Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How can I keep my points from expiring?

See the wiki and related discussion at How to keep SPG points from expiring after one year
Print Wikipost

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:58 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Does a purchase of SPG points keep a member's account active?
No, unless it is done with the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Then, the fact that you are an SPG Amex cardholder that used the card once a year kicks in.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:40 pm

Points expiry - what to do to stay alive

My last stay was 7 Jan 2010! I have expired yesterday!

What can I do? I am travelling and there's no longer a Sheraton in the city I am in. Anyway for me to do a transaction online to keep me alive?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

I just spoke with an SPG rep.

She said that points do not expire for 18 months.

She also stated that ANY account activity (even a 1 point transfer) extends the expiration date another 18 months.

I certainly don't expect anyone with concerns to simply take my word for it, but a quick call to customer service should allay any anxieties.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davidhii
My last stay was 7 Jan 2010! I have expired yesterday!

What can I do? I am travelling and there's no longer a Sheraton in the city I am in. Anyway for me to do a transaction online to keep me alive?
Have you considered using all your points that you can to make award hotel bookings that have a good cancellation policy and park your points that way until you get time to get some kind of transactional activity that ill keep the points from expiring?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by ANUBIS57
I just spoke with an SPG rep.

She said that points do not expire for 18 months.

She also stated that ANY account activity (even a 1 point transfer) extends the expiration date another 18 months.

I certainly don't expect anyone with concerns to simply take my word for it, but a quick call to customer service should allay any anxieties.

Cheers.
I believe you were told incorrect information as indicated in the terms & conditions listed below.

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.

3.3. If you do not remain an Active Member, we will close your Membership account and all Starpoints in the account shall be forfeited without notice.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you considered using all your points that you can to make award hotel bookings that have a good cancellation policy and park your points that way until you get time to get some kind of transactional activity that ill keep the points from expiring?
Yup, did that. Left a few hundred points in the account while the others are used for 2011 bookings. My problem is that according to Starwood policy the account will be deleted. Which means (possibly) my bookings will be cancelled.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
I believe you were told incorrect information as indicated in the terms & conditions listed below.

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.

3.3. If you do not remain an Active Member, we will close your Membership account and all Starpoints in the account shall be forfeited without notice.
I emailed Starwood and got this too:
Dear Mr. Hii,

Thank you for your email.

You may wish to know that Starpoints do not expire for active members. As long as you keep your account active, your Starpoints will never expire. For Preferred Guests to keep an account active requires one stay within a rolling 12-months. In the event you do not remain an active member (as defined above) your membership account will be closed and all Starpoints forfeited.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Best Regards,

So I guess the 12 months policy stands. So far as of today, my Starwood account over the Internet still works.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
I emailed Starwood and got this too:
Dear Mr. Hii,

Thank you for your email.

You may wish to know that Starpoints do not expire for active members. As long as you keep your account active, your Starpoints will never expire. For Preferred Guests to keep an account active requires one stay within a rolling 12-months. In the event you do not remain an active member (as defined above) your membership account will be closed and all Starpoints forfeited.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Best Regards,

So I guess the 12 months policy stands. So far as of today, my Starwood account over the Internet still works.
I take it you don't have an Amex with SPG.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:24 pm

I take it you don't have an Amex with SPG.
Yup, can't qualify without a US address. Seems like the best way is to make a points purchase before its too late.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, can't qualify without a US address. Seems like the best way is to make a points purchase before its too late.
A points purchase is not qualifying activity.

Go spend $10 or more at a Starwood hotel's food & beverage establishments.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
A points purchase is not qualifying activity.

Go spend $10 or more at a Starwood hotel's food & beverage establishments.
But my worry is that by the time I get back to civilisation (a city with Starwood hotels), its already next week! I would have busted my 12 months cycle for quite a few weeks. Should I even bother to try?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kobi
can spg points ever expire?
will expire in 1 years if there's no activity, but easy to recover your starpoint.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:38 pm

I called back today after reading your post.

Here's what I got: Membership expires after 18 month of inactivity.

I asked again to be absolutely clear...Yes I was told 18 months.

Any activity on your account extends membership another 18 months.

Again I repeated the question and was told "definitely 18months.

I also asked if buying points qualifies...answer was yes.

I asked if dining in a Starwood Hotel restaurant counts...again. Yes ($10 minimum)

I have no idea why we are getting conflicting information.

I am going to email the question myself, and if I get conflicting info I will immediately call customer service and report the inconsistency.

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

O.K. 3rd call's the charm, apparently.

This rep explained that the membership account will indeed expire after 12 months of inactivity.

However:

Your points do not expire for 18 months.

She said even if your membership expires, your points can be recovered for six month afterward.

Finally, she said that any purchase over $10 at any Starwood property (restaurants included) counts as an activity.

My previous post failed to differentiate between "membershp account" and "points balance"

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Last edited by ANUBIS57; Jan 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by hw807
will expire in 1 years if there's no activity, but easy to recover your starpoint.

Thanks...I now understand your post.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ANUBIS57
I called back today after reading your post.

Here's what I got: Membership expires after 18 month of inactivity.

I asked again to be absolutely clear...Yes I was told 18 months.

Any activity on your account extends membership another 18 months.

Again I repeated the question and was told "definitely 18months.

I also asked if buying points qualifies...answer was yes.

I asked if dining in a Starwood Hotel restaurant counts...again. Yes ($10 minimum)

I have no idea why we are getting conflicting information.

I am going to email the question myself, and if I get conflicting info I will immediately call customer service and report the inconsistency.

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

O.K. 3rd call's the charm, apparently.

This rep explained that the membership account will indeed expire after 12 months of inactivity.

However:

Your points do not expire for 18 months.

She said even if your membership expires, your points can be recovered for six month afterward.

Finally, she said that any purchase over $10 at any Starwood property (restaurants included) counts as an activity.

My previous post failed to differentiate between "membershp account" and "points balance"

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Thanks mate, you are doing a great favour to people in this forum. Somehow, it seems like the Starwood rules are not straitly enforced. Anyway, lets wait for the outcome of your investigation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.