Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:12 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I redeemed a FRN here last month for one night, just to get an idea of the resort. In fact I did so because of all the positive reviews on FT.

I arrived around 3pm and was told my room was in the final stages of being prepared and that it would be a 20 or so minute wait. I was sent up to the club lounge to wait. The lounge is modern well appointed and has a great view on the ocean and intercoastal.

An hour later and my room wasn't yet ready. I go back down to reception, where I am told the suite I had been allocated failed its quality test and could not be allocated and that housekeeping were waiting for another suite to become vacant at 4pm.

As compensation for the delay, front desk offered (I did not prompt for this) a 100 USD food/beverage voucher. I found this extremely pro-active and great recognition of SPG plat status, especially on an award stay.

The rest of my stay was very pleasant: modern property and rooms, great views, very nice lounge and great staff.

I've decided to come back to this property as soon as I can, as it is a true gem in the SPG network.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:43 am
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

Originally Posted by saruakai
After reading this thread, I realized I should join in the conversation/flyertalk!

So after much contemplation, I have decided to cancel my Marriott South Beach reservation and book 5 nights here at the Diplomat starting this weekend using ALL of my SPG points ( .no more points left in my account). Hopefully after this AMAZING stay, looking at my empty spg account will not be so agonizing.

I realized I by accidentally booked a king size room instead of two doubles. I can't cancel my reservation now because it's past the cancellation period, so hopefully I will get a good Plat upgrade. I am taking my mom and my sister on vacation with me before the Holidays! Weeee!
Hello Sa Ruaki,

Please PM me with your reservation details to see if there is anything I can do to help.

Erick,
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by JBauer
I have heard so many good things about this property -- especially in regards to Platinum treatment. Well we are going for the first time next week with a big group of family. I must say that Erick (on this board) has been incredibly helpful with our reservations and helping to sort out our plans. While some hotels have lurkers that occasionally post here, Erick is the real deal. Very proactive and incredibly helpful.

Looking forward to our stay.
JBauer, thank you for the kind words. We look forward to having you visit us soon.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:35 am
Suspended

After reading this thread, I realized I should join in the conversation/flyertalk!

So after much contemplation, I have decided to cancel my Marriott South Beach reservation and book 5 nights here at the Diplomat starting this weekend using ALL of my SPG points ( .no more points left in my account). Hopefully after this AMAZING stay, looking at my empty spg account will not be so agonizing.

I realized I by accidentally booked a king size room instead of two doubles. I can't cancel my reservation now because it's past the cancellation period, so hopefully I will get a good Plat upgrade. I am taking my mom and my sister on vacation with me before the Holidays! Weeee!
why did you blow your pts when its only $169 a night. No way would I ever use 12k to offset only $169 , even C&P @ $90 and 4800 pts doesnt give me a reason not to pay the $169 since the 4800 saves me only $79

However in a few weeks when the rate is 2x or 3x the $169 then for sure all pts or C&P is very much in order
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG -Plat, Marriott-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Very True. However, I bought 4 nights, so I got one free. I only used 48,000 points for 5 days which is only 9,600 points per night. I did not want to spend any money out of my pocket and was looking at all the other hotel options in sobe, fll and this was the best one factoring in parking is only $20 dollars a day here compared to $34 in Sobe.

In a few weeks, I can't travel on vacation, so to me it doesn't really matter the rate then versus now as it all depends on when I can take the time off.

Also I have planned some activities in both fort lauderdale and some in Miami, so this was equal distance to both area.

I did not want to blow 140,000 points at the Sobe Marriott for 5 days and not be guaranteed a more spacious room. Also because I want to see my marriott rewards reach 1MM points in a couple of wks.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Very True. However, I bought 4 nights, so I got one free. I only used 48,000 points for 5 days which is only 9,600 points per night. I did not want to spend any money out of my pocket and was looking at all the other hotel options in sobe, fll and this was the best one factoring in parking is only $20 dollars a day here compared to $34 in Sobe.

