Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How can I keep my points from expiring?

See the wiki and related discussion at How to keep SPG points from expiring after one year
Print Wikipost

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by honu
If I had my account set to directly transfer points to an airline (US for their recent promo), the points for a stay or a restaurant visit enter the account, then leave again to post to the airline. Is that a qualified activity to put off account expiration for another year?
Qualified activities are points for a stay and points from the SPG Amex card.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Qualified activities are points for a stay and points from the SPG Amex card.
... and, unless I misread the previous posts, points earned by using an eligible restaurant in a Starwood property, even without a stay.

But what I'm asking is: if my account is set up for direct transfer, will the points that pass through it for a restaurant charge (on their way to my FFP of choice) count to keep the remaining points (from previous stays) active? OR do they not count if my account is set up for direct deposit to an airline FFP?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:24 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by honu
... and, unless I misread the previous posts, points earned by using an eligible restaurant in a Starwood property, even without a stay.

But what I'm asking is: if my account is set up for direct transfer, will the points that pass through it for a restaurant charge (on their way to my FFP of choice) count to keep the remaining points (from previous stays) active? OR do they not count if my account is set up for direct deposit to an airline FFP?
This would reset your expiration date because the "stay" transaction posts to your SPG account first and is then direct-deposited to your airline frequent flyer program of choice.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

So if I am platinum and my last stay was Oct 2009 - do I have 36 months from Oct 09 before my account goes inactive if I have no qualifying stays, etc....

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You would get soft-landed to Gold, then to Preferred, then it would expire following 12 more months of inactivity.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kobi
So if I am platinum and my last stay was Oct 2009 - do I have 36 months from Oct 09 before my account goes inactive if I have no qualifying stays, etc....
I am no mathematician, but that does seem to be the case.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:34 pm

Preventing StarPoints expiration

I just got an email saying my points are going to expire soon. I don't have any plans to stay at a Starwood property in the near future and I no longer have my Starwood Amex. But I have over 50k points and I don't want to lose them. I plan to eventually use them for a hotel stay somewhere next year.

How can I determine the exact date that my points will expire?

What are my options for maintaining my "active" status and preventing the points from expiring?

Thanks

EDIT: OK, I couldn't find an expiration date, but when I looked at my recent activity, the last transaction was earning 10 points from my Amex spending on 1/20/2009. Does that mean I have until 1/20/2010 before my points expire?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Pick up the phone and call SPG.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
go to a *wood hotel for dinner. Not sure if you have to have a stay or not but that would be activity that should forstall any losses. A luker could probably help you with this.

OF course you could just gift them to me
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, LH SEN
Originally Posted by mill4023
I plan to eventually use them for a hotel stay somewhere next year.
You can book your hotel stay somewhere next year, until you decide when and where you want to go. If for some reason you decide to cancel, you will get your points back to your account with a new expiration clock.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Call SPG to be sure. I was doing my annual points expiration check and I have a note next to SPG that only points-earning stays and Amex activity keep an account active. Redemption, dinner/ancillary points, purchases, gifts, affiliates, etc. don't count. I can't find the specific reference on the SPG site, but I do have it noted, as I typically buy an iTune or affiliate an Avis rental with other programs to keep them active.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
Call SPG to be sure. I was doing my annual points expiration check and I have a note next to SPG that only points-earning stays and Amex activity keep an account active. Redemption, dinner/ancillary points, purchases, gifts, affiliates, etc. don't count. I can't find the specific reference on the SPG site, but I do have it noted, as I typically buy an iTune or affiliate an Avis rental with other programs to keep them active.
Essentially, three ways to keep an account active and not have points expire: 1) have an eligible stay (dinner by itself does not count); 2) have earned points from the SPG Amex card; and 3) own a Starwood Vacation Ownership with the account in good standing.

From the SPG T&C: 3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:06 pm

...(dinner by itself does not count)...
Sure it does. Provided 1) you are an SPG member and you ask to earn Starpoints; 2) the dining establishment at the hotel would allow you to charge to a room account, if you were a guest of the hotel; and 3) the meal is $10 or more before taxes.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sure it does. Provided 1) you are an SPG member and you ask to earn Starpoints; 2) the dining establishment at the hotel would allow you to charge to a room account, if you were a guest of the hotel; and 3) the meal is $10 or more before taxes.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Then why doesn't the T&C state this? I cut and pasted the T&C and you can see it is very clear (or at least I thought) what keeps an account current.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:34 pm

Then why doesn't the T&C state this? I cut and pasted the T&C and you can see it is very clear (or at least I thought) what keeps an account current.
Because they want you to have an eligible stay rather than just an eligible transaction? After all, it is a frequent stay program and one stay a year really does not sound like a terrible inconvenience.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.