Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:45 pm

St Regis or Westin Excelsior in Rome?

My wife and I wil be traveling to Rome to celebrate our anniversary in a few months. Due to award opportunities, we have the choice of staying in either the St. Regis Grand or the Westin Excelsior. The room type provided would be a Superior at St. Regis or a Deluxe at Excelsior. We have never stayed in either hotel.

Our two prime considerations regarding this choice are:

1. Quiet Room...in other words, facing an inner courtyard not the street. Both of us are light sleepers. A streetside room would mean no sleep at all.
2. AC that keeps the room cold, not warm.

Since the Excelsior is a much larger property with over twice as many rooms, my gut tells me that it will be easier to secure a courtyard room there than at the St. Regis. However, I can tell from past posts that the large majority of FlyerTalk guests prefer the St. Regis. As do most past guests posting comments online.

Please share your thoughts about the quiet room and the AC choice. We both would appreciate as much input as possible since we would love this to be a wonderful anniversary.

By the way, we must make our decision prior to Sunday afternoon, March 8.

Thanks much.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:25 am
BLV

You won't have a problem with St Regis granting your request for a courtyard room. Stayed there for 7 nights over NYE. VERY quiet rooms overlooking the courtyard. Service has been impeccable throughout 3 of our stays in the past 5 years. The only advantage to Excelsior is location (right on Via Veneto). But if you really get down to it, St Regis is only a 5 minute walk from there.

Also, they're very good with upgrades.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
St. Regis would be my first choice. The rooms are much more luxurious and the rooms are all very quiet, even those with views of the busy but beautiful Piazza della Republica.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:55 am

My vote is for the Excelsior. My husband and I were just there in February and it was lovely. The location is great - we had a balconey overlooking the Via Veneto, but I wouldn't think there would be a problem getting an interior room. Also, we like our room chilled too and there was no problem with that at the Excelsior. Look online at the Starwood site for specail deals. We had an upgraded room and breakfast was included.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Air Canada, United, Continental, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood
Rome - Westin or St. Regis?

I am heading to Rome for the first time at the end of April and booked at the Westin, but just through very quick, brief read on Frommers online, sounds like the St. Regis might be a better choice? However, looks like the Westin just did a large reno. Anyone know? or does it matter? Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 31, 2009 at 11:36 am Reason: Merged into master thread
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:56 am

My parents recently stayed at the Westin for a couple days then switched to the Intercontinental De La Ville. They much preferred the location of the Intercontinental which was right at the Spanish steps, next door to the Hassler Hotel. I guess better for sight seeing. The rate was also much cheaper, $160 / nt on PL. The room was pretty small, but they're use to American hotels with huge rooms. They said they were out and about all the time so it didn't matter.

Last edited by Tummy; Mar 31, 2009 at 8:04 am
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:20 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by champagnekisses
For some reason, anytime I do searches on Flyertalk, I get random results. Any pointers? Thanks again.
That's a question for cheapelite!

BTW, I think there is little to choose between both those hotels in Rome. I would go for the St Regis on location alone, or, if you have children with you, the Westin as the upgrades are quite forthcoming.

Have a lovely trip!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:23 am

Still can't decide...

I am heading to Rome for the first time at the end of April for one week. I am Platinum and am using my points. The Westin and the St. Regis are both Category 6 now and the same number of points. I did not look at the Eden, but looks like some people prefer that? I have read through the thread backwards based on more recent posts, but still can't really figure out where I should book.

-I usually like taking in a city's metro to explore a city - does being close to the metro in Rome really matter? I heard it was a "walking" city.
-I also like to use the gym, is one better than the other?
-I like being immersed in the local culture, so is the Westin location better? I'd like to be able to walk and find a nice plaza to sit and drink and read, people-watch; go find a little place where I can get a simple breakfast or snack; go to a little grocery store or meat shop, bread shop, etc.
-Upgrading easier at one than the other?
-Does one have better air conditioning than the other? (I like very cool rooms as well)
-Is the St. Regis that much nicer than the Westin for accommodation? I have never stayed at a St. Regis/Luxury Collection - should I try it?
-Will one offer free breakfast? (that's why I don't like Westins, no Concierge Lounge!)

Thanks for the suggestions! (BTW, I tried getting into the Marriott and I am Platinum with them as well and just want to get rid of my points, and even though they say there are no blackouts, they tell me this is their ONLY property where I couldn't book)
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:31 am

Thank you! - I agree, sounds like there isn't going to be that much of a difference and I won't really go wrong with either. I am just such a planner and like getting into EVERY detail, and just want the best when I am on vacation! I want to be pampered and spoiled! Happy Travels! Any Starwood properties you just absolutely LOVED?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by champagnekisses
I am heading to Rome for the first time at the end of April for one week. I am Platinum and am using my points. The Westin and the St. Regis are both Category 6 now and the same number of points. I did not look at the Eden, but looks like some people prefer that? I have read through the thread backwards based on more recent posts, but still can't really figure out where I should book.

