FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/175890-gone-westin-diplomat-hollywood-fl-master-thread-left-starwood-30-oct-2014-a.html)

BlissWorld Mar 20, 2008 12:52 pm

free water on club floor suite :D Also, free bottled water in lounge :D

tommy777 Mar 20, 2008 12:57 pm

I heard you... ;)

Got a very nice feedback from the hotel today, please note the following:

And, finally, you may be pleased to know that next month we will begin a multi-million-dollar renovation program that will include the public areas of the resort as well as all the guest rooms that will feature several enhancements including the installation of the new Westin signature Heavenly Beds.

I will give the property a try again when I go back to the area in September ^

PS! They gave me 1000 Starpoints for my "inconvenience".

craz Mar 20, 2008 1:42 pm

OK not FIGI water but usually one can find a garbage can full of iceand bottles of water on the left side just before the reception desk, and also outside on the top of the stairs on your left when walking out of the hotel.

Never purchased a single bottle when I was staying here either pooled them from the cans listed above or the Lounge

HanL Mar 21, 2008 7:39 am

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 9439516)
I heard you... ;)

Got a very nice feedback from the hotel today, please note the following:

And, finally, you may be pleased to know that next month we will begin a multi-million-dollar renovation program that will include the public areas of the resort as well as all the guest rooms that will feature several enhancements including the installation of the new Westin signature Heavenly Beds.

Any more info about the renovation? I've got a stay coming up in July.

lambrettaStarr Mar 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by HanL (Post 9443019)
Any more info about the renovation? I've got a stay coming up in July.

I am very curious as to which pieces they are upgrading - I think this is one of the nicest Westins. I am consistently impressed by the service and room quality at this hotel. Have only had suites (including the governor's suite) and they are all amazing.

Here's hoping for an upgrade next weekend!!

Benjh Apr 22, 2008 2:36 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 8201224)
First, understand the environment. IIRC it's on the 33rd floor, there's both indoor and outdoor seating, one side looking out at the ocean and the other side looking out at the intracoastal waterway.

There's the standard continental breakfast but it's quite bountiful with lox, and a good variety of fruits, breads, etc. Quite substantive.

There's late afternoon / pre-dinner h'or deourves and cocktails.

And there's an after dinner lovely dessert presentation.

Nice TVs, some games, newspapers, in a lovely and comfortable environment with soft drinks all day along with a dedicated lounge staff.

Is there a way for a preferred level member to access the executive lounge? Using points perhaps?

gleff Apr 22, 2008 4:41 am

Yes, IIRC 2500 points/night

Benjh Apr 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I just called to book 3 nights with Cash + points (may 9th to 12th) but couldn't get an oceanview ("grand deluxe") room that way :-( Had to get a regular room with "resort view". Anyone knows how I can get the grand deluxe? Apparently it doesn't show up as a possible upgrade in the rep's system.

gleff Apr 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 9616360)
I just called to book 3 nights with Cash + points (may 9th to 12th) but couldn't get an oceanview ("grand deluxe") room that way :-( Had to get a regular room with "resort view". Anyone knows how I can get the grand deluxe? Apparently it doesn't show up as a possible upgrade in the rep's system.

You can't book an advance upgrade through SPG with additional points when booking cash + points.

You can spend additional points on a regular award, or request that the hotel redeem an instant award for the upgrade.

Benjh Apr 23, 2008 10:29 am

do you think if I book a grand deluxe the first night with points only, then regular with cash+points for the 2 following night, the hotel will more likely offer to upgrade me (as in, stay in the same room) for the 2 following night?

Has anyone tried this before, here or somewhere else?

fly co to see the yanks Apr 23, 2008 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 9620456)
do you think if I book a grand deluxe the first night with points only, then regular with cash+points for the 2 following night, the hotel will more likely offer to upgrade me (as in, stay in the same room) for the 2 following night?

Has anyone tried this before, here or somewhere else?

i think this is a clear case of YMMV, if i've ever heard it. i think it will solely depend on availability. if they need the better room, i don't think they'll have any qualms about moving you.

gleff Apr 26, 2008 7:48 am

Can anyone suggest a decent lunch place, preferably on the water, near the Diplomat? Looking for something off the resort, within a few miles, lunch is for 8 people and the place would ideally take reservations. Appreciate any input. ^

tommy777 Apr 26, 2008 8:34 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 9635559)
Can anyone suggest a decent lunch place, preferably on the water, near the Diplomat? Looking for something off the resort, within a few miles, lunch is for 8 people and the place would ideally take reservations. Appreciate any input. ^

Found a great place on the Waterways 5 minutes drive from the Diplomat. Great food and atmosphere at reasonable prices. Swiss/Germans style food, a lot of good seafood as well.

