Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern California hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:13 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Going to a wedding in Northern california. The wedding is going to be held at one of the wineries in Sunol, CA

Which property would one recommend based on these parameters? I am looking at W Newark, Sheraton San Jose and Sheraton Sunnyvale along with Westin Santa Clara. Sheraton San Jose shows a great rate of $60...and it happens to be the closest to Sunol (seems like), all the other properties are between 25 and 30 minutes to Sunol according to Mapquest, with Sheraton San Jose being 28 minutes away).
Thanks for your recommendations

Edited to mention we are flying into SJC

[This message has been edited by asnovici (edited Feb 03, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
asnovici: We have always been happy with the value we find at the SJ Sheraton. Our experience has been good customer service, good upgrades even as gold, strong commitment to Sheraton promise, free pc with internet access, low rates, etc.

The Sheraton Sunnyvale has nicer grounds (and also has a free pc for guests), but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

The W is a very nice comfortable hotel. It is a bit brighter than most other W's, but suffers from it's remote location (don't expect nightlife). It's staff does seem to try hard, but are not always well informed or equipped to give good customer service (e.g. in the past I've gotten markedly different answers to questions like "Is the pool open?" and "Is it heated?" in the same day. Another example is being told by the desk at 8 that the restaurant was open until 10, but then finding out that they were closed due to low occupancy . . . keep in mind that the front desk has a prime view of the restaurant).

I've never stayed at the Westin SC, so someone else would have to comment.

Oh one more thing . . . I recall that the Sheraton SJ was undegoing a change in ownership/management when I was there a month ago so things are probably more subject to change there than usual.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:49 am

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
My choices in order of pref:

- W Newark (agree with VPescado except Ive always received very good customer help - stay there alot and I love it there)
- Sheraton Sunnyvale (great staff but basic hotel, good weekend rates, and I love the free PC and really love the restaurant)
- Sheraton/Westin Palo Alto (nice upgrades and hotel, but pretty pricey)
- Sheraton San Jose (havent stayed in a year, but pretty basic Sheraton, but decent club, etc when I was there even tho it was unspectacular hotel)
- Westin Santa Clara (stayed a few times, and not happy with this hotel/service - I dont stay there anymore - blech!)

[This message has been edited by AA_SPG_Fan (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">- Sheraton Sunnyvale (great staff but basic hotel, good weekend rates, and I love the free PC and really love the restaurant)</font>
I stayed at the Sheraton Sunnyvale last night on a mattress run (I'm using the "double double" promo to reinstate my Gold status for the next two years). Got a $59 (+ 8.5% tax) AAA weekend rate that was fully cancellable by 6 PM day of arrival (same deal is available at this hotel for age 60+ or AARP).

I got a "Starwood Preferred Guest" room in Building 500; it seemed newly refurbished and was very clean. I was pleased with my stay overall, and enjoyed the restaurant, but I have a couple of negatives to report:

1. There is a $1.00 flat fee for unlimited local and toll-free calls. This doesn't sound too bad, until you realize that this fee is charged EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE THE PHONE AT ALL!!! Might as well make some local or toll-free calls, you'll be charged the $1.00 in any case! I didn't bother to dispute this.

2. Even worse, however, the "free PC" IS NO LONGER FREE! The in-room binder still states: "Just off the lobby is our Business Center available to you at no charge. The center is equipped with a computer with Internet access, fax, copier and printer."

Contrary to this statement, you now have to slide a credit card to make use of these services. The fees are 50 cents per minute for internet use ($3.00 minimum); 50 cents per page for black-and-white printing; 25 cents per page for photocopying ($1.00 minimum). (Don't recall what it costs to send a fax.)

I complained to the front desk clerk about the fees (and the fact that the binder states the services are free). She conferred with the manager and offered me either a discount on my (restaurant) bill or some Starpoints. I opted for the Starpoints. (I hope they post!)

Anyhow, I figured this heads-up would be useful to others considering this hotel.

Kathy
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jes999:
4Ps Pleasanton is a dump. I would definitely not stay there</font>
The Four Points Pleasanton is most definitely NOT a dump! I'm staying there right now on another mattress run ($49/night + 8% tax, nonrefundable weekend rate).

Room is newly decorated. Free high-speed internet is working great. A branch of Faz Restaurant is in this hotel (like the Sheraton Sunnyvale).

Kathy

Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:41 pm

For Sunol, hotels in Pleasanton or San Ramon will be the most convenient. (Followed by San Jose, I guess, since you can pick up 680, but depending on the time and day, I would avoid that commute if it's during business hours).

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:11 pm

Bottom Line is that the hotel is in the SERVICE business. I hope hulagirl spoke to Starwood corporate about this and got some sort of remedy. I doubt she would have gotten that treatment at a non-franchise property.

Next time something like that happens just don't do what they order you to. Their employee is paid to do work and they can clean it up.

I'm surprised the Lurker didn't make a comment about this unless it was too sensitive an issue to get involved in.

Starwood wouldn't be here if we didn't stay there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.