-I usually like taking in a city's metro to explore a city - does being close to the metro in Rome really matter? I heard it was a "walking" city.
-I also like to use the gym, is one better than the other?
-I like being immersed in the local culture, so is the Westin location better? I'd like to be able to walk and find a nice plaza to sit and drink and read, people-watch; go find a little place where I can get a simple breakfast or snack; go to a little grocery store or meat shop, bread shop, etc.
-Upgrading easier at one than the other?
-Does one have better air conditioning than the other? (I like very cool rooms as well)
-Is the St. Regis that much nicer than the Westin for accommodation? I have never stayed at a St. Regis/Luxury Collection - should I try it?
-Will one offer free breakfast? (that's why I don't like Westins, no Concierge Lounge!)

Thanks for the suggestions! (BTW, I tried getting into the Marriott and I am Platinum with them as well and just want to get rid of my points, and even though they say there are no blackouts, they tell me this is their ONLY property where I couldn't book)
I think now that both properties are CAT6, this is a very good question to revisit. BOTH hotels used to be "Luxury Collection" properties. I stayed at the Excelsior when it was a CAT5 (and when CAT6 was the top category). I can't comment on the SR, although there are numerous good comments here. I was very impressed by the Excelsior, so I can only comment on that hotel, except my understanding is that the hotels are close to each other (I think), so the general answers to your location question should be similar. The Excelsior is in a great location. And, yes, Rome is a great walking city. You will have numerous options for for nearby plazas, restaurants, and a beautiful, mega-park. While there is a subway stop close by, we only used the subway once: to go from the hotel to the Colosseum, and from the Colosseum to the Vatican. For restaurants and other sight-seeing, we walked or took taxis.

* As for UGs, my suspicion is that the Excelsior has more many rooms, and more upgrade opportunities, and possibly a more liberal upgrade attitude; we got a wonderful penthouse suite upgrade with a balcony and great city view.

* Breakfasts: neither hotel comes with breakfast, and while the breakfast at the Excelsior was exceptional (one of the best), it was also extremely expensive for the buffet (30-35 Euros) and a la carte was very expensive too. But there are numerous cafes close by, including across the street.

* The Excelsior has a nice fitness, spa.

My guess is that the hotels have very different feelings. Excelsior is a very large, grande dame, palatial hotel. The public areas are beautiful. Service is very good for a big hotel.

I am sure the SR will be much more intimate.

Last edited by nologic; Mar 31, 2009 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by nologic
It is important to note that BOTH hotels are "Luxury Collection" properties.
While they both may be luxury hotels, they are NOT Luxury Collection properties.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
While they both may be luxury hotels, they are NOT Luxury Collection properties.
Interesting. Neither are now Luxury Collection properties? I think they both used to be (4-5 years ago?). I stayed there as part of the SPG Platinum Luxury Collection 3 property promotion. For our 3 Luxury Collection properties, we stayed at the Park Tower in London, Europa and Regina in Venice, and Excelsior in Rome. Now, it looks like many of the Luxury Collection properties have been deleted from the Luxury Collection. Wonder what happened?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1K
NYE in Rome - Any Suggestions

Mr. Wine1K is taking me to Rome for romantic NYE. Using points - Excelsior, St. R and Eden LM all same - 20k/night. Husband is Plat *wood and Diamond HH. WA Cavalieri sold out even to Diamonds for points on 12/30 and 31. Leaning towards Excelsior or LM. Maybe 2 nights Eden and 3 nights Cavalieri? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
OK, with Excelsior's drop in category, I now have a delimma.

I currently have a 5 night stay over Christmas for 2 rooms at the St. Regis (using C&P awards). But with the Excelsior dropping to a Cat. 5, it could get 2 rooms there for 15K points and $600 less for those same 5 days. I assume there is a reason why the Excelsior has dropped. But when I look at both of their rates over my stay dates, the rates aren't that different.

Based on reviews I had decided that the St. Regis would probably provide a bit more of a memorable stay, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra points and cash for it.

Note I'm traveling with my family (wife and two teenagers) and none of us have been to Rome before (and the rest of the family has never been to Europe before either.)
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Delta, AA, United, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by hhoope01
OK, with Excelsior's drop in category, I now have a delimma.

I currently have a 5 night stay over Christmas for 2 rooms at the St. Regis (using C&P awards). But with the Excelsior dropping to a Cat. 5, it could get 2 rooms there for 15K points and $600 less for those same 5 days. I assume there is a reason why the Excelsior has dropped. But when I look at both of their rates over my stay dates, the rates aren't that different.

Based on reviews I had decided that the St. Regis would probably provide a bit more of a memorable stay, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra points and cash for it.

Note I'm traveling with my family (wife and two teenagers) and none of us have been to Rome before (and the rest of the family has never been to Europe before either.)
I'm facing the same dilemma for my stay in May. I decided to keep my reservation with the St Regis since this is a romantic vacation with my husband for our anniversary, so I want to have as much luxury as possible during our trip, and I have plenty of points to use for the whole stay.

If you're saving up for another vacation in the next year, or if cost is enough of an issue, I would suggest that you change to the Westin Excelsior. I've read they have bigger rooms there, the rooms are still luxurious, and I've heard the location is better. If they were 12,000 points when I was initially making the reservation, I would have booked it and not looked back. Just be careful you don't get a smoking room (or floor), if you're not a smoker. And also definitely ask for an upgrade if you're an elite member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.