Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Porto, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Porto, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Just finished three days at the hotel, and wanted to post a small review.

We were upgraded to a huge suite. I am a platinum, and we were on the cash+ points rate of 3500 points plus US$55 per night.

Included in that rate was breakfast either in the club lounge or lobby restaurant, plus full access to the spa. The club lounge was stocked with food and drink all day.

Spa was incredible, the hot tub was one of the best I've ever been in.

Super people, great facility, all in all quite happy with this hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Wondering if they do anything nice for SPG Golds...really looking for club access, but doubt they would upgrade for free. Or maybe they might offer an upgrade for a fee?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jun 9, 2017 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Wondering if they do anything nice for SPG Golds...really looking for club access, but doubt they would upgrade for free. Or maybe they might offer an upgrade for a fee?
I was there few days ago, and I am Gold. I was upgraded to better room (which includes a bottle of wine), but no club access. Club access was not offered to me (with or without a fee). Late check out was not a problem.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:00 am

Is club access guaranteed to those with an SPG business card?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
The Club/Lounge at the Sheraton Porto is on the 12 floor (room/card key access required to both the floor and lounge).

IMHO, the lounge is not worth any extra points/dollars/euros that you might be tempted to pay............
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Billiken
The Club/Lounge at the Sheraton Porto is on the 12 floor (room/card key access required to both the floor and lounge).

IMHO, the lounge is not worth any extra points/dollars/euros that you might be tempted to pay............
i stayed at the Sheraton Porto a little over 2 years ago for just one night upon arrival. As an SPG Plat, I got a nice suite upgrade, and of course had club access. I didn’t get to enjoy the evening offerings, but I was able to have breakfast in the lounge OR the restaurant. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. I’m not sure how much I would pay to upgrade to the club. It depends on how much use I’d get out of it versus just paying for the breakfast buffet outright. Also, I felt that location of the Sheraton was a just a little further from the city center than I wanted to be, so I switched over to the Intercontinental, a beautiful historic property, for my next few nights while visiting Porto.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Billiken

I must say I agree with you.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
What's the deal with spa access at this property - it is only listed for Club rooms. Do Platinums get automatic access?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Was given Spa access, am a plat. But perhaps this was included in our suite? Not sure.
Just checked out here after seven days. Was upgraded to a suite. Boy what a nice stay we had. Lovely Hotel, well trained staff, we always felt welcome wherever we went. Porto is a fantastic city as well. Will love to come back in the future.
Spa comes with an inside pool, lager jacuzzi and some saunas. Not really amazing but not bad either.

​​​​​Location of the hotel is a bit outside of the downtown but there are convenience stores near by the road. The station Francos is just 10min walk and there is an even close bus pit with number 201 that takes you easily to city centre within 10 minutes.
As a platinum we were offered both Welcome points of 500 and breakfast at the restaurant. The breakfast in the restaurant was one of the best I've ever had. Felt like a Park Hyatt breakfast with champagne etc. Lounge was smaller but okay for a beer and light eveening snacks.
Our room, not sure if ut was the executive or junior, was large with a living room connecting to our bedroom. Both rain shower and a large bathtub. Two water sink.

​​​​​Was not given a green card one day but was for the rest of the four days. Took this up with fd so lets see if they will post all five. They will give you green stay for maximum three days and then they will clean the room. After that you may have the green card on your door again.

Lovely stay and highly recommend a stay here.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jul 14, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I stayed at the Sheraton Porto last week and already had high hopes for the visit after the concierge from the hotel reached out to me several weeks before my visit. I thought this to be very pro-active of the hotel.

To my delight, I noticed that my regular room had been upgraded to an Executive two room Suite - and as a result I promptly cancelled my three night Suite Night award request to save them for another occasion.

It is great that a hotel such as this is actively looking so far ahead and upgrading guests weeks in advance.

I also asked for an upgrade to a suite for my second room but the property would only go so far as to upgrade to a Club room and offer the usual free breakfast.