Peppermill on the Waterway

Address: 3595 Northeast 207th Street
Aventura, FL 33180
Located In: Waterways Shoppes
Telephone: 305-466-2016

MJonTravel Apr 26, 2008 8:57 am

In the opinion of my fellow FT'ers, is this hotel worth the trip north from MIA for one-night pre-cruise. I will be sailing from Miami. I want to go Starwood for this trip, but the choices are few close to Miami, and I gather the 4 points is not worth it for even one night?

cranrob Apr 28, 2008 11:59 am

Try Billy's Stone Crab, about a mile north of the resort:
http://www.stone-crabs.com/

They have a few outdoor tables on the intercostal, and an indoor dining upstairs with intercostal views.

jottoson May 2, 2008 9:00 pm

Its Not Like It Used to Be

I have stayed at the Wesin Diplomat 30 times in the past 6 years.

This being said: The Westin Diplomat has the best Platinum Recognition in the chain, However, things have changed...

Upgrades: Used to be done a few days after booking, now are done the day before checking. (Not that i have any problems getting a suite, but its nice to know in advance)

Club lounge: Breakfast has not changed. Water went form Fiji to Nestle. Evening hors devoures are minimal. They used to be MUCH better. Prices for drinks used to good. $3-5. Now they are at $5-$8. I can go to the lobby bar for $10.

Pool Service: incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes you are greeted by an attendant who sets up a chair, gives you 3 towels and a glass of water. Other times you get in line, show your room card and get one towel.

The one thing that has not changed is the excellent treatment that you receive from the staff. They approach 5*.

gleff May 3, 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by jottoson (Post 9669567)
Upgrades: Used to be done a few days after booking, now are done the day before checking.

I have noticed this as well. Fair enough, and I can't really expect different, but still :(

beachfan May 3, 2008 10:46 am

Breakfast has changed. Although the smoked salmon is still there (yea!), the espresso machine in the back has been removed. Espresso is my numero uno breakfast choice.j

Friday evening hors' d'ouerves were more than minimal, chicken salad and crab salad. Not the beast in the world, but better than kibble and bits.

Only one type of cheese.

Benjh May 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Great Diplomat Stay

Trip report - I was at the westin diplomat last week end: May 9th to May 12th.

First of all I want to say how impressed I was with the hotel and the level of service I received over those 3 nights. I'm not plat or gold so I'm happy to report us lowly preffered guest level members of starwood can enjoy this amazing property just as much.

As I had reported before in this thread, I wanted to stay in the oceanview room for all 3 nights but could not afford to shell out the cash to do so and you can't book it with points. So I paid the fare for the first night, then booked on points a balcony with resort view for the following two nights (7.5k points a night). I requested an upgrade to oceanview for the last two nights in the special comments of my reservation. This was really the most important thing for my stay, both my gf and I were really counting on it.

Well they didn't have to do it but I'm happy to report it worked out like a charm. We were greeted at check-in by a trainee who let us know we'd keep our oceanview room for the length of the stay. And what a room. the balcony and its view is spectacular, the heavenly bed as great as advertised, and the bathroom fantastic, both in design and practicality. Truly fantastic rooms.

The pool is a delight, and we never had to fight for a spot around it. The beach is fantastic, the service there great. I only regret we had to pay $10 for a lounge and $15 for an umbrella. That's an extra $35 per day to properly enjoy the beach (not the case around the pool). I'd expect such cost to be included in the price of the room, but oh well. On monday, the wind was so strong the manager forbid the use of umbrellas. When we decided to go to the pool for the day because of this, we were immediately refunded our $35.

It's been mentioned the hotel nickel-and-dimes you, but I didn't find it so much more expensive than other comparable hotels. The $7 water-bottle is an exception, sodas were $3.5. The mini-bar is fantastically furnished.

I was a little disappointed by the restaurants. Aizia was very expensive, and I was expecting a much fancier place. Rather boring. The cafe is nice, but with a $25 deluxe buffet for breakfast, expensive. I regret there isn't a regular-continental brkfst offer (without the egg and waffle-to-order station for example). Such an offer is available only as in-room dining, and for $15 IIRC.

