Kapalua Bay hotel question

Old Jul 16, 03, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K - Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
Kapalua Bay hotel question

Called the hotel yesterday to enquire about getting a nice room on my upcoming award stay (special occasion) and received back a fax from the hotel today saying that I was assigned a Garden Double with Double beds. I initially asked for a king and I was expecting something with Ocean view as a Platinum upgrade. Are these Garden double rooms nice ??? What should I do ??? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16, 03, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I believe the garden rooms are ground floor. The grounds at this hotel are beautiful, but as a platinum that really is bottom of the barrel. I would write to Ron Creamer, whom is the rooms manager and a really nice man, to see what he can do for you. The best rooms for view are 610 and 710 in my opinion. these are deluxe ocean view. Although the grounds are lovely I honestly feel that the rooms at this hotel need a re-furbishment. The beds are rock hard and the rooms are very plain and worn for a luxury collection. It is a very relaxing property with the best views that you can imagine. The bathrooms have a seperate shower, which is wonderful.

While you are there check out the Honolua Store. It's an old fashioned general store about a mile up the road next to the Ritz. We walked there every morning to buy water, etc. They also have hot breakfast and lunch, but usually we just got a juice and would sit at the picnic tables outside just to soak in the tranquility of the area.
Old Jul 16, 03, 6:04 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by svenskaflicka:
I would write to Ron Creamer, whom is the rooms manager and a really nice man, </font>
i second that sentiment.
Old Jul 17, 03, 8:30 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Or change your reservation to the Sheraton Maui.....
Old Jul 17, 03, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K - Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
Or change your reservation to the Sheraton Maui.....</font>
is the Sheraton nicer ??
Old Jul 17, 03, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
If you do stay at the Kapalua Bay, skip the fancy restaurant for dinner. It is very mediocre and terribly overpriced. A great place for a drink at sunset, however.
Old Jul 17, 03, 10:33 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JerryFF:
If you do stay at the Kapalua Bay, skip the fancy restaurant for dinner. It is very mediocre and terribly overpriced. A great place for a drink at sunset, however. </font>
and eat early. even during holiday busy season this place packs it in unbelievably early.
Old Jul 17, 03, 11:12 am

Last year when we ate there we hated it, but they have a new chef and we were pleasantly surprised when we were there in May. Much better quality. For some reason they were all over us with free appetizers and free desert. Mabey, they thought we were someone famous!
Old Jul 22, 03, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Stayed at Kapalua Bay 7/3-8. Did not get upgrade due to oversold situation. Thought I was going to die! HOWEVER, room that we got (#152) was OUTSTANDING! No view, but close to pool. Building with just 6 units and we loved it- so much we rebooked for February during my daughter's winter break. My ratings:

Bell staff/Valet- very, very good.

Front desk staff- had the enthusiasm and empathy of a lava rock

Pool- wonderful

Pool staff- ditto

Pool bar & restaurant- really good. great mai tai's.

Golf- some of the best- regardless of handicap

Restaurants- good for breakfast. Lounge good for casual eats. Other restaurants close by- so no big deal about having to eat in the hotel.

Got really nice amenities nightly- sushi, seared ahi, truffles, etc.

Was it the most luxurious? No.

Was it a great stay? Definitely.

I highly recommend this resort- no kidding!
Old Jul 23, 03, 12:29 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by couscous:
Called the hotel yesterday to enquire about getting a nice room on my upcoming award stay (special occasion) and received back a fax from the hotel today saying that I was assigned a Garden Double with Double beds. I initially asked for a king and I was expecting something with Ocean view as a Platinum upgrade. Are these Garden double rooms nice ??? What should I do ??? Thanks in advance.</font>
I would be interested in knowing if the Kapalua Bay Villas are available for an award stay. The Bay Villas are fabulous.
Old Jul 23, 03, 12:47 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
I would be interested in knowing if the Kapalua Bay Villas are available for an award stay. The Bay Villas are fabulous.</font>
Sorry, no award availability for the villas.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 23, 03, 12:53 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by couscous:
is the Sheraton nicer ??</font>
Well, they're very different, but both very nice. The Kapalua is more 'exquisite' (and, accordingly, more expensive). But the Sheraton Maui is definitely one of the best Sheraton's in the brand. Lots of posts here about it.
Old Jul 23, 03, 4:53 pm
Original Member

If you're into sushi, there's a great place just around the corner - walking distance. Get's packed, so get reservations, or plan on going early. Sorry, forget the name - ask the concierge.
Old Jul 23, 03, 5:46 pm

That would be Sansei.
Old Jul 24, 03, 8:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
. . . Kapalua is more 'exquisite' (and, accordingly, more expensive). </font>
"Exquisite" was certainly not my experience, which is detailed in another post on this property. Bottom line: My room was tired, worn, mildewed & overall average, though the view was nice. Service was lackluster, at best and downright frustrating at times. Constructive feedback to the GM went unanswered.

In my personal experience, Starwood has many better properties in Hawaii.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: