Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We dont anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, theres no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. Were working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we dont anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Sad, sad, so sad! The death of a great brand, Starwood, and a great program, Starwood Preferred Guest
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Visconti
Since distorting reality is no longer an option, on to the business of trying to maximize the value of remaining SPG points. So, realistically, we have until end of 2018 before SPG converts to MR?
I don't think it will be that long, unless you're discussing redemptions. I fully expects the programs to merge 1/1/18, but reservations you've made with SPG points by then should still be good, so you could redeem for stays until June 2019.

RIP SPG
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Finally. Maybe this will put a stop to all the ranting on this thread.

But something the ranting will not stop.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I wish all great SPG properties will flee to Hyatt.

Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by seawolf
Yes, but there shall be a new thread once the terms of the new combined program are announced. That could end up as the mother of all rant threads.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm planning a wake for tonight, followed by an extensive period of mourning.
Originally Posted by justforfun
It's a very sad day today.
Originally Posted by sapguy
Sad, sad, so sad! The death of a great brand, Starwood, and a great program, Starwood Preferred Guest
Booze is good in times of trouble.

Sorry, I know there are going to be give & take on both sides & the SPG side feels like it's going to get the shaft & there may be things that get dropped more on their end (although we won't know for a long while yet), but when it comes down to it it's still just a hotel program. It's not life & death.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Have you been drinking already?

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, but there shall be a new thread once the terms of the new combined program are announced. That could end up as the mother of all rant threads.
LOL

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
... but when it comes down to it it's still just a hotel program. It's not life & death.
Cheers.
With all due respect, you CLEARLY do not understand the passion, anger, and sadness of the SPG members.

For us, there is no LOL
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yeah it's not life and death, but hotels are where many of us here live the majority of our lives. The quality and value of these hotels, and by extension the programs, count for a lot.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:02 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Hooray! I'll be LTP in a programme that will cease to exist after 2017.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Looking forward to more options, combined LT nights and everything else Hopefully good. We'll see As long as Marriott LNF survives I am o.k.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:32 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by cfischer
Looking forward to more options, combined LT nights and everything else Hopefully good. We'll see As long as Marriott LNF survives I am o.k.
Marriott LNF > Starwoord BRG???
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now let the speculations really begin....
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:46 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by username
Now let the speculations really begin....
I think I've had enough of that. Whatever happens will see SPG aligned with the likes of Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. The race to the bottom continues, and 2016 will go down as the darkest year yet for frequent travellers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
I think I've had enough of that. Whatever happens will see SPG aligned with the likes of Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. The race to the bottom continues, and 2016 will go down as the darkest year yet for frequent travellers.
The lack of competition is never good for the consumers - just see what is happening with the airlines...

I do propose that we now close this thread and have different threads for different topics. For example:

1 - Conversion rate
2 - Elite Status and Benefit - Reciprocity / Integration
3 - Lifetime Status
4 - Partners
5 - Lounge standards

etc. etc. This thread is just too big to search.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:08 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by username
The lack of competition is never good for the consumers - just see what is happening with the airlines...

I do propose that we now close this thread and have different threads for different topics. For example:

1 - Conversion rate
2 - Elite Status and Benefit - Reciprocity / Integration
3 - Lifetime Status
4 - Partners
5 - Lounge standards

etc. etc. This thread is just too big to search.

Thoughts?
No one in their right mind would split this omnibus speculation thread into five other speculation threads. I'd rather see a just the facts thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.