On our first morning, a saturday, we were woken up at 8am by construction noise close to our room. Although it wasn't unbearably loud, it was annoying enough that we were unable to fall back asleep. I called the front-desk, got an apology and an offer to switch room to a quieter side of the hotel. However I was told no other rooms were available until 1pm that day. I took them up on the offer and moved rooms that afternoon (same kind of room). I was so happy with everything else that I didn't complain more. I expected some kind of gesture to compensate for my trouble (and only alluded to it briefly) but didn't receive a thing. No big deal, but I wonder what other FTers think the hotel should have done. Also the front desk obviously knew about the construction in advance ( I was told it had been going on all-week and would resume on the following monday), it should have been noted on the hotel's page on spg.com.

Other than this, there was once small event, but I will write about it in another thread. It was such a one-time-out-of-the-ordinary thing I don't want to discuss it here and tarnish the Westin Diplomat otherwise fantastic and rightly-deserved reputation.

I also want to note it never took more than 5 minutes to get my car from the valet (a far cry from the 20-minute complaint I heard somewhere else).

I will return to the diplomat in a heartbeat, it is a fantastic alternative to South Beach's hotels and its unbearable atmosphere (and only a 20-minute drive if no traffic, I have done it several time). It's also a less than 10-minute drive from Aventura mall, its restaurants and 24-room AMC theatre.

Hope this non-status report will be helpful to some folks out there. Pics to come.

tommy777 May 14, 2008 4:01 pm

Thank you for the report!

Please note that when you are staying at a 400USD+ luxury property, you should expect a lot.

My beef with this hotel:

No Heavenly beds in most suites, but they will be in place by this fall.
Valet, it was definitely more than 5 minutes, more like 20. It might have been a busy day with a big conference when we were there...
Slow and not up to par housekeeping. A small thing I would never complain about if this wasn't a 400USD+ property.
Turndown service only 1 out of 4 nights and it was half a**.

Just little things. And like I said, I will go back in September

MiAAmiNice May 15, 2008 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=tommy777;9725725]Thank you for the report!

Please note that when you are staying at a 400USD+ luxury property, you should expect a lot.

My beef with this hotel:

Valet, it was definitely more than 5 minutes, more like 20. It might have been a busy day with a big conference when we were there...

I don't wait for the valet to fetch the car at the Diplomat anymore. I self-park now.

fly co to see the yanks May 15, 2008 2:49 pm

1) i only self park at this hotel. during the weekend nights over the winter, the valet/driveway is a loony bin with car stretched back to the road.

2) given the recent threads (i.e., the "no power = only 5K points...after an initial refusal to give any points" thread), it seems as if this hotel is a bit stingy when it comes to compensation. if i was woken up by construction on a saturday morning at 8 am, i would have expected some token of goodwill given the hotel's rates/star level. during my last stay, housekeeping woke me from a great nap by calling my room asking when i wanted service despite the DND sign on the door (one of my top hotel pet peeves). when i mentioned it to the hotel, they basically told me to pound salt. :rolleyes:

DH Jul 18, 2008 10:24 am

Nice Stay!

Originally Posted by jottoson (Post 9669567)
Club lounge: Breakfast has not changed. Water went form Fiji to Nestle. Evening hors devoures are minimal. They used to be MUCH better. Prices for drinks used to good. $3-5. Now they are at $5-$8. I can go to the lobby bar for $10.

Pool Service: incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes you are greeted by an attendant who sets up a chair, gives you 3 towels and a glass of water. Other times you get in line, show your room card and get one towel.

From past (first) April stay -

Booked Club level room and asked and received overview room as gold.

I only complain about club food offering is that there was no hot dish choice, otherwise very good offering.

My pool service experience was exactly same as jottoson's; mixed.

Even though there is no indoor pool, there is covered area (under the upper side pool) where my family played during a couple of passing rains.

