Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

G-Rough, Rome, Italy, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Must drop off rental car and take taxi to hotel as hotel is in a zone not permitting cars.

General information: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

G-Rough, Rome, Italy, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has anyone stayed here? If so, how was it?
I'm curious too. All-suite, 10 room boutique property that I've got tentatively booked for 4 nights in Sept 2018. TripAdvisor has mostly excellent reviews, but it appears it can be noisy as in an old building and some reports of the 'hip" look isn't too practical I'd like to know what their award night room is like - requires 35K SPG/night. Good location, large room. Don't think can find similar points value elsewhere in Rome, so I'll give it a chance.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:10 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Bump.

Have any of you FTers stayed there yet?

I'm so looking forward to reading your reports...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:30 pm

Anyone stay yet? I waited too long to book the St. Regis and the Westin and the rooms are filled so I'm thinking about this one.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:19 am

I booked a 5 night stay in April. I'll let you guys know how it is lol.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
I booked a 5 night stay in April. I'll let you guys know how it is lol.
Did you stay in the G-Rough yet?
Debating between the G-Rough and St Regis for a stay next month....
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:59 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gswannabe
Thanks
Are you aware of the brand new Marriott/SPG option? It was new to me so figured others may be unaware too. Its location is arguably the best out of all the properties. But not exactly sure when it's opening.

Here's the thread from the Marriott Forum:
The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection - Rome Italy

Last edited by JBD; Apr 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’ve stayed in that area before (at Albergo del Senato). It is very central to the main sights, but also quite loud from fairly early in the morning to fairly late at night. Just FYI in case that bothers you.

It is a pleasant 20-ish min walk from the Excelsior to the Pantheon area, and the St Regis isn’t that much different. Both are in much quieter areas.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:53 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Choosing a hotel for noise issues

Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’ve stayed in that area before (at Albergo del Senato). It is very central to the main sights, but also quite loud from fairly early in the morning to fairly late at night. Just FYI in case that bothers you.

It is a pleasant 20-ish min walk from the Excelsior to the Pantheon area, and the St Regis isn’t that much different. Both are in much quieter areas.
The new Pantheon hotel is definitely an unknown commodity but of note is that the Albergo del Senato is smack dab on Piazza della Rotonda in front of the Pantheon which draws every tourist under the sun and street performers, etc, so no doubt that property has noise issues.

Also, regarding the noise you experienced at the Albergo del Senato, a big component is whether the property has sound proofed windows and if so, the caliber of sound proofing employed. Both the Excelsior and St. Regis face busy streets with all the inherent vehicular noise (sirens, vespas, etc) but they both have high end sound proof windows . I've had most my stays at the Excelsior, and with the windows shut I was never bothered by street noise. (However when staying in rooms close to the Doney I was kept awake by the music playing, and when staying on the 6th floor (I think) I was kept awake by people walking above me).

Regarding the G-Rough, I haven't been there yet, and hoping to hear from you all what it's like...

But this new Autograph hotel is on a little side street behind (south) and to the west of the Pantheon, so the noise it encounters would have really nothing to do with the noise the Albergo del Senato encounters.

For reference here's the link to the streetview in front of the new Pantheon Iconic hotel so you can see for yourself how much foot and vehicle traffic it will experience: https://goo.gl/maps/djXehxE1mGp
Old May 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by gswannabe
Thanks
Just got back from Italy this week.

So in regards to the G-Rough, I absolutely loved it. It's much more homey than hotel and the design aspects of it really is wonderful. There's only 10 rooms on the entire property and each room has its own unique design. The staff is small but they are very accommodating and really set our experience apart from most big properties because they got to know us personally. My girlfriend setup a surprise birthday cake for me with the in-house chef and they made a giant delicious cake when she asked for a small one just cause they wanted something nice for us. Bartenders treated me well with birthday drinks and shots as well. The location is perfect if you're out to sigh see since you're smack dabbed in the center but you won't hear much street noise from the room.

I would say the only knock I have on the place is that you can hear people walking on the floor above you that can get a little loud so if you're a light sleeper that might be troublesome.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again over the St. Regis from what I experienced before (pre-remodel). If you're into the traditional, old timey luxury, you might enjoy the St. Regis more.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.
SanDiego1K and JBD like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

3 of us (all adults) will be traveling together. I am debating between booking 2 rooms or a two bedroom apartment. It's roughly the same price. Base rooms have queen beds whereas the apartment has king beds, so there is that. Thoughts?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
Just got back from Italy this week.

So in regards to the G-Rough, I absolutely loved it. It's much more homey than hotel and the design aspects of it really is wonderful. There's only 10 rooms on the entire property and each room has its own unique design. The staff is small but they are very accommodating and really set our experience apart from most big properties because they got to know us personally. My girlfriend setup a surprise birthday cake for me with the in-house chef and they made a giant delicious cake when she asked for a small one just cause they wanted something nice for us. Bartenders treated me well with birthday drinks and shots as well. The location is perfect if you're out to sigh see since you're smack dabbed in the center but you won't hear much street noise from the room.

I would say the only knock I have on the place is that you can hear people walking on the floor above you that can get a little loud so if you're a light sleeper that might be troublesome.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again over the St. Regis from what I experienced before (pre-remodel). If you're into the traditional, old timey luxury, you might enjoy the St. Regis more.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a wonderful property and another great option for Rome. I loved the St Regis even prior to the renovation completion (which should be imminent), but this also sounds like a great luxury boutique hotel option for those that prefer that.

Did the air con work well?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a wonderful property and another great option for Rome. I loved the St Regis even prior to the renovation completion (which should be imminent), but this also sounds like a great luxury boutique hotel option for those that prefer that.

Did the air con work well?
Worked really well. We kept ours on freezing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

We've had one stay report. Any others?

What about favorite restaurants in the neighborhood?

Does anyone have an email for the hotel?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:50 pm

Stayed last Sept for 4 days. Funky small hotel with a hip vibe in a good-to-excellent location - we'd go back. Rooms are at best Junior Suites with odd layout and strange supposedly-hip furnishings in an older remodeled building. Tiny elevator - they put two guests in and run up stairs to show you the room. It's a 3-4 star property in a 4.75 location. Breakfast is a small room on main floor at the back - we never ate there due to always having someplace to go. Convenient neighborhood to see the sites with tons of restaurants nearby. We walked everywhere, even to the Vatican (albeit that where a cab would have been better on a hot day).

While not hotel-applicable, can't recommend enough taking some Segway tours while in Rome - fantastic way to get to see all the sites (even the hills) - you maximize your time, see tons of sites and have fun doing it. Very easy to learn, and within an hour you're an expert (riding in 10-20 mins depending on your coordination). Ride on sidewalks and streets/plazas without being a nuisance to hordes of pedestrians - want to change your itinerary on the fly? No problem. We found two Segway rental/tour places thru Viator that were both only a few blocks away from the hotel - both times my wife and I were the only guests, so private tour both times. Best way to see Rome's sights and great value-for-money. Highly recommended!
SanDiego1K, JBD and frmnj like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:31 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Email

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
...Does anyone have an email for the hotel?
Just looked at the hotel's site I linked in the first post (took a really long time to load fyi), scrolled to the very bottom where you'll find "Contacts" and see this:
General information: [email protected]

Reservations: [email protected]
SanDiego1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.