FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Nominations for Worst Platinum Happy Hour (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1749603-nominations-worst-platinum-happy-hour.html)

expatbkk Feb 28, 2016 4:00 am

Nominations for Worst Platinum Happy Hour

While my experience is mostly limited to Asia, I have to give my vote to the Sheraton Hotel & Towers in Hong Kong. I am sitting here right now, it's 5:45pm (it starts at 5:30pm), there are dirty dishes everywhere, empty wine bottles, the two hot hors d'oeuvres are stone cold and greasy, the tables are dirty and and the staff is not what I would call 'proactive'. There's a guy in the corner in a semi-stupor who seems mind numbingly drunk and/or mentally unstable.

Close second: St. Regis Singapore.

IMHO, Le Meridien's seem to do it best.

cln Feb 28, 2016 8:41 am

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport and yeah Sheraton Hong Kong :]

ehud Feb 28, 2016 9:14 am

I'm sitting @ The Westin Cape Town- One of the best happy hour I've ever experienced.
Well done !

mahasamatman Feb 28, 2016 10:13 am

My nominations for worst happy hour are the 70% of properties that don't even have one.

iflyjetz Feb 28, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 26256466)
A close second are the North American properties where "happy hour" does not include alcoholic beverages.

Are you referring to free alcoholic beverages or simply no alcoholic beverages? I'd guess that 99% of North American hotel loyalty lounges charge for alcohol. Free alcohol is common internationally but not in North America.

As far as the topic goes, I find that most North American lounges aren't that good. On the positive side, I like the Westin Phoenix Downtown lounge. And yes, they also charge for alcohol.

superangrypenguin Feb 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Agreed about the Sheraton Hong Kong.

jpdx Feb 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 26256338)
My nominations for worst happy hour are the 70% of properties that don't even have one.

Generally, I'm inclined to agree that something is better than nothing, but there are plenty of hotels that don't have a lounge (or offer a Platinum happy hour) but make up for it in other ways -- great upgrades, great breakfast, etc. So maybe the pertinent question for this thread is: which hotels have a Platinum "happy hour" that is so weak that it's not worth leaving your room?

Sheraton HK is definitely on that list (and it's well documented on the property thread), and I'd for sure add Sheraton Yokohama and Westin Nagoya as candidates for the most laughable lounge. I can think of some other hotels with weak Platinum benefits -- the new one drink per person per night and don't touch the buffet policy at LM Suvarnabhumi, the coffee hour at Westin Nusa Dua, etc etc.

AZ Travels the World Feb 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Moderator Warning

A significant number (too many) off-topic posts in this thread have been deleted.

If you have an issue with a post or thread, kindly notify the moderators and move along.

DO NOT post your concern about the worthiness, appropriateness or location of the post -- even if responding to someone else doing so. It only makes things worse within the thread and creates a mess that we have to waste our Sunday afternoon cleaning up. Please just notify the moderators and leave it in our hands.

Let's be clear. This does not mean 'post in the thread, and notify the moderators.' This makes you just as much a part of the problem, and subject to disciplinary action for off-topic posting.

Thank you for your understanding. Let's now return to the topic of this thread.

- AZ

clublounger Feb 28, 2016 2:55 pm

I vote for the Sheraton Hong Kong, as well. It's amazing how different the Guangzhou lounges are to this very odd, poorly stocked lounge.

Oh, the Sheraton Great Wall lounge has sub-par offerings, too. Still I stay there, as the price is certainly right.

ignorantcow Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 26257019)
I can think of some other hotels with weak Platinum benefits -- the new one drink per person per night and don't touch the buffet policy at LM Suvarnabhumi

Choked on my morning coffee typing this from LM Suvarnabhumi. Great property, just wish they weren't so calculative about everything. Aren't drinks served at Latitude, though?

jpdx Feb 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ignorantcow (Post 26258107)
Choked on my morning coffee typing this from LM Suvarnabhumi. Great property, just wish they weren't so calculative about everything. Aren't drinks served at Latitude, though?

You're the one who's staying there right now, so why don't you tell us? Last time I was there, the benefit was great -- free flowing drinks plus whatever you want from the tapas bar -- but there are reports on the property thread that the happy hour has been reduced to one drink per person per night plus no tapas. I'd they reverted to the full experience, they obviously don't deserve to be on the bad list (please update the property thread).

Absolute Feb 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 26256778)

Same; also one of the strangest lounges; I didn't even realize there were other rooms at first. Strikes me as a suite... with a lounge pushed into it.

kasi Feb 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 26256778)

should not be mixed up with the towers lounge which is excellent. My favorite lowlight is the Sheraton MXP lounge.

Jesperss Feb 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Is a city like Hong Kong with all the great and cheap restaurants, why waste your appetite at a hotel lounge?

SNA_Flyer Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm

Normally I would agree with you, but taken a different way - with so many world class hotels with excellent lounges/elite happy hours - LM, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, the Sheraton is a real poor offering.