Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BonnieO
Seth,

I'm getting my 5:1 based on point MR/SPG earns per dollar spend.

MR base is 10 points per dollar
SPG base is 2 points per dollar
That's at some hotels, and base only.

Status bonuses are different.

Credit card points are different. For random spend, they both earn 1 point/$.

That's why, overall, a rate of well under 5 is still fair.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
That's at some hotels, and base only.

Status bonuses are different.

Credit card points are different. For random spend, they both earn 1 point/$.

That's why, overall, a rate of well under 5 is still fair.
I just don't see a way for them to do this without p* off people. Even if they have all the past records and re-calculate everything based on MR rules (i.e. hotel stays are converted 1:5, credit card 1:1, etc.), it still will not be good and there are still loose ends to be figured out.

The scary thing is they might end up merging to a totally different system - and maybe even $ based on redemption.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Visconti
I certainly didn't mean it to appear disrespectful, but was merely addressing the point many proponents of the takeover seem to make; namely, the larger footprint. I'm only trying to point out, that to the individual dissenter, that any benefit is meaningless if it serves no purpose. I have no issues with small towns, but don't understand why many argue that a larger "footprint" in of its own makes it a "better" program. It certainly does to those who require it (again, for whatever reasons), but an unnecessary cost to those who do not. Some like the option of transferring points to airlines. However, others have plenty of airline points & don't care about the transfer. They're more concerned w/ what can they redeem hotel wise. Doesn't make either right or wrong. Just works for them individually.

If I required a larger domestic footprint, I would have chosen to focus on Marriott over SPG; but, I had to travel extensively in small backwater SE Asian cities for a prior corp career, hence my choice for SPG. I'm not decrying Marriott or their guests, but merely illustrating how this takeover offers virtually no benefit for me. I'm not concerned about the "whole" while deciding what's best for the individual.

While I can't speak for others, I feel and it's universally accepted that the SPG program is the best rewards program, all things being equal. The SPG rewards program is infinitely superior to Marriott's and the Amex SPG leaps and bounds better for general spend than Chase's Marriott. These observations are not hubris, but based on reality.

However, as to the hotel per se, then I'd agree that one really isn't necessarily better than the other. I've been to some Marriott properties that I've found better than *woods. Generally, any Ritz property is likely better than most of what *woods has to offer. Hotel preferences are subjective (unless based on travel needs, say, to small remote areas) and none of my points/observations are related to personal preferences.

Generally, the places where I travel, there is little difference between Hyatts, Marriotts, and Starwoods. I chose the latter only because of the best in class value of their rewards program and generous surplus Elites enjoyed subsidized by generally higher prices borne by the uninformed. I felt SPG passed more of this surplus to their members than either Hyatt or Marriott. Given I find them all somewhat similar, post merger, Hyatt will likely have a better reward proposition, if only I find the value of Marriotts/Hiltons rewards unappealing.

For top drawer service (the great hotels eschew rewards, since the notion of having to offer a rebate is counter to their philosophy) that stands on its own, I'd choose something like the Peninsula, Four Seasons, Mandarin Orientals or even Ritz Carltons.

When it comes to rewards programs, I just lump all Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts, *woods, IHG, etc...all in the same category, more or less. I'm just trying to find a balance of rebate on spend, locations that fit my needs, and acceptable room experience. For me, it's more of an objective exercise than subjective one, where I'd reserve for the above referenced "top drawer" type hotels.

For me, the SPG rewards program and ability to earn rewards on Amex's SPG was likely more important than the properties themselves. If Marriott/Hyatt had the SPG-type value (general rewards and elites benefits), I would have chosen them.
FWIW - I think you & I are basically on the same page, although coming from it from different angles. A # of our points match & we're in agreement that for the most part the programs & the properties are relatively the same.

And I didn't single you out as disrespectful. You've provided thoughtful input. Others, however, have been very derogatory as though people staying in tumberweed properties are less worthy folk. Heck, in the closed thread there were SPG FTers being incredibly derogatory to the point that they sounded like jerks & even SPG elites called them out. The irony is there's a thread on SPG right now re: SPG elites' behavior in lounges wrt food, etc LOL.