In a few weeks, I can't travel on vacation, so to me it doesn't really matter the rate then versus now as it all depends on when I can take the time off.

Also I have planned some activities in both fort lauderdale and some in Miami, so this was equal distance to both area.

I did not want to blow 140,000 points at the Sobe Marriott for 5 days and not be guaranteed a more spacious room. Also because I want to see my marriott rewards reach 1MM points in a couple of wks.
My bad, I completely forgot about the 4 for 5 deal (Im usually a 1 night per stay person at times maybe 2, very rare for me to stay anywhere for 5 nights straight) and as you said if not spending any $$ is the goal or the least amount possible. Then besides the W in SOBE you made the Best choice! going with The Dip

Was heading there myself to blow thru my last 3 FRNs especially with what The W charges for parking, then I found theres a Express Bus from MIA to Collins and 24th for $2.35 each way. Hello W. Worse comes to worse I may do a day rlocal rental and get it back before they close so as to avoid any parking charges, which just might be more costly then the car itself

BTW Welcome to FT
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:53 am

My older sis is staying at the W Sobe for 2 nights arriving this sunday. She's taking the trolley and bus everywhere she goes or we will pick her up if we go outside of the beach area. I was going to use my points there, but would have only gotten 2 nights for it, so not worth it.

Also if you do rent a car, try parking at the local garages. I read that if you park in a metered spot or miami beach parking lot above 23rd street it's 15 dollar flat all day (pay and display ticket) and it's free from 6 pm to 9 am. That knocks off half the price of parking at W sobe, but you would need to put a new ticket on your dashboard at 9 am. In terms of where these lots are, I am not 100% sure, but they do exist.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Just spent 2 days at the W SOBE and 2 days at the Westin Diplomat. Both are great properties. If you're going for location, W SOBE can't be beat. If you're looking for a great overall stay, the Westin Diplomat is the place to be. Westin Diplomat upgraded me to a corner suite with full ocean view and has a Westin Executive Lounge that is the best by far. Incredible views from the 33rd floor and nice big prawns at the evening service.

Regarding parking at the W SOBE, best bet is to park in the public parking lot 10 steps from the front entrance. Tickets are sold at the machine on the lot and you just place it on your dash. Very convenient even with a roller bag. There is a 6 or 7 hour max for $15/$17 but that doesn't apply after 9 pm. If you're going to have a car parked the entire day you're better off using the hotel valet for $35. It works out to the same money in the end and without the hassle of moving your car by 9 am.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:30 am

Large but very nice property

Just returned post-cruise for a one night using cash ($90) and 4,000 points which was good considering the rack rate for a Saturday night. Arrived around 11:00 am and self parked across the street. There's a skywalk to cross the busy street and plenty of bellman to help with luggage and hold open doors. Front desk was excellent and they checked us in right away.

While only a Gold SPG member, I just requested a high floor and didn't request any specific view. Very pleased to end up with an oceanfront balcony room with a million dollar view! It was a handicap room with double beds and with exception of a small bathroom sink and handrails to allow handicap access to the toilet, the room otherwise seemed normal. For the view, we didn't care.

Went to the pool to relax, plenty of bar/food servers around. Ate at the sports bar by the parking garage for dinner. They had a great deal on buckets of beer and the pizza wasn't bad either.

Drove to the Hollywood boardwalk for a stroll, meters were $2/hr right by the beach. Had a great lunch at the Sugar Reef Cafe on Hollywood Beach. Was so good we went back for brunch the next day.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
PLT benefits at two locations

Hello DiplomaticErick:

A quick question about PLT benefits at the two locations. My understanding is that the golf course location is 1.5 miles away and it does not have an Executive lounge. Do you provide SPG PLT staying at the golf location an access to the Executive lounge in the main Diplomat location or some amenity instead?

The last time I stayed at the golf course location was almost immediately after it was opened. At that time it was treated as a separate sister property, if I remember correctly.