My 2 cents...

chanp Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am

i stayed here a few weeks ago. they always upgrade me to a corner suite. this time on the 19th floor. the club lounge has Fiji back now :) food selection was decent in the evenings. the asian restaurant downstairs is not so great. the steak house was decent. did self park with no real problems

mbmiles88 Jul 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Upgrade at Westin Diplomat

Hi guys,

I have a trip planned with my family at the Westin Diplomat coming up. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and I was wondering what kind of upgrade to expect for us and what other benefits we will get as Platinum. We booked a Standard 2 Double Bed room for the 4 of us. Is it possible that they will upgrade us to a suite?

yanxfann Jul 30, 2008 3:20 pm

By all accounts the chances of a Plat being upgraded at the Diplomat - although not guaranteed - are very good. My one trip there was around Super Bowl time this year and we paid a $160/nite govt rate, we were upgraded to a 775 sq ft Ocean View Corner Suite on the 29th Floor which we were thrilled with. The SPG web site listed this room listed for $910/nite (of course I realize that nobody actually pays that), that monster rate included a "indulge Pkg-Bkfast For 2 Daily In Room Or Restaurant, Sparkling Wine And Strawberries" which we didn't get but we did receive access to the Executive Club.

craz Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Although The Dip is usually very forth coming with som ereally great UPs. I dont how they will handle a res with 4 people. Bout the only really comfortable way would be a Suite with 2 bedrooms, that I wouldnt think is a shoo-in

A 1 bedroon suite might have a pull out couch but the mattresses arent anything to speak of. Getting 2 roll-aways might work but then the living room will have to be rearranged, dont know if The Dip will go that far

anyway OP do inform Us what if anything happens

jottoson Jul 30, 2008 7:17 pm

I have stayed at the Diplomat 32 times since its opening. Having said that, I have been upgraded to a suite 100% of the time, but I have never been more than 2 people.

All 90+ suites have 1 king size bed.

Both the Corner and diplomat suites can easily sleep up to 4 on the sofa. However, the hotel may be reluctant to automatically upgrade a room with only one bed.

If you dont mind a sofa and one bed, the view and room is WELL WORTH IT.

Call the hotel the morning of check-in and ask for the upgrade.

mbmiles88 Jul 30, 2008 11:38 pm

Also, will all 4 of us recieve access to the Executive Club, or just myself?

thaliajen Jul 30, 2008 11:57 pm

I've stayed several times as a Plat and always get a suite upgrade. I just got back from the Bahamas a few weeks back and stayed at Westin Lucaya. Compared to where you're headed, WL was like a super 8!

I would assume you'd all get access to the club, if every name is registered, but I never assume. For some reason I can't recall much about the club, but if I DO remember it was a bit of a walk within the hotel but nice.

One Plat concierge told me that if you reserve a room with 2 beds, the upgrade chances are less because most suites have a bedroom with one bed. It's what I was told, may or may not be true. I would do as previous poster mentioned- phone the hotel the day of. Tell them you're wondering about availability of a suite upgrade. They'll give you one if they have one, but I don't think both rooms would be upgraded.

Interesting situation w/2 rooms. I can say that 1 of New York's Sheraton Times Square Hotels (can't recall which of the 2 it was) upgraded me for a full week to a suite from my King room reservation and made sure my second room was connected. The 2nd room had 2 beds and then a strange door tunnel connected the room to the living area of the suite, which had a pull-out sofa bed and a King sized bedroom. We all 4 got club access, which was nice. Both rooms were registered in my name but I added all 3 additional people to the list at front desk when checking in.

That is the only time I remember having 2 rooms reserved but we had no trouble with lounge access or upgrade.

Good Luck!!!

mbmiles88 Jul 31, 2008 12:49 am

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 10125157)
I've stayed several times as a Plat and always get a suite upgrade. I just got back from the Bahamas a few weeks back and stayed at Westin Lucaya. Compared to where you're headed, WL was like a super 8!

I would assume you'd all get access to the club, if every name is registered, but I never assume. For some reason I can't recall much about the club, but if I DO remember it was a bit of a walk within the hotel but nice.

One Plat concierge told me that if you reserve a room with 2 beds, the upgrade chances are less because most suites have a bedroom with one bed. It's what I was told, may or may not be true. I would do as previous poster mentioned- phone the hotel the day of. Tell them you're wondering about availability of a suite upgrade. They'll give you one if they have one, but I don't think both rooms would be upgraded.

Interesting situation w/2 rooms. I can say that 1 of New York's Sheraton Times Square Hotels (can't recall which of the 2 it was) upgraded me for a full week to a suite from my King room reservation and made sure my second room was connected. The 2nd room had 2 beds and then a strange door tunnel connected the room to the living area of the suite, which had a pull-out sofa bed and a King sized bedroom. We all 4 got club access, which was nice. Both rooms were registered in my name but I added all 3 additional people to the list at front desk when checking in.

That is the only time I remember having 2 rooms reserved but we had no trouble with lounge access or upgrade.

