Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Old Jun 22, 12, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
I'll tag on to this since I'll likely be there for the first time in a few months. Any restaurant recommendations within a 2 mile walk?
Old Jun 22, 12, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad. I guess there are lots of places in walking distance- if you have the time.

I think golf is dumb, and I doubt I'll be at the spa. Are there restaurants, bars, movie theaters, shopping nearby?

I'm guessing no, or the responses would have been more resounding.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 22, 12, 10:37 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman View Post
I'll tag on to this since I'll likely be there for the first time in a few months. Any restaurant recommendations within a 2 mile walk?
Le Tub Saloon.

If you like burgers, this hole in the wall will not disappoint.
Old Jun 22, 12, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
The Dip has its own sports bar over at the Landing, and there are a couple of bars at the Crowne Plaza across the street. I think the only "bar" at the main hotel is the lobby bar (unless someone knows of another).

We went to an old-fashioned Italian restaurant that was across the bridge (should be walking distance but we had a car), but I can't say I'd "recommend" it...it was good in a throwback sort of way. There was also a Cuban restaurant in the same strip mall. Go south from the hotel and take a right over the big bridge. Padrino's is the name of the Cuban place, can't recall the Italian - they will be on the south side of the street. (The Italian restaurant is called Nando, and the big bridge is Hallandale Beach Blvd).

Further north from the hotel is the Broadwalk, where there are more restaurants. I'm not sure how far...again we drove...but I think you can take the Trolley there. We also ate at a place called Giorgio's which I think you can get to by the water taxi.

You really should look up the Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale water taxi and the Hollywood Trolley, good ways to get around if you don't have a car.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jun 23, 12 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 23, 12, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
You really should look up the Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale water taxi and the Hollywood Trolley, good ways to get around if you don't have a car.
Thanks Eujeanie.
Old Jun 24, 12, 12:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by chexfan View Post
I'm heading here for a conference in October. Is there actually anything to do in walking distance of the hotel?
No, not a lot - although as noted above there are water taxi/trolley connections if you need to escape.

As for a comparison to W South Beach, I think the big differences run all the way through from the location to the target customer. I went directly from one to the other and much preferred the Diplomat - although that's possibly because I'm Platinum, I'm not part of the SoBe cool crowd and I was picking up the bill at both properties
Old Jun 24, 12, 12:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
We had launch at the hotel's restaurant: poor quality of food, bad service and over priced!
Old Jul 1, 12, 7:26 pm

I'll try to get through the rest of the 34 pages shortly, but what are your thoughts on this hotel for children (3 and 5) in March? Good, child-friendly restaurants located nearby (or a short taxi ride away)?

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Jul 2, 12 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 2, 12, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur View Post
I'll try to get through the rest of the 34 pages shortly, but what are your thoughts on this hotel for children (3 and 5) in March? Good, child-friendly restaurants located nearby (or a short taxi ride away)?
I would say this property is perfect for those ages. Shopping, restaurants, just a short hop around the corner. There is a trolly shuttle into town (that our kids loved). We even walked back from town along the boardwalk.

The Dip's facilities are great for kids. Ours had a ball. Plus, if you have elite status, you will probably get a great upgrade, thus more room in the room.

All in all, if we weren't going to Disney, we would be at the Dip.

Cheers,
Old Jul 2, 12, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by peroorim View Post
We had launch at the hotel's restaurant: poor quality of food, bad service and over priced!
Which restaurant? We had lunch by the pool and it was great. I also really enjoyed the sushi fare, although I brought it up to the room rather than eating in the restaurant.

Cheers,
Old Jul 27, 12, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Westin about two weeks ago and had an all around nice stay. I didn't get a suite upgrade as a Platinum since they were fully committed, though I did get a nice Grand Deluxe room with a great view. Echo the comments above about the club lounge being nice physically but having a pathetic spread.

For anyone that's interested I wrote a full trip report with pictures on my blog, which can be found here.
Old Jul 27, 12, 1:04 am

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
I stayed at the Westin about two weeks ago and had an all around nice stay. I didn't get a suite upgrade as a Platinum since they were fully committed, though I did get a nice Grand Deluxe room with a great view. Echo the comments above about the club lounge being nice physically but having a pathetic spread.

For anyone that's interested I wrote a full trip report with pictures on my blog, which can be found here.
As always, you are the man!
Old Aug 10, 12, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT
A couple of questions.

Do they have double beds in any of the suites?

Does the lounge have cocktail hours (free wine)? It seems like some people have to pay and some don't. And is soda/ water available throughout the day?

My child is 2.5, so I think he's too young for the Kid's club. Has anyone tried arranging babysitters for a night or so?
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Westin Diplomat - Hollywood, FL

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post

Excellent trip report. I've had great experiences at this hotel.
Old Aug 12, 12, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by adamak View Post
A couple of questions.

Do they have double beds in any of the suites?

Does the lounge have cocktail hours (free wine)? It seems like some people have to pay and some don't. And is soda/ water available throughout the day?

My child is 2.5, so I think he's too young for the Kid's club. Has anyone tried arranging babysitters for a night or so?
As they have so many suites, I am sure some of them probably have double beds, just ask.
As of coctail hours (free wine??), this Platinum has been there many, many times and I've never seen discounted prices or anyone (except those conventioneers) getting anything free at the bars or restaurants.

Search this Thread