FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/175890-gone-westin-diplomat-hollywood-fl-master-thread-left-starwood-30-oct-2014-a.html)

PokerWhammy Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Suite questions

What is the difference between a diplomat & corner suite (bedrooms, # of beds, balconies)

It seems to me there are several kinds of suites
-Some with balconies, some without balconies, & some that are not ocean front. What is the most common assigment to a Plat (oceanfront/resort view, balcony/no balcony, club floor/not on club floor)?

So I am going in May for 1st time as Plat, but I will need two beds. Does that mean that I will not receive a suite upgrade if I need two beds?

I would rather get a room with 2 beds & an oceanfront balcony, than a suite on without a balcony or a balcony on the back side of the property.

Also for the club lounge, do they ask for your room number or something every time you enter so they can give you a zero check?

IrishStephen Mar 13, 2010 1:27 am

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy (Post 13566965)
So I am going in May for 1st time as Plat, but I will need two beds. Does that mean that I will not receive a suite upgrade if I need two beds?

Firstly I have to once again take my hat off to the staff of this property. I just got caught up in the BA strike and have had to move my flights forward thus having me spend over two weeks at the Westin Diplomat now. I emailed someone in the hotel yesterday that I have previously dealt with explaining what has happened and advising of my extended stay using a mixture of Revenue stays and C&P's and they emailed me back within an hour. These people really are top of their game and there is nowhere else I would stay while in the Miami area. It's well worth staying there and driving into Miami.

As for the two bed question. All suits to my experience have a pull out double sofa bed. I have been lucky enough to stay in Corner Suites mainly but I know that the other two types of suites I had also had pull out sofa bed's.

itsaboutthejourney Mar 13, 2010 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 13563550)
WestLA-FF, craz & margarita girl at the Diplomat at the same time?

Oh, lord! craz is a handful alone, now he has an entourage to assist in the debauchery. This could be the beginning of the end, of our good FT reputation at this property!

Lets pray that tommy777, controller1, itsaboutthejourney or yyznomad do not show up or the place could be closed down permanently! LOL

Poor DiplomaticAmy!

I'll let tommy777 fire off a million questions to engage & distract the FD while I sneak a look at the upgrade list. :D

KENNECTED Mar 13, 2010 4:37 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 13567661)
I'll let tommy777 fire off a million questions to engage & distract the FD while I sneak a look at the upgrade list. :D

See what I mean folks, you can't take some people anywhere!

controller1 Mar 13, 2010 8:23 am

Oh, lord! craz is a handful alone, now he has an entourage to assist in the debauchery. This could be the beginning of the end, of our good FT reputation at this property!

Lets pray that tommy777, controller1, itsaboutthejourney or yyznomad do not show up or the place could be closed down permanently! LOL

Poor DiplomaticAmy!

I was there in November for three days and couldn't find any FTer there, only a bunch of financial analysts everywhere!

IrishStephen Mar 13, 2010 9:54 am

I will be at the hotel from March 18th to the 4th of April so if anyone is staying there drop me a private message.

margarita girl Mar 13, 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by IrishStephen (Post 13568904)
I will be at the hotel from March 18th to the 4th of April so if anyone is staying there drop me a private message.

Originally Posted by WestLA-FF (Post 13563359)
Mini-do Sunday 3/21 night sounds fun. Lounge would be great, but if Craz isn't upgraded, will he be able to access?
Meet @ sunset? (7:30 PM or so)

And get your 15% F&B discount at the restaurants here:
http://florida.destinations.starwood..._upgradeLP_SEC

Excellent! We now have 4 FTers at the Diplomat at the same time!

WestLA-FF
Craz
IrishStephen
margarita girl

Anyone else want to join the party?

IrishStephen Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 13568946)
Excellent! We now have 4 FTers at the Diplomat at the same time!

WestLA-FF
Craz
IrishStephen
margarita girl

Anyone else want to join the party?

I will be there @ sunset but from memory that is usually around 6.45/7pm? Yes/No?

WestLA-FF Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by IrishStephen (Post 13572358)
I will be there @ sunset but from memory that is usually around 6.45/7pm? Yes/No?

Daylight Savings Time kicked in last night, pushing the clocks forward an hour. I think sunset will be around 7:30 or so next Sunday, 3/21, the day of the mini-do.

IrishStephen Mar 15, 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by WestLA-FF (Post 13576948)
Daylight Savings Time kicked in last night, pushing the clocks forward an hour. I think sunset will be around 7:30 or so next Sunday, 3/21, the day of the mini-do.

7.30pm then, it's an ermmmmmmmm............. appointment ;)

See you all there and thanks for the tip on the 15% off. Pity it seems its only for the restaurants and not the lobby bar and pool bar :(

yyznomad Mar 16, 2010 1:54 am

Poor DiplomaticAmy!

Are you referring to the time I ate all the food in the club lounge which meant that they only had super salty nuts left as snacks during off-times? :eek:

jottoson Mar 19, 2010 7:01 pm

[QUOTE=PokerWhammy;13566965]What is the difference between a diplomat & corner suite (bedrooms, # of beds, balconies)

Corner Suites - on the ocean side, about 700 sq ft, king size bed in the bedroom, fold out sofa bed in the living room. Balcony is long and skinny off of the bedroom. Rooms end in a 41 or a 71. These rooms will connect to a grand deluxe room.

Diplomat Suites - There are quite a few different arrangements. All are about 600 sq ft with a king size bed. The best of these are the following #s, 2931, 2981, 3031, 3081. These 4 have huge balconies with a table for four overlooking the intercoastal waterway. The south tower rooms (31) also have a view of the ocean. The balcony is off of the bedroom. The livingroom is smaller than that of the corner suites, but has another great view of the intercoastal.

The remainder of the diplomat suites are similar in design, but do not have balconies. Some are on the sides of the building, while others are on the intercoastal side.

The club floor suites are just diplomat and corner suites, but on the club floors.

Hope This Helps.

ttrltb Mar 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Long story, short...

Had a great stay at the Diplomat earlier this year & trying to catch up on my praise... :o
Can anyone PM me Amy's or GM's e-mail address to send my belated/overwhelming gratitude to? Will try to post my [glowing :)] review soon. All the hype is correct!

BL1KITW Mar 20, 2010 3:10 am

Diplomatic Amy

Originally Posted by ttrltb (Post 13610566)
Had a great stay at the Diplomat earlier this year & trying to catch up on my praise... :o
Can anyone PM me Amy's or GM's e-mail address to send my belated/overwhelming gratitude to? Will try to post my [glowing :)] review soon. All the hype is correct!

Y H P M

IrishStephen Mar 21, 2010 7:27 am

Originally Posted by IrishStephen (Post 13572358)

I might have a problem for 7.30pm tonight as I have a dinner reservation. I will pop in earlier than that and see if anyone is around but if not I am there every morning for breakfast around 8.30am and I am in a corner suite on the club floor :)