Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Old Dec 16, 12, 1:44 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Seems I'm not the only one who has noticed that the property is now resting on its laurels and cutting corners... and becoming a bit cheap with its lounge offerings.

What used to be a delicious and impressive spread of breads, meats, salmon and three varieties of melon is now a mixed bowl fruit and just ham and some boiled eggs!

I'm really disappointed
Good to know that I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman View Post
After reading about this property's near legendary status among Plats, I was excited to try it out.
Checked-in mid-afternoon and got upgraded to a non-corner suite on a very high floor. Suite was spacious and comfortable, but lacked a balcony, which was a disappointment. A couple of the windows opened, but just barely.
Had a similar situation, I wanted a room with a view/balcony so I downgraded to a standard room on the 25th floor. Much better decision.
Old Dec 16, 12, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
When you downgraded to the regular room with a balcony from the suite without one, how did they calculate how much money you should get refunded?
Old Dec 30, 12, 10:50 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Club Lounge food lacking

Stayed at the Diplomat (beach location) Dec 15-20. Was nicely upgraded to a Corner Suite on 27th floor, which was an amazing space. Had a great time, staff was awesome and friendly, etc.

BUT - as many here have observed, the food in the Executive Club Lounge was, in my opinion, substandard for a resort of such caliber. Examples of Food on description cards vs. [food actually displayed]:

Selection of Sliced Cheeses : Slices of mild cheddar cheese only
Red and Green Apples : Green apples, sometimes bananas
Selection of Charcuterie : Slices of ham

This last one is curious, as there appeared to be many Jewish people staying at the hotel (and the surrounding area of the hotel has many more), including a late-Saturday arrival of what must have been a whole El Al planeload. Note that the above foods were the same all five days.

Selection of bagels was nice. Fresh berries were wonderful. The complete lack of hot food of any kind (save oatmeal) was disappointing. Irritating above all is the fact that sodas/juices are only available from a staffed bar during official "meal service" hours.

Note that I will stay at this property over and over again, as I always enjoy myself immensely there, but the lounge sure could stand to bump it up a bit! I'm sure there's a hidden story here (like some related earlier in the thread about idiots "loading up").
Old Dec 30, 12, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Westin Diplomat, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Also becuase the lounge is an Amazing Location... Stunning views - good food really would add value to Plat / Club recognition
Old Jan 2, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat100, DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum (former CK)
Still nice

Stayed with the family after a great stay last year. And this was another great visit. This is the perfect family hotel. Amazing pools and a great beach. The kids club is also very nice. As always, as a Platinum member I was upgraded to a corner suite. The lounge offerings are a deff disappointment-- especially when this is supposed to be the plat breakfast offering. Regardless, we will be back again next year.
Old Jan 23, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Tested the waters at this property for one night (stayed at W FLL and W MIA on previous visits to the area). As a plat, I got upgraded day of check-in to a corner suite.

Room was wonderful. Check-in was smooth. I'd go back =)
Old Jan 23, 13, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
The angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other

I think I'll investigate where the Trolley and the Water Taxi go. When we had a car we didn't really pay much attention to them.

Has anyone taken either from the hotel and where did you go, what did you do?
We stayed at the Dip last June for 2 nights. The 2 nights we were there, the trolley was not running. I believe that was a Sunday and a Monday. Maybe check their website for the days they operate. We walked down to the boardwalk area for dinner one night. It was walkable, but a bit of a hike in warm weather. I think it was maybe 1.5 miles?

We caught the water taxi and had a really great time, until we got off the boat! We rode the taxi one way and had a great time looking at the mansions near the water and hearing light commentary from the boat driver. Very relaxing, and the boat is covered so we had shade and a cool breeze. We, however, made the mistake of getting off the boat to grab a snack and use the restrooms. The water taxis heading back to the hotel were all full and we ended up waiting for an hour in the hot sun for a taxi with available space to drive us back to the hotel area. After an hour, we flagged a cab, and paid $40 to take a cab to the hotel. After checking some Tripadvisor reviews on the water taxi, apparently this is quite common.

