Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Old May 28, 13, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
I was planning to use a couple of SNA's for the Club Floor Suite, but it seems it's not that great, what's the difference between that and the corner? I stayed at the corner once and loved although chances being at a low floor is higher compared to the club floor suite where you ae guaranteed a high floor.
Club Floor suites don't have a balcony
Old May 28, 13, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Hertz PC
Checking Back In

Today the breakfast was the same (which I'm very happy with.) the evening appetizers were chips and salsa, spring rolls and crispy tuna bites.

The Club Level Suite is very nice - don't me wrong. Nice space with separate living and dining areas, nice sized bedroom, walk in closet, beautiful bathroom... I just wish it had a balcony, a clear view of the ocean and more windows to let in natural light. Just something to think about for next time.

I do know that the website says there are different floor plans for the club level suite so I can only really speak to the room I received.
Old Jun 24, 13, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
We are heading to the Diplomat on June 27th to celebrate our 25th anniversary. This will be our 2nd visit. I was checking in to see what changes to expect and saw that there may be a decline in the food served in the club lounge. That would be unfortunate, but with the view from the lounge, I think I could forgive that!
I will post an update on our stay. Hoping for a corner suite again, the view was unbelievable!
We are bringing our semi adult kids on this trip (early 20's) so I will post their thoughts too!
Looking forward to another great stay at this hotel!
Old Jun 24, 13, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The last few stays I've had (April and June), the food quality is back up. Smoked salmon back at breakfast
Old Jun 25, 13, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
The last few stays I've had (April and June), the food quality is back up. Smoked salmon back at breakfast
Yum! Great to hear! Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 13, 9:42 am

Update on stay

*An hour to check in
*Told they don't accept State government id for government rate. I had previously checked with Plat desk and was advised it was fine. (Only used government rate for one night as had meeting today and staying through the weekend on different rate) After pointing that out they agreed to "honor" the rate as a one time courtesy.
*Told I am Gold not Platinum by Front desk clerk and then it is explained to me how I haven't stayed at Starwood enough nights to qualify for Platinum. (I am Platinum)
*Told there is no notes on the reservation i.e. King room request, 25th anniversary
So spending weekend in Double Bed accessible room with peeling wallpaper, stained coverlet (I had housekeeping come change it) Spouse not happy at all.
*Waited 7 hours for a call from Management. Plat Concierge had called the hotel after I checked what status I had with SPG (at front desk's request). Concierge was concerned after I explained what was going on and attempted to contact management at the hotel. As they were all in a meeting, he left a message and asked them to contact me when they came out.
*No contact so I checked with front desk at about 10:30 p.m.. They told me to come back in the morning and it would be worked out. I did so. After a blank look from the front desk when I inquired. I explained the situation. There was not much concern. After complaining for a few minutes, they offered to switch me from the oceanview grand deluxe that I booked to a lower level cityview King bed. (Sigh. Really.)
*All of a sudden a King bed on club level is available, but it will have to be cleaned. Give them an hour and they will call. Waited around and got luggage packed up. No call about the room. Tick tock tick tock.
In the end, I call down to front desk and tell them nevermind. Have a meeting to go to. Only here for 3 nights. Wasted enough time waiting around. Trying to salvage the rest of the weekend. Obviously the Westin Diplomat is unconcerned. I realize I am just one customer. Not expecting the world but maybe just a bit of concern or interest.
Needless to say, not at all reflective of my previous stay. However, based on the lack if interest or concern of management to any of these issues, won't be back to the Diplomat.
By the way, they did have smoked salmon in the club lounge.

Last edited by syndney; Jun 28, 13 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 29, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by syndney View Post
Update on stay

So spending weekend in Double Bed accessible room with peeling wallpaper, stained coverlet (I had housekeeping come change it) Spouse not happy at all.
Open a file with corp CS on that issue. There is a bed type guarantee for paid rates.
Old Jun 30, 13, 8:58 am

Yes, please follow up so management can deal with this. This kind of experience is highly irregular at this property, and we owe it to ourselves to head it off at the pass.

Cheers,
Old Jul 7, 13, 9:25 pm

I emailed corporate shortly after posting here and was given 12000 starpoints.

It was really disappointing. Had one other issue. The last night we were on our way out to dinner, had called the valet for our car. Once we went downstairs they had pulled our car around front but they were not able to find the keys to our car. It took them over an hour to locate our keys, apparently they had been dropped in another car. Valet Manager took all valet charges off our bill and paid for the drinks while we were waiting. Most attention we received from anyone in management the whole time we were there.

Tried to be laid back about the whole thing, but seemed like trip was just jinxed. Anyway, we won't ever be back to the Westin Diplomat.

Last edited by syndney; Jul 8, 13 at 6:43 am
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:54 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I was here last week. Nice property, some small irritations, but all in all a solid property.

I was UG to club floor suite. It was a great room, no balcony as noted. The refrigerator was not plugged in. Club was huge, great balcony area. Staff refused to police other guests children that were using empty aluminum soda bottles as drums on the balcony walls for over 30 minutes. Needless to say, that family had the entire side to them selves.

The second night there was no dessert offered. The first night was egg rolls and something else, dessert was cookies. The next night was tuna bites, but no dessert offered. The attendant told me to call down and complain, this got me nowhere.
Old Jul 10, 13, 3:10 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
We've stayed at the Diplomat three years consecutively, always with Starpoints, and have always managed to get upgraded to that wonderful corner suite, either through my ambassador or a nice pre-arrival email to the GM.

As I think someone noted, this particular hotel is (or is believed to be) the redemption capital of the SPG world, so I'd say that an expectation of over-the-top food/beverage presentations in the club lounge might be misguided. Certainly nice to hope for, but my three experiences have been "merely adequate" at breakfast, less so in the evening.

I actually don't care that much; such things are far from the reason I choose a property, especially when on holiday (as opposed to while working).
Old Jul 19, 13, 4:59 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Westin Diplomat

I was there for 3 days over the July 4th holiday. Nice property, some small irritations, but i would highly recommend the property to anyone.

I was UG to corner floor suite. Club Lounge was huge, great balcony area. I had breakfast there everyday and while there wasnt a large amount of food offerings what was provided was great. There is a Sushi lounge off the lobby which was small but the food and service there was superb.

My only two irritants was the SPG checkin line was slow and one day some kid crapped in the pool which caused a shut down for three hours as the pool was cleaned and filtered. The staff handled it well but it made a lot of guests mad who were expecting to spend their holiday in the pool.

I would stay there again.
Old Jul 19, 13, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Nfldflyer View Post
one day some kid crapped in the pool which caused a shut down for three hours as the pool was cleaned and filtered. The staff handled it well but it made a lot of guests mad who were expecting to spend their holiday in the pool.
Yikes! Would they preferred to swim in the pool with crap in it?
Old Jul 19, 13, 6:09 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
Yikes! Would they preferred to swim in the pool with crap in it?
I believe they were upset with the child, not the staff.
Old Jul 19, 13, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
I believe they were upset with the child, not the staff.
I know that but still, if a child ruined it, you shouldnt be acting like one.

Search this Thread