While you're happy that SPG has properties in backwoods China for example, others could care less because that's not where they stay on a regular basis. Others who do need a property in backwards wherever might find one w/ Marriott that SPG might not have one. Or even in some major states. For example where I live (Midwest state w/ some big industry) there are 10 SPG properties in the entire state (and all focused on one city, although there are other cities in the state 500K population & above w/ no SPG properties), but 56 Marriott properties & of those a lot are full-service w/ exec lounges. We all can do our own this is important to me. 50% of my time is spent overseas (although not in Asia) & Marriott properties outnumber SPG where I stay. In fairness, SPG outnumbers Hyatt where I stay. So again it's up to each individual in terms of property layout. However, there is something to be said for #s of property (and your Asia experience proves that).

One thing we do disagree on is that "it's universally accepted that SPG is superior". I would say SPG folk feel that way. Not necessarily Hyatt folk nor Marriott folk. Again that gets back to what is important to individuals. I will never make a claim on an airline or a hotel program that one is superior to another because it's based on individuals, what's important to them and/or not important.

Example (which I've stated before so no surprise). I could care less about 4pm check-out because I've never needed it. (I do get checkouts to 1-2pm if I request them). I do care about exec lounge access, however, & there are a heck of a LOT more Marriott brands w/ exec lounges than SPG has. It still boggles my mind that SPG elites discount that. They're going to gain access to a lot more exec lounges w/ Marriott than they've ever had w/ SPG (assuming they decide to stay at Marriotts), so perhaps Marriott elites should be complaining about the hordes of SPG elites that will now be crowding the Marriott brands lounges.

And unlike SPG (or Hilton for that matter), Marriott Golds do get access re: of whether they're upgraded to exec level. To me that's a big win over both of the other programs. However, for some SPG folk 4pms are important. That's fine. To each their own.

BTW - here's what I don't get. FTers (including one a few posts above who's a friend of mine) dissing SHS, etc. If they're not going to stay in one in the first place, then why do they care if they're added to the portfolio. It does, however, add options for others. And again in Asia, CYs do have exec lounges. Also, the other thing I don't get is people saying only FFIs in tumbleweed are being added to the mix. Looking at the entire UK there are only 12 SPG properties (basically in the London area). With Marriott there are 62 properties in the United Kingdom & of those 95% are full service. It's not a simple well only the FFIs are being added when you think of adding Marriott properties.

The other thing is (and again I think we're in agreement), if someone truly wants top shelf, excellent experiences they should just book Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Penisula, Aman, etc, and forget about loyalty programs.

However, IMO most on both SPG & Marriott forums will never do that - because they can't afford to or choose not to spend the $$. They depend on the loyalty programs to subsidize their holidays &/or upgrades (not pointing fingers; I do too). As the saying goes, if you really want it then pay for it. Most don't & rely on the loyalty programs to get them things they wouldn't/can't pay for themselves.

I am also in agreement w/ you that SPG's program that you can transfer to a gazillion partners is better than Chase. I'm not a total loyalist.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 9, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Example (which I've stated before so no surprise). I could care less about 4pm check-out because I've never needed it. (I do get checkouts to 1-2pm if I request them). I do care about exec lounge access, however, & there are a heck of a LOT more Marriott brands w/ exec lounges than SPG has. It still boggles my mind that SPG elites discount that. They're going to gain access to a lot more exec lounges w/ Marriott than they've ever had w/ SPG (assuming they decide to stay at Marriotts), so perhaps Marriott elites should be complaining about the hordes of SPG elites that will now be crowding the Marriott brands lounges.
Ok, so let's put aside the 4pm late checkout guarantee since you don't care about that but obviously some of us appreciate not having to be at the whims of hotel staff and beg for 1pm checkouts.

Now these so called "heck of a LOT of Marriott lounges" you mention do sound interesting. How many of these are open on weekends?

I for one do appreciate SPG's brand standard guarantees. Like all NA Sheraton lounges being open 7 days a week... How does Marriott compare in NA?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I for one do appreciate SPG's brand standard guarantees. Like all NA Sheraton lounges being open 7 days a week... How does Marriott compare in NA?
How many Sheratons are there in NA? How many Marriotts in NA with lounges open on the weekend? Care to estimate which is the bigger number? Lounges aren't brand standard at Westin.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How many Sheratons are there in NA? How many Marriotts in NA with lounges open on the weekend? Care to estimate which is the bigger number? Lounges aren't brand standard at Westin.
No idea of absolute numbers. I do know that the brand standard applies to 100% of Sheratons though. My limited experience of Marriotts and Renaissance properties has been very different though.