Very much enjoyed the Dip though--when we were there the smoked salmon was still there!
Old Jan 30, 13, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
This past weekend was my 6th stay here, and I have to say things have changed. My last stay was about 2 year ago and I was looking forward to the great service and experiences that I'd had in the past, but that was not to be. We checked in about 1pm on Sat, and were met with the desk staff telling us that all systems were down, and no one could be checked in for about 30 minutes. I spent that time, checking the website, which showed many suites still available, but when we were finally able to check in , we were told that those were held for 'paying' guests and as we were on C&P we would be given a Deluxe room only, but that a suite would be available the next day and if we wanted we could move into one then. We took the oceanfront room (3034), and were followed into it by maintenance, who proceeded for 20 minutes to try to fix the sliding doors from the bath into the room. He was unable to do so, and locked them closed and warned us not to touch the doors as they may fall down. We then turned on the tv and found no picture, just sound. I attempted to call the front desk to get it fixed, but the phone just rang and rang. I finally got through to the main operator who also tried the front desk for me to no avail. She then suggested I just go down and tell them of the problems. At the front desk, they gave me keys to a new room (2734).
Then next day, Sunday I went down to the front desk to ask about a suite and was told that yes, I could move to 3318-- but unfortunately the systems were down again, but they would call me when they were up and I could then get the new room key. The suite was 2 rooms with no balcony, but with a nice view of the intercoastal. The next day were were checking out at 5:30am-- and guess what!!.. Systems were down again-- they did take my e mail address and promised to send my bill when the systems came up again.
As for the lounge, as others have mentioned, the spread is pretty slim, the one night I went, they had chicken wings with some cheeses in the evening--but a decent selection for breakfast. All in all, a fairly disappointing stay, especially given all the 'systems' issues.
Old Mar 4, 13, 7:12 pm

Last spring break- better late than never

I have to give a HUGE thanks to Erik of FT fame - he was amazing- we got to meet him in person. We are just gold but Erik did offer us to pay for executive lounge access at a very reasonable rate (family of 4). I have been to many executive lounges and this is *exceptional*- we went every breakfast and sunset- loved sitting outside. We loved the lounge- so spacious inside and out- you need to see some pictures but it won't do it justice. The cookies were a nice touch for our kids (ages 4 and 6). The pools were great- there was a convention across the street so barely anyone was in the pool! The staff had family/kids activities every day which our kids loved! The rooms are nice, staff attentive.

We took the shuttle to the golf/spa part - my husband and I played golf and the kids went to the kids club (great club! we actually ran into them at the gold course- they were putting- they went to the pool twice- I loved that they were so active!). The pool was rather empty at the golf location and it was a really peaceful setting so we did go there for a change of scene (the bar was nice too). We enjoyed both parts of the resort. We also ventured out to Gulfstream Park and loved the variety of restaurants. The kids got to watch horse races.

Overall, this was one of the best vacations we had- Erik- a belated thank you. We will definitely go back- we were about to write off this whole area as a vacation destination. Also- due to work, I'm now a HHonors Diamond but I think SPG has the best hotels and staff.
Old Mar 13, 13, 5:14 am
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

laurava, I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you and your family come and visit us again soon.
Old Mar 15, 13, 4:49 pm

Programs: US Kettle, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Heading down to the Diplomat in mid-April. Any idea what the golf rates are for guests. Just looking to,play once during my stay.
Old Mar 15, 13, 4:57 pm
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

RMINIONE,
Great to hear you are coming to visit us! Try the link below to see what our rates are for golf.

http://diplomatresortwm.ezlinks.com/...ionSearch.aspx
Old Mar 15, 13, 5:44 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
DiplomaticErick, any comment on the decline in quality of the offerings in the Club Lounge?
Old Mar 15, 13, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
DiplomaticErick, any comment on the decline in quality of the offerings in the Club Lounge?
When I was there in Feb, they served crab cakes in the lounge. They were delicious. I wouldn't exactly call it a decline in quality.

Old Mar 17, 13, 1:53 pm

Westin Diplomat, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Currently staying at the Diplomat for the first time with my family. I booked a standard room on points. When we arrived around 13:45 the computer system was down which meant everything had to be done manually. It also meant, apparently, that early check-ins couldn't be accommodated. As check-in time wasn't until 16:00 I had no problem with that. A couple of fellow guests, however, put up a big childish stink with some yelling and name dropping (it's all gone downhill since some fellow named Mark left the hotel, supposedly). The front desk staff had their hands full, but handled things very well. Anyhow, we went for a little drive and they called me around 15:30 saying our room was ready. As a non-status guest I was surprised and very pleased to have been upgraded to a large suite on an executive floor. More bees with honey than with vinegar I suppose. Everything's been fantastic and we'd definitely return.

Search this Thread