Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
OK, it's a little more complicated. I've already booked the dates I want, but I really need someone to look at this and pinch me to see if I'm awake. I think this is an awesome deal, balcony or no. This is what I have found:

Suites Guys' Golf Getaway Package from 152 USD 632-768 sq. ft. / 59-71 m˛
Separate living area
Heavenly Bed & Bath
Available in all rooms in the hotel:

Additional Amenities
Suite Bedroom
Diplomat Suite Parlor

Corner Suite Parlor

Golf Location Suite

Club Suite Parlor

Dates Flexible? One-bedroom suite, non-smoking: King Bed, 632-712 sq. ft. / 59-66 m˛, Club floor suite, Evening hors d'oeuvres
Guys' Golf Getaway PackageNo penalty for changes/cancellations until 04/09/2013
No deposit required
Full Description
Guys' Golf Getaway PackageClosePlan the perfect golf weekend. Hit the course and spend the day perfecting your swing on our championship-managed course. Beer and Chips welcome amenity for two, $50 off round of golf (per room, per stay) and 4pm late checkout, based on availability
USD 152.00
Per Room / Night

***based on this description, can anyone tell if this is at the Beach Location or Golf Location? Can you tell if the suite will have a balcony? Why do they list all the names of the suites - I have no idea which one I'm booking. If anyone is familiar with these types of packages...what happens if you don't play golf? We don't care about foregoing the $50 off. And we're not "Guys", either. We just want this deal for $152 a night.

Is this as good a deal as I think it is? (I mean, HALF the price of the ROOMS for that time period)...we've been to the hotel before and loved it, this seems too good to be true.
Hi;

Mind sharing where you found this rate?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
SPG website. It was not there several weeks ago when I made a C&P reservation for a regular room, but 2 days ago I went to add another night and saw it for the 3rd night, so checked and it was there for all 3. I have no idea if it's all the time, or how many they allot each night at this price (I'm sure not many), but I just got lucky.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:27 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago. From now on we will stay here instead of at the Sheraton Suites Plantation West... it sounds as if the Diplomat tends to actually SAVE YOU your rooms that you reserve and prepay for, which is always a plus (unlike SS Plantation West - the horse is not yet dead, so I shall continue to beat it).

I only wish the 8K points they gave us for our borked up reservation this past week was enough for even one room at the Westin Diplomat for one day. Ah well, live and learn (and then switch to the Dip)!
Old May 29, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Recently stayed at this property with the Mrs. a couple of weeks back. All in all, I *highly* recommend this property. Here's why:
- Great staff - everyone is really personable and caring.
- The property is quite large but not vegas-like where it seems huge.
- Solid pools and beach (beach amenities managed by 3rd party so expect fees there)
- Platinum amenities are really consistent (suite upgrade, lounge, etc.). Many properties make you fight for your benefits ... not here.
- I noted a special occasion on the reservation ... and they went above/beyond.

I also had the pleasure to meet FT contributor DiplomaticErick in person. Days before my trip (after my award reservation was already upgraded), I decided to switch to a revenue reservation (for reasons you might imagine). My platinum concierge called the hotel and worked with him to ensure the swap to revenue would preserve my upgrade. I am also one who made the mistake of booking the W South Beach the last time I was in the area. BY FAR ... the Westin Diplomat is a much wiser choice on so many levels.

Thanks DiplomaticErick ... you made a quick weekend getaway a GREAT EXPERIENCE! We will be back!
Old May 29, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
I am also one who made the mistake of booking the W South Beach the last time I was in the area. BY FAR ... the Westin Diplomat is a much wiser choice on so many levels.

Thanks DiplomaticErick ... you made a quick weekend getaway a GREAT EXPERIENCE! We will be back!
I was leaning to the W South Beach to try it out....why was it a mistake for you ? Westin Diplomat seems to have lots of good endorsements so I wonder why a supposedly better W South Beach is often graded less than the Diplomat....never been to either.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Points Surfer
I was leaning to the W South Beach to try it out....why was it a mistake for you ? Westin Diplomat seems to have lots of good endorsements so I wonder why a supposedly better W South Beach is often graded less than the Diplomat....never been to either.
Take a look at the W SoBe Master thread. If you search the thread for "Westin Diplomat" ... you'll see plenty comparisons listed there.