Thank you in advance,
Alex_I.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:05 am

Hi Alex,

Yes, the golf location is 1.5 miles form the and it does not have an Executive Lounge. We do however offer shuttle service between the two locations and as a Platinum member will have the access to the lounge at the Beach location.

Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by Alex_I
Hello DiplomaticErick:

A quick question about PLT benefits at the two locations. My understanding is that the golf course location is 1.5 miles away and it does not have an Executive lounge. Do you provide SPG PLT staying at the golf location an access to the Executive lounge in the main Diplomat location or some amenity instead?

The last time I stayed at the golf course location was almost immediately after it was opened. At that time it was treated as a separate sister property, if I remember correctly.

Thank you in advance,
Alex_I.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by DiplomaticErick
Hi Alex,

Yes, the golf location is 1.5 miles form the and it does not have an Executive Lounge. We do however offer shuttle service between the two locations and as a Platinum member will have the access to the lounge at the Beach location.

Happy New Year!
Thank you, Erick:

It is certainly nice to know about these two choices at the Diplomat and amenities for PLTs. I do have very warm memories of staying at your golf location several years ago.

Looking forward to my stay,
Alex_I
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
wow. the rumors are true

So, I've heard so much about this place I figured we had to check it out (usually stay at W FTL or W South Beach). Expectations were high and we were not disappointed. First off, Erik of FT fame here, was very helpful. And I had the pleasure of meeting him in the flesh and blood at the hotel, which was great.

We went with our 2 small children (1 and 3) and grandparents the week before xmas. As a Plat, our room was upgraded to a great suite. I've heard that this is the best property for upgrades and it must be true. With the two small kids it was great to have a big living room for them to play. And the views are stunning. These balconies just hang over the ocean, so you can lay in bed and listen to the waves crash at night.

This is a great place for families. It has several pools and one is perfect for small children to play -- not a 'kids' pool, but a nice big and shallow pool for kids. There is also a great Kids Club as well as a kids play area on the beach -- and, mopst amazingly, some huge bouncy houses for kids to play in in the shade -- like a carnival. There are also water sports and we took the 3-year-old jet skiing and he loved it.

The staff here was all so incredibly friendly. Everyone was so nice to the kids and the place is very clean and safe.

The beach location is great, however the location of the hotel is not great in regards to walking to restaurants -- however that is more a byproduct of the city than the hotel. It is quick and easy to take cabs -- or drive. And there are 2 restaurants you can walk to across a pedestrian bridge.

The lounge is also fantastic. Amazing views and huge. However, you have to pay for alcohol (boo) and the breakfast spread is just simple bagels.

Overall, this is a great family place and we can't wait to go back! Honestly, this has to be one of the nicest family starwoods in North America.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG-plat, AirMiles-gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
This is a great place for families. It has several pools and one is perfect for small children to play -- not a 'kids' pool, but a nice big and shallow pool for kids. There is also a great Kids Club as well as a kids play area on the beach -- and, mopst amazingly, some huge bouncy houses for kids to play in in the shade -- like a carnival. There are also water sports and we took the 3-year-old jet skiing and he loved it.
My family and I had a great stay last year. I didn't see the Kids Club nor the bouncy houses. Where were they?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:53 pm

Amazing Property and Eric is the Best

This property exceeded our expectations! My recent stay was fabulous from the amazing suite to the service we received! The property was beautiful with the whole place decked out for Christmas with the Christmas tree, gingerbread house, wreaths, etc. Our room was so nice overlooking the ocean that when I woke up in the morning on the 29th floor, the blue ocean greets me through the window.

Eric is great and he made our stay more than enjoyable. My mom was ecstatic about the little bday present she received!!

The executive lounge was massive and crowded during breakfast throughout the week, but if you do a quick grab and go, it would suffice.

The pool was amazing, we had so much fun swimming in it. The ocean was rough a few days and my sister got bitten by a jellyfish but the lifeguard was so nice spraying her with vinegar.

My family is planning on doing a yearly trip at this property considering how much fun we had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.