Wiki Posts
Search

Timeshare Presentation Offers and Reviews

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:13 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Timeshare Presentation Offers and Reviews

Please list here your timeshare offers and, if you have gone to the resort/presentation, you views thereof.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoSoxFan45:
Please list here your timeshare offers and, if you have gone to the resort/presentation, you views thereof.</font>
My wife and I went to the one in Maui about a month ago. Very unprofessional and high pressure presentation compared to Marriott. Received 7,500 points for the time spent.

If you are interested in a timeshare please look at the "timeshare" board. Many conflicting opinions on the worth of a timeshare. If you are really interested in a timeshare, look at the resale market and compare that price to the price SPG is asking.

Needless to say, my wife and I did not buy a timeshare - nor will we.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Just went to one this past weekend at the Westin Kierland. Not too bad in terms of sales pressure and it helped that I was familiar with the SPG program. Bonus for attending was 10,000 starpoints! Not bad for less than 90 minutes of my time.
Although it was tempting with 80,000 starpoints being offered as a first visit incentive. I decided that I best not drop 26,000 without discussing with my S.O. (man I'm just getting out of the hot water for buying a new exilim z3 without discussing it first!).
In short, a 2 bedroom deluxe at the Kierland resort and spa would cost about $27,000 not including tax. Then add on $847 annual fee. You can convert to 72,000 starpoint every other year and they points are good for 6 years.
Shortly after I left the presentation, I started to feel lousy and wound up in a local ER all night with food poisoning after passing out in my hotel room with a temp of 104.5 (no joke). At first I thought it was a sign that I should not have passed up on the 80,000 FVI starpoints .... then i thought it was a sign that I shouldn't even consider buying a timeshare .... then I entertained the thought it was a brown spider bite from leaving my balcony door open the night before... then I realized it was just my dumb luck . Thank God I got to spend the whole next day in a Westin Heavenly bed while the temp climbed to a record 116!
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:42 am

Interesting offer from Kierland resort.

I got the same thing my details are:

5 days 4 nights for $298
8000 Starwood points for listening to the pitch

I'm thinking of jetting down there and just having a vacation.

The regular price off of the website was in the thousands!
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
where's the Kierland?
Old Sep 8, 2003, 7:18 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by corbetti:
where's the Kierland?</font>
Scottsdale, AZ.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Sep 8, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Attended the presentation in Mauii for 15000 points and bought a timeshare with 600000 additional points as an incentive (plus others perks). I really think that it's a no brainer in my case as I spend so much money on vacations or week-end gateways anyway... I own a piece of paradise !!!
Old Sep 8, 2003, 7:45 pm

Couscous,

"Attended the presentation in Mauii for 15000 points and bought a timeshare with 600000 additional points as an incentive (plus others perks). I really think that it's a no brainer in my case as I spend so much money on vacations or week-end gateways anyway... I own a piece of paradise !!!"

Please don't tell me you meant 60k additional points...you will break my heart!
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:04 pm

Hey William,

I am about 99% sure that I will book the 5 days and 4 nights at the Kierland resort.

The upside is, I can get a great vacation for a heck of a deal..

What are the downsides? I love Starwood (and all of the properties).

The resort is brand new. How wrong can I go?

D-
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I've heard that the Westin Maui is aggressive about getting hotel guests to come see their little show. I've read that they offer 10K points for PLATs to attend (now I see couscous got 15K).

I'll be staying there next month. Is there anything I can do to optimize my being offered points to listen to the pitch? And optimize the number of points offered?
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:32 pm

VPescado, I picked up my invitation at the desk in the lobby of the Westin. (Left of the Check in counter).
Typo on my previous post ; I received 60000 starpoints for buying not 600000 (Now if Willian can intervene, I'll gladly accept that many, thanks in advance...)
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:32 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
It's pretty hard to miss the Westin Maui timeshare promo. If you got a pulse (and a significant other with you and certain income quals), you get points. As to maximizing points, it's like voluntary airline bumping: make your deal before the show starts. They may offer 7.5K. You can counter, citing your Plat. status, that you heard other Plats. got more (we got 10K in '01) and when you have a deal, go for it. As others have said, it's higher pressure than befits *wood IMHO.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Goldfishhh:
Hey William,

I am about 99% sure that I will book the 5 days and 4 nights at the Kierland resort.

The upside is, I can get a great vacation for a heck of a deal..

What are the downsides? I love Starwood (and all of the properties).

The resort is brand new. How wrong can I go?

D-
</font>
Westin Mauii is offering a similar deal. I stayed at the Westin Kierland over Labor day weekend and loved it. Got a great upgrade to a beautiful suite as a Platinum. Try the Ocean club restaurant across the street. Great place to have a drink and a great meal.

Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Attended Westin Maui presentation last summer. Only got 7500 points. Very high pressure. Can't remember the incentive to buy.

Attended Westin Mission Hills Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Got 7500 points for attending. Incentive to buy was 125,000 additional points. Much more professional and low keyed with no pressure.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
How can I get the $298, five day four night deal at the Kierland? Is this a targeted deal or can anybody get this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.