Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sorry, I know there are going to be give & take on both sides & the SPG side feels like it's going to get the shaft & there may be things that get dropped more on their end (although we won't know for a long while yet), but when it comes down to it it's still just a hotel program. It's not life & death.
I do think there is good reason to believe the SPG side will lose more during this dislocation of change forced upon us, if only because (in our estimation) SPG's benefits is superior to Marriotts (rightly or wrongly, no wish to debate this further). In addition, we'll lose (assuming) the best and most rewarding credit card points program on the Planet and facing potential devaluation of our existing points (some have Millions accrued over the years) and losing the unmatched flexibility of transferring at 25% bonus to more FFs than any other program.

There's a lot to lose.

Finally, as I'd experienced with the UA merger, the sudden influx of Elites will only mean watered down benefits for all. I fly out of SFO and the amount of GS/Elites from that Airport almost makes being a UA Elite meaningless.

On the bright side, I'll get to experience some MR properties. The Cosmo is pretty nice, right?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JK
Marriott's acquisition of Starwood receives antitrust approval in China; deal expected to close 23-Sep before market open
What is this? Actual news on FT?

Originally Posted by uxb
Marriott LNF > Starwoord BRG?
It certainly is for Marriott. I've never had one approved.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
No one in their right mind would split this omnibus speculation thread into five other speculation threads. I'd rather see a just the facts thread.
I agree. That is why I proposed to CLOSE this thread and start new threads for different topics. It would be specially helpful for those who don't read carefully
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by uxb
No one in their right mind would split this omnibus speculation thread into five other speculation threads. I'd rather see a just the facts thread.
That would be a very empty thread without further announcements from MR.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
To pretend there is anything beneficial about this from the loyal Starwood customer perspective is the only thing laughable. The only question is just how much we'll be hurt and how quickly...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by username
This thread is just too big to search.
There's no good news to search for here.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Just a matter of time before the entire SPG forum is moved into the Marriott one.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfong007
Just a matter of time before the entire SPG forum is moved into the Marriott one.
I'm not looking forward to that either.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by username
I do propose that we now close this thread and have different threads for different topics.
Just to draw a line under the speculative discussions about more speculative threads : until there's some factual information about changes to the SPG program, it'll be business as usual here the FT SPG forum and this single thread will remain the focus of discussions until that time.

/mod
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:31 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Nearly every single reservation I've made in the last two years has been a BRG reservation. In contrast, Marriott's LNF leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes I'm approved and sometimes I'm not despite the fact that I'm using the same sites.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
Agree just a separate thread on actual facts/official announcements would be great. This facts thread should be the one with the sticky.

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just to draw a line under the speculative discussions about more speculative threads : until there's some factual information about changes to the SPG program, it'll be business as usual here the FT SPG forum and this single thread will remain the focus of discussions until that time.

/mod
Then this thread title should be renamed. It's got nothing to do with the "Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger" when 99.99999999% of it is just rants/speculations. Discussions continue on this thread and unstick it from the top.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:17 am
uxb

Originally Posted by seawolf
Agree just a separate thread on actual facts/official announcements would be great. This facts thread should be the one with the sticky.

Then this thread title should be renamed. It's got nothing to do with the "Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger" when 99.99999999% of it is just rants/speculations. Discussions continue on this thread and unstick it from the top.
+1, I think I may be one of a handful of people who contributed actual facts to this thread, which has been meta for so many months now. At one point, the thread didn't even deal w/ Starwood's merger, but with United's RCC. A big SMH moment for sure.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Finally. Maybe this will put a stop to all the ranting on this thread.

But something the ranting will not stop.
so stop ranting, we know who's really doing the planting.

*drops mic*

respec, lin-manuel.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:53 am
uxb

Originally Posted by terpzone
so stop ranting, we know who's really doing the planting.

*drops mic*

respec, lin-manuel.
Slow down, Hamilton. seawolf and I are two of the handful of us who've subscribed to this thread for facts.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

I just hate that Marriott requires you to book first to submit. I've passed over a few Marriott properties after finding lower prepaid rates and being unable to submit a price match as the Marriott prepaid price was actually HIGHER than the refundable price and I wasn't willing to gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.