Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How come my Starwood AMEX card doesn't work with Charter One gift card purchases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How come my Starwood AMEX card doesn't work with Charter One gift card purchases?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Has anyone tried this? I tried to buy Charter One gift cards to get lots of Starwood points -- there was an article in the WSJ about this and undoubtedly a ton of talk on this website. Buy the cards, get the miles, trade the cards for cash and deposit it in your bank account, etc.

Anyway, I have never been able to get it to work for my Starwood Amex. It always just declines the card on the website (or if I call Charter One). Very weird. Anyone else try this?
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
cause its not legit and amex knows it
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:32 pm

masonuc - Be glad the charge didn't go through. AMEX has started posting Charter One gift card purchases as cash advances (i.e. extra fees, higher interest rate and NO starpoints).

RightD
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:55 am

How does one go about buying charter one gift cards? do you do it online or via phone? Also is there a fee? I dont think my debit card allows cash advances so I am willing to take a risk.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by maizeandblue
How does one go about buying charter one gift cards? do you do it online or via phone? Also is there a fee? I dont think my debit card allows cash advances so I am willing to take a risk.
I think you missed the boat by about 3 years... I remember the good old days of doing this. Racked up several hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit card rewards until too many people got wind of it (due to fatwallet and flyertalk) and they closed the loopholes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.