Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 State Game - No one is going to Athens

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

50 State Game - No one is going to Athens

I guess the rules of the game have changed. Get NY and go to HI not Athens.

Having never been to HI, but suffered Athens in the summer, its an upgrade in my mind.

Still on 46 states (having played EVERY DAY)

[This message has been edited by SteveinA2 (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:33 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
8) Prizes: Collect and Win Grand Prize: Due to a change in availability, the Grand Prize will no longer be a trip to Athens as noted below. Instead the Grand Prize will be the Ultimate Fantasy Trip to the 50th State. The trip will include First-Class Round-Trip Airfare for two (2) from the closest international airport to the winner's residence to Maui, Hawaii, one (1 midsize rental car [to be picked up from the Avis/Hertz at the Maui International Airport] for six days in Maui, six (6) days, five (5) nights for two at Kapalua Bay Hotel & Ocean Villas (single room, double occupancy), one (1) round of golf at Kapalua Bay Hotel & Ocean Villas including course fees and 2 sets of clubs, lunch, dinner and cocktails for two (2) with a current or retired professional football player and guest at the hotel, allowance of $3,000 for miscellaneous activities/tours/lessons in Hawaii for winner and guest (i.e. jetskiing, extra golf, snorkeling, surfing, etc.), and One (1) Autographed jersey from athlete. Sponsor will choose the professional football player, choose the athlete that signs the jersey, and will decide the size of the jersey all in its sole discretion. Trip to be taken between February and June, 2005 and winner and travel companion must be available to travel on these days or the prize will be forfeited. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): $50,000. All expenses and incidental travel needs not expressly stated in the package description above, including but not limited to, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes, passports or visas or other expenses or incidentals are the responsibility solely of winner. Travel companion must travel on same itinerary and at the same time as the winner. Winner and Travel companion must execute liability/publicity releases prior to travel. Travel restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. [NO LONGER AVAILABLE: Trip for two (2) to Athens, Greece for the 2004 games. Trip package includes coach airfare for two (2) from the closest international airport to the winner's residence to Athens, Greece, eight (8) days, seven (7) night's luxury accommodations on the Silver Wind, (single cabin, double occupancy), three (3) available meals each day, a minimum of two (2) games tickets each day with preferred Sponsor seating, ground transportation on fully accredited deluxe motor coaches, unlimited access to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S hospitality tent in the Sponsor Village at OAKA, access to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S world famous parties, optional day trips, and two (2) custom designed SPORTS ILLUSTRATED gift bags. Mode of transportation, cabin accommodations and seat locations to be selected in Sponsor's sole discretion. The trip will culminate with a cruise to either Istanbul or Venice. Cruise destination to be determined by sponsor at their sole discretion. Trip dates are August 26th, 2004 through September 2nd, 2004 and winner and travel companion must be available to travel on these days. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): $50,000. Winner is responsible for arranging own passport and visa requirements. All expenses and incidental travel needs not expressly stated in the package description above, including but not limited to, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes, passports or visas, or other expenses or incidentals are the responsibility solely of winner. Travel companion must travel on same itinerary and at the same time as the winner. Travel companion must execute liability/publicity releases prior to travel. Travel restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates.]

If you have questions, please contact the game administrators at the following email address:

[email protected]

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:52 pm

The new prize is valued at $50,000 and the winner can't even pick the size of the jersey?

Can the winner add money to the prize and get a jersey that fits?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I am no longer even interested in playing this game. I invested the time to play every day and then this...what did Starwood not block a few rooms off?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
all in all, a fabulously marketed and operated contest.

(not blaming you, william )
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jakester:

The new prize is valued at $50,000 and the winner can't even pick the size of the jersey?
</font>
Aside from the annoyance of having them switch the prize mid-contest, I am having a really hard time justifying the ARV at much above $10K. . .how do they get $50K? At least with Greece there was more room for fudging (e.g. what is the price of accomodations on a yacht in Athens during the Olympics, plus event tix and hospitality tent access - lotsa things with no fixed price).

I am curious though, if a platinum wins, is the room at least upgradable?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Oh, I think they changed this just for me because Hawaii is my favorite place in the world! I'll have to bargain with God everday from now until February to win. I never wanted the Greece trip, but now I want to win soooo badly.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If I win do I have to schmooze with some jock or can I just hang out by the pool?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:02 pm

This is probably the first of a long series of cockups we're going to be seeing for this Olympics. I would love to have eavesdropped on the conversations that led to this change of plan.

As a former resident of Athens, I cannot envision how they will manage to successfully organise this mega-event. As the t-shirt says: hell is...where the Greeks are the organisers. Now with the terrorist issue, this is truly going to be a recipe for chaos....
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:11 pm

Uh-oh, a travel prize for $50k. That's a fun one to win, especially when Starwood sends the 1099 and the winner takes out a second mortgage for the &gt;$10k tax bill.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:37 pm

The way this is going, is the former athlete Orienthal James Simpson?

Even money says the winner will be from Hawaii.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I am having trouble believing that this trip totals $50,000. Mabey 5,000 for the airline tickets, 3000 for the hotel 3000 for spending, whatever for the golf and a car rental. Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:05 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Athens and the Olympics had a little bit of charm, a trip to hawaii... how boring.... now if it were a week in Bora Bora I'd be interested and keep playing.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:12 pm

There is no way this trip is $50,000. I recently purchased round-trip first class airfare from NYC-HNL at $1200 for travel in May. I'm also planning to stay at the Kapalua and the rates are not too high. IMHO, this is probably in the $5-6K range.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's a heck of a downgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.