The actual hotel is very modern inside. Lots of glass everywhere including the lifts which zoom to the 12th floor where the club lounge is located whilst offering a balcony showcasing great views of the surrounding area.

The bedroom is similarly modern with electric blinds on all the widows and even the bathroom divider.

This Sheraton, unlike those in the US has hardwood floors which I always feel are much cleaner than those with carpeted floors so common in America.

My suite was decorated with a superb sepia photo covering the entire wall depicting the centre of Porto. A simple touch that really made an impression.

Upon checking-in we were advised to enjoy the daily breakfast in the restaurant as opposed to the lounge. The agent was correct - the lounge offerings were poor by comparison and I’m not really sure why they even bother offering breakfast if they don’t offer something either completely different or at least replicate the superb selection downstairs.

The breakfast in the restaurant each morning was excellent with a large spread of breads, fruits, cake, cheeses, salmon, cereal and an eggs and omelette station. The venue is huge and airy. Tables are positioned quite some distance apart from one another meaning that even when the hotel is busy, the restaurant does not feel as though it is.

The only downside to staying here is that you are quite a walk from the main tourist area of Porto. Maps suggested it would take 45 minutes to walk, while a taxi each morning took about 20 minutes. That said, Uber is extremely good value here and travel to and from the main areas was never more than €5.

I would like to stay here again and I definitely would, especially if I found a good rate, however I am rather tempted by the Intercontinental option which is by far the most central location and grandest property in the area being located on Av Liberdade and I will probably choose that hotel for any return trip to this picturesque city.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
The spa is the stand out feature of this hotel. However, I found the restaurant breakfast here to be very mediocre.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
The spa is the stand out feature of this hotel. However, I found the restaurant breakfast here to be very mediocre.
Completely agree. Breakfast here was very hectic and was not so pleased. The worst was that you had to wait in line to be seated, and it was not quick waiting.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:13 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
stayed here two nights on the weekend as a plat. 'upgraded' to a club room. but this was on a weekend and the hotel looked full

location is a bit better than the ac, only a bit better. honestly i say just pay half and stay at the ac and take the train 4-6 stops in. you'll have to do it with this property too.

the sheraton is located in a more residential area with places to drink eat within walking distance etc. but ac is next to a mall with a hypermarket so ymmv.

the rooms here however have nicer bath amenities but honestly we liked our superior room/jr suite at the ac which also had a bathtub but also 2 showers.

gym was way better here at the sheraton and the spa was very good. the pool was ok, the hot tub is not at all hot, it's just an extension of the pool and not hot water, but the spa did have 2x steam rooms and 3x saunas including a truly quiet solarium area with the double bed sized fold up bed remotes you demand for your neenaww in her nursing home. it was a very nice and relaxing touch.

breakfast here was lit. everything you want and need, egg station, sparkling wine, fresh squeezed oj, everythign

lounge here was VERY good. wine was served 1200-2300hrs, always nice cool refreshments. the lounge was very small but very good appys during appy hour and again refreshments always around. this is a lot better than marriotts which charge for wine and take anything delicious away 10 minutes before the cut off.

all these things were nice and the staff were super nice but i do not know if this is worth paying 100euro v. 60euro at the ac where you don't get a spa and as comprehensive/boozy a breakfast, but pretty much the same room and same equidistance from town. again this hotel was great but if you're wondering which one to go with, i say ac but that's because i'm cheap.

there is a full service grocery very much nearby the hotel, it is across from the crown plaza. i do not recall the name but it's open late, like 2200 and it's full service and a 5 minute walk tops from the hotel.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:32 pm

any recent stays?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:36 pm

Was there last week. Given a club room but club lounge was still closed - breakfast in the restaurant, happy hour 6pm-8pm via room service.
Spa was open and it was very good. Hotel facilities and the room felt very new and functional. I couldn't tell it's a hotel built in 2003.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.