visit to FL. I like the St. Regis but decided to try this hotel based on the +ve reviews posted here. I hope I won't be disappointed

Search this Thread