My most common work travel city is Chicago. The Sheraton and both the downtown Westins in Chicago have lounges, and all of them are open 7 days a week.

Conversely, I have stayed at the Marriott Michigan Avenue and the Renaissance downtown in Chicago. Both hotels had closed lounges at weekends.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:32 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I guess the point is that if you know there is a lounge, you may want to also know it will be open. I don't need all the hotels, just the ones I want to stay at.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I for one do appreciate SPG's brand standard guarantees. Like all NA Sheraton lounges being open 7 days a week...
A "brand standard" which is not enforced.

I do know that the brand standard applies to 100% of Sheratons though.
Except for the ones where it doesn't, and there are quite a few. Starwood has always been pretty free granting exemptions to supposed brand standards.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And unlike SPG (or Hilton for that matter), Marriott Golds do get access re: of whether they're upgraded to exec level.
Of course, Marriott Gold requires 50 nights and SPG Platinum requires 50 nights (or xx stays). So, in my mind:

SPG Platinum = MR Gold (and MR Gold is harder to achieve than SPG Platinum for those who achieve based on stays)

SPG Platinum 75 = MR Platinum
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Where did you get the idea that SPG LT requires consecutive years?
I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure the program, at one point, required consecutive years for LT Platinum. My coworkers used to jump through all kinds of hoops to ensure they maintained platinum status year after year simply for that reason.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure the program, at one point, required consecutive years for LT Platinum. My coworkers used to jump through all kinds of hoops to ensure they maintained platinum status year after year simply for that reason.
LTP charter member here (now 15 years, 1600+ nights). Since the program was started in 2012 consecutive years have never been required. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just setting the record straight.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by dewdreamdawn
Increase from 50 to 75 nights for highest tier could be reasonable, but 100 nights for highest tier (except a secret one) seem too high and unreachable for most of current SPG Plat members. Should be kept in the same name but with additional perks, like current Plat50/Plat75/Plat100. What about stays though? No Plat by qualifying stays anymore?
Not sure why the objection to the 100 night highest tier? That's already what SPG has with Platinum 100. In my mind, it's pretty much just a name change and a slight tweak of benefits to get rid of the Marriott RC/Resort breakfast penalty (in other words, at that level, if you're staying at a property, where breakfast is available, you should get it without question, even if it's a BVLGARI)
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by username
SPG Platinum = MR Gold (and MR Gold is harder to achieve than SPG Platinum for those who achieve based on stays)
Harder for those, but anyone who has Gold or higher with UA gets Marriott Gold for free.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by SFBayGuy
LTP charter member here (now 15 years, 1600+ nights). Since the program was started in 2012 consecutive years have never been required. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just setting the record straight.
Fair enough, I'm newer to SPG than I am to MR. I tend to go by what my SPG-kowledgable co-workers tell me. My intent was always to go for SPG LTP after hitting Lifetime Platinum with Marriott since I actually do like both chains and both programs.

One small question - and not trying to be nitpicky - if the program was started in 2012 and requires 10 years of Platinum status to obtain Lifetime Platinum, there wouldn't be any lifetime platinums yet, right? I think you might have meant 2002? (That would be closer to your 15 year membership?)
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Fair enough, I'm newer to SPG than I am to MR. I tend to go by what my SPG-kowledgable co-workers tell me. My intent was always to go for SPG LTP after hitting Lifetime Platinum with Marriott since I actually do like both chains and both programs.

One small question - and not trying to be nitpicky - if the program was started in 2012 and requires 10 years of Platinum status to obtain Lifetime Platinum, there wouldn't be any lifetime platinums yet, right? I think you might have meant 2002? (That would be closer to your 15 year membership?)
The LT program started in 2012 but counted years all the way back to 2000. Might have even been 1999.

In 2014 they gave me a 12" X 24" "painting" (printed on canvas) which showed: when I joined SPG (10/8/99); my first year Plat (2000); when I became LTP (1/10/12); when I became Ambassador (2/22/12) and when I reached my 1500th night (9/17/14). It's on the wall in my home office. I'd post a pic but you can't upload one and I'm not putting it out on the cloud to link to.

Last edited by SFBayGuy; Apr 9, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.