Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton on the Park, SYD - Charges Charges everywhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton on the Park, SYD - Charges Charges everywhere

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Angry Sheraton on the Park, SYD - Charges Charges everywhere

Well I have checked in with a friend at the Sheraton On The Park Sydney and after being offered an upgrade to a suite (Platinum Preferred) I asked for a rollaway, and was told that would be AU$45 per night.
The room was booked as two beds and so now upgrades cost us money.

My room mate then went to use the Gym and was told that he was not the Platinum Member, we would be charged AU$10 for each time he visited.

I wonder what other charges I will discover - I'll keep you posted.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
Well I have checked in with a friend at the Sheraton On The Park Sydney and after being offered an upgrade to a suite (Platinum Preferred) I asked for a rollaway, and was told that would be AU$45 per night.
The room was booked as two beds and so now upgrades cost us money.

My room mate then went to use the Gym and was told that he was not the Platinum Member, we would be charged AU$10 for each time he visited.

I wonder what other charges I will discover - I'll keep you posted.
Markie, what am I missing here? You were upgraded to a suite and you accepted the upgrade. Are you saying that the suite didn't have two beds? If you accepted the upgrade and then wanted a rollaway on top of that, I think that the hotel is right. There is no platinum benefit for free rollaways that I know of.

As regards the gym, I don't necessarily know how I feel about that one. I've never had that issue because #1 my partner doesn't generally hit the gym when travelling with me and #2, I've never had anyone ask for anything more than my room key and name.

I hope that you don't let this ruin your trip.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Gym Charges...

I've never run into this issue with Starwood, but at Hilton and Hyatt properties where there are usually a charge for gym/fitness/health spa facilities, Diamond status in Hilton and Hyatt usually got the charges waived for ALL occupants of the room booked in the Diamond member's name. If I had still been a Starwood Plat I would expect the charge to be waived for whoever is staying with me in my room, as well.

I don't think the OP's expectation is out of line with regards to having that $10 waived for his partner, as well.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by bigjim
Markie, what am I missing here? You were upgraded to a suite and you accepted the upgrade. Are you saying that the suite didn't have two beds? If you accepted the upgrade and then wanted a rollaway on top of that, I think that the hotel is right. There is no platinum benefit for free rollaways that I know of.

I hope that you don't let this ruin your trip.
What seems strange to me was, here is your Platinum upgrade Mr. Markie but it will cost you $40. Surely it should be 'here is your upgrade Mr. Markie, full stop'.

As a Hyatt Diamond I have never been asked to pay for a rollaway. Can you imagine Mr & Mrs Smith, who don't sleep together, being asked to pay for a second bed in their upgraded suite? I think not.

I am waiting for the rest of the stay to be as promblematic as this - we're here until the 19th - and will then refer all this to Customer Services in the US as I cannot imagine that this treatment is in the spirit of Starwood rewarding me for my loyalty.

Coupled with the problems that I had not getting any free nights as I was registered for two promos has made Starwood less attractive than ever for 2005 .
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jkc22
I've never run into this issue with Starwood, but at Hilton and Hyatt properties where there are usually a charge for gym/fitness/health spa facilities, Diamond status in Hilton and Hyatt usually got the charges waived for ALL occupants of the room booked in the Diamond member's name. If I had still been a Starwood Plat I would expect the charge to be waived for whoever is staying with me in my room, as well.

I don't think the OP's expectation is out of line with regards to having that $10 waived for his partner, as well.
I agree that the fee should probably be waived - even though I don't think that it is guaranteed by the Terms and Conditions of SPG.

My area of disagreement with the OP is that they accepted an upgrade that had a bedding arrangement different than what they wanted. If they wanted separate beds or didn't want to pay for a rollaway, they should have kept their original room, if an upgraded room with the sleeping arrangements that they wanted wasn't available.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigjim
My area of disagreement with the OP is that they accepted an upgrade that had a bedding arrangement different than what they wanted. If they wanted separate beds or didn't want to pay for a rollaway, they should have kept their original room, if an upgraded room with the sleeping arrangements that they wanted wasn't available.
I agree with bigjim.

Unless they were not able to honour your original booking for a room with 2 seperate beds and had to put you in a suite with a single bed, then there is no legal or moral reason not to charge you for the extra bed.

It would be a nice gesture though if they were able to waive that charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.