Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

DOWNLOADABLE FAQ/PDF initiative 4 all starwood hotels - possible ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond

Lurker,

Was about to post this in the thread re: kids staying in European properties, or not.

But, thought I would create a separate thread since the issue is larger than "how many kids can stay in "x" or "y" European hotel" and addresses the relative difficulty of finding out property and locale-specific information about a hotel property, whether international or even domestic.

I keep wondering if Starwood (or Hilton or Marriott or Hyatt) has ever considered an initiative to create downloadable pdfs with mega-information in a STANDARDIZED FORMAT for each of their properties ?

Essentially creating a 24x7 "FAQ"ish resource on every starwood property, available online, which might be one heck of a manpower/resource reducer ?

If I wanted to read up on Starwood's Bora-Bora property at 2AM, I could download the starwood-designed, starwood-mandated, property-maintained pdf and not have to call a soul. What convenience and what a timesaver for all. Would not even have to call the Bora Bora concierge to ask the same questions he hears daily. A pro-active INFO DUMP by those who hear them over and over. Maybe even a section for the top 20 questions property "x" or "y" concierge thinks any travler to that hotel needs to know or items needed for that locale.

Perfect forum, for example to check to see how many children could stay in a [given] European property. Or if the property is on or near a subway terminal.

IMO, the more problems starwood can pre-empt in global and domestic travel via their web site, the easier it is to, well, travel hassle-free. This is why a downloadable pdf for as many specific policies about any given property would be an industry-leading initiative. Other issues could be addressed such as: pool (HEATED or not, indoor or outdoor), high-speed internet (yes, no, and/or free, if not at what cost), local and long distance telehone policy, shuttle from airport (yes, no), distance to nearest 24x7 diner or 24x7 pharmacy, and the list is endless.

Yes, one can get these answers by calling every prospective property and playing 20 questions with front desk and concierge personnel, but at what incredible cost in time (not just ours, but also starwood's) to rsearch and complete a booking ? And every hotel staff out there probably has a standing joke about the "top 20 questions" they answer every single day. For that matter, if starwood would do a time/motion/resources study, they would surely see the benefit of LOADING up the web site and/or downloadable pdf approach to PRE-EMPT phone calls from coming in and bugging and distracting front desk personnel.

Simple point is the more info you can stuff on the web site, the less hassle it is for us, and should, over time, reduce starwood's manpower costs.

Anyway - maybe Justin can take this project on and, once completed and online, Justin might make his next promotion on the strength of such an initiative.

I know of no other hotel chain doing this. I would sure be impressed if starwood took such a lead.

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:39 am

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
It would be a nice use of technology - could use Adobe Document Server to create automated FAQs, hotel info and have to download on the fly. I like it -- good idea.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:54 am

All Starwood has to do is take the text copy of their property guide, write a postscript file and create a pdf from it. It shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes to do. Then simply post it on the web site for download. I do this every year with our catalog.
John
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I thought I agreed to pass this on to the powers that be last week.

I did, by the way.

However, I do not know if it will ever become a reality. That decision is not mine.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Lurker, please keep us posted as to any decisions from "the powers that be"

Remember a pdf would be great for being stored on your laptop and you are away from internet access, also Palm and other handhelds now read pdf's so I know these documents would get a lot of use from us hardcore travelers.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.