Good Luck!!!

Actually, we only have one room, not 2. The wife and I and the kids are all booked in one room.

HanL Jul 31, 2008 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mbmiles88 (Post 10122951)
Hi guys,

I have a trip planned with my family at the Westin Diplomat coming up. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and I was wondering what kind of upgrade to expect for us and what other benefits we will get as Platinum. We booked a Standard 2 Double Bed room for the 4 of us. Is it possible that they will upgrade us to a suite?

Just returned from my vacation. Stayed 5 days at the Diplomat. I also booked a standard 2 Double bed room. Also two adults and two children. One week before arrival we were upgraded to a corner suite on the 24th floor. Pull-out sofa is OK for kids. All of us were granted access to the Executive Lounge. Had a great stay.

Good luck.

Starwood Lurker Jul 31, 2008 9:52 am

Originally Posted by mbmiles88 (Post 10125095)
Also, will all 4 of us recieve access to the Executive Club, or just myself?

The benefit in the Terms and Conditions of membership in SPG is defined as being for the Platinum member plus one other guest in the room. If any other outcome is experienced, it is based upon the generosity of the hotel. So, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

tommy777 Aug 6, 2008 10:31 am

Update

My wife and I decided to go back to the Diplomat for a long weekend in October this year. I e-mailed Guy, the Guest Relations person I interacted with after our last stay and requested a room that has been updated with the Heavenly Bed. He wrote back immediately and confirmed us in a freshly refurbished Corner Suite with the Heavenly Bed

Will write a report after this (paid) stay. I recommend all Plat members to contact Guy and make sure you get a Heavenly bed the next time you stay at the Diplomat. He's the best!

NWAsilvELITE Aug 6, 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 10159505)
My wife and I decided to go back to the Diplomat for a long weekend in October this year. I e-mailed Guy, the Guest Relations person I interacted with after our last stay and requested a room that has been updated with the Heavenly Bed. He wrote back immediately and confirmed us in a freshly refurbished Corner Suite with the Heavenly Bed

Will write a report after this (paid) stay. I recommend all Plat members to contact Guy and make sure you get a Heavenly bed the next time you stay at the Diplomat. He's the best!

tommy777:

Do you have the email address for Guy that you could post here or PM me with the address? I am headed here in the middle of Sept. this year and have emailed Diplomatic Amy regarding an upgrade for this visit. She took very good care of my wife and I a couple of years ago when we were there and upgraded us to a corner suite as well. It was awsome!!!! I haven't heard back from her as of yet and I don't know if she moved to a different position in higher command or what. Her title at that time was complex director of revenue management. All I know is I am looking to get out of MI for a couple of days!!!!!

Please let me know. Thank you!

tommy777 Aug 6, 2008 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE (Post 10160664)
tommy777:

Do you have the email address for Guy that you could post here or PM me with the address? I am headed here in the middle of Sept. this year and have emailed Diplomatic Amy regarding an upgrade for this visit. She took very good care of my wife and I a couple of years ago when we were there and upgraded us to a corner suite as well. It was awsome!!!! I haven't heard back from her as of yet and I don't know if she moved to a different position in higher command or what. Her title at that time was complex director of revenue management. All I know is I am looking to get out of MI for a couple of days!!!!!

Please let me know. Thank you!

YGPM

adamak Aug 6, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm thinking going there for Labor Day. How busy does it get? Also, is it worth emailing them pre-arrival to get the best upgrade?
And is there any must-try restaurants around the area? We pla to have a rental car.

tommy777 Aug 7, 2008 10:39 am

I wouldn't encourage everyone to e-mail the guest relations manager to ask for upgrades, the Diplomat will give them to you without asking in advance. AFAIK most rooms have the Heavenly Bed now, so no need to e-mail him about that either

But if you have an issue with your stay, he is a good guy to contact. The reason he upgraded us was because he promised us an upgrade because of a few disappointments we had back in March.

So I won't post his e-mail, but if you have an issue, feel free to PM me

dmbfan222 Aug 18, 2008 8:20 am

I have an upcoming stay 8/28-31 and was wondering if anyone has an update on the renovations/heavenly bed installations that have been going on this year. If major renovations are going on I might choose to stay at another property.

Thanks!

jottoson Sep 7, 2008 4:41 pm

Renovations?

I have not been to the Westin Diplomat since March and I am wondering if anyone has any information on the status of the room and property renovations, plus details and pictures. Thanks