In short ...
- People
- Value
- Accessibility of the pool facilities
- SPG amenities (no SPG check-in line, upgrades few/far between)

YMMV
Old May 30, 2012, 9:39 am
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

Recently stayed at this property with the Mrs. a couple of weeks back. All in all, I *highly* recommend this property. Here's why:
- Great staff - everyone is really personable and caring.
- The property is quite large but not vegas-like where it seems huge.
- Solid pools and beach (beach amenities managed by 3rd party so expect fees there)
- Platinum amenities are really consistent (suite upgrade, lounge, etc.). Many properties make you fight for your benefits ... not here.
- I noted a special occasion on the reservation ... and they went above/beyond.

I also had the pleasure to meet FT contributor DiplomaticErick in person. Days before my trip (after my award reservation was already upgraded), I decided to switch to a revenue reservation (for reasons you might imagine). My platinum concierge called the hotel and worked with him to ensure the swap to revenue would preserve my upgrade. I am also one who made the mistake of booking the W South Beach the last time I was in the area. BY FAR ... the Westin Diplomat is a much wiser choice on so many levels.

Thank you Mr. Takahashi for such a great review of our property.

It was pleasure to meet you and I'm glad we were able to exceed some of your expectations. We hope to see you again real soon!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I'm debating about going with a club level room. Can anyone share their experience and the type of food they serve in the lounge.
Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Resort Fee

I'm confused about any resort fees (as of June 2012): my corporate rate shows a $16 resort fee, but the pre-paid rates do not. Nor do any of the point awards mention a resort fee, and the website does not have any description of what that fee includes. Perhaps DiplomaticErick can clarify?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Take a look at the W SoBe Master thread. If you search the thread for "Westin Diplomat" ... you'll see plenty comparisons listed there.

In short ...
- People
- Value
- Accessibility of the pool facilities
- SPG amenities (no SPG check-in line, upgrades few/far between)

YMMV
The W and the Westin are two hotels that are just not comparable. Even their location is not comparable. It all depends on what your are looking for. I personally enjoyed the W.South Beach. The Westin is a very nice hotel, it's huge, and as holds lots of conventions.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:20 am
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm confused about any resort fees (as of June 2012): my corporate rate shows a $16 resort fee, but the pre-paid rates do not. Nor do any of the point awards mention a resort fee, and the website does not have any description of what that fee includes. Perhaps DiplomaticErick can clarify?

Thanks in advance.
Hello itsaboutthejourney,
We no longer have a resort fee on property, we did but this was about 7 or 8 years ago. This could be an error on how the corporate rate is built. Would you be able to PM me you confirmation #?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by oreo2222
The W and the Westin are two hotels that are just not comparable. Even their location is not comparable. It all depends on what your are looking for. I personally enjoyed the W.South Beach. The Westin is a very nice hotel, it's huge, and as holds lots of conventions.
Yes, I agree it all depends what you are looking for. I agree there is no comparision between the two - but for my own circumstances, and based on my experience, the Dip is WAY better.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm heading here for a conference in October. Is there actually anything to do in walking distance of the hotel?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by chexfan
I'm heading here for a conference in October. Is there actually anything to do in walking distance of the hotel?
Can you define what "walking distance" is to you and what you might be interested in?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I woudn't say there is much to "do" within walking distance - most people go there to enjoy the pools and the beach.

The Trolley stops right at the hotel, and the water taxi stops right across the street at the landing - you can look up where both of those go (I think the water taxi might go all the way to downtown Ft. Lauderdale with a change or two) so you can really get to most places in the area if you have the desire and the time.

You can also take the free Diplomat shuttle to go over to the Golf location to either play golf or use their small spa. Both locations have workout rooms.

Without knowing what you want to "do" it's hard to give advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.