I might actually BUY Starpoints...help me!!!

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I might actually BUY Starpoints...help me!!!

So, with the recent category changes by SPG, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I will be staying at the Sheraton Park Lane for 5 nights in August this summer. I have two rooms reserved, one on points for 48K, and one in cash for 3 nights and points (24K) for the other two. I have a ton of SPG travel on the books and planned on accumulating the necessary 24K points in the next two months to convert that room over to all points. Then the category changed, and I won't be able to accumulate those points nearly in time. Right now I have 9671, and hopefully SPG will do a bonus points sweep to bump that up closer to 11,000 this weekend.

I am no sure of any other way to get points added to my account so quickly. My SPG Amex statement won't hit in time, and Amex won't forward credit me the points to be earned later, I already asked. I'm thinking my only alternative here is to buy the points at $490 for 14,000 points and book the room. As tough as that is to swallow, that will still be cheaper than paying for the last tow nights at 330 GBP/night (currently ~$473usd/night).

So...unless someone here has a magic formula that I'm not thinking about, I think buying points is really my best option...thoughts? Advice?

All, greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:17 pm

I'm in a similar spot bsdstone. I need 10,000 pts. I have 20,000 on the way, but they will post a few weeks after the starwood category increases.

Besides buying points, the only other idea I had was transferring Amex Rewards points to SPG. The transfer rate (3:1) is horrible, though.

Also open to other ideas from those on the forums.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I would probably just buy the points. :-( Sorry. I'm disappointed about the Park Lane category change also.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Are you flying Delta or Emirates? They do a crossover promotion where if you fly Delta or Emirates, you also earn SPG points too, but I'm sure you already know this. Additional dining at the hotels too. Yeah, not many options with transferring points to SPG; number 1 drawback for me in this program. Maybe SPG will have a better Q2 promotion coming before August?

I'm not into Uber, but that gives poor-man SPG points. Good Luck!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Are you flying Delta or Emirates? They do a crossover promotion where if you fly Delta or Emirates, you also earn SPG points too, but I'm sure you already know this. Additional dining at the hotels too. Yeah, not many options with transferring points to SPG; number 1 drawback for me in this program. Maybe SPG will have a better Q2 promotion coming before August?

I'm not into Uber, but that gives poor-man SPG points. Good Luck!
The crossover program between DL and SPG is complicated. In general, only elites get miles/points.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I tried a few dummy bookings and they're coming in at 16,000 pts/night for the Park Lane in August. If that's the case, you'll need 64K pts for a 5 night stay on points (fifth night free). And since you can only buy 20K Starpoints per year, it appears that you won't be able to book your stay on points.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How about a trade on Coupon Connection?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I tried a few dummy bookings and they're coming in at 16,000 pts/night for the Park Lane in August. If that's the case, you'll need 64K pts for a 5 night stay on points (fifth night free). And since you can only buy 20K Starpoints per year, it appears that you won't be able to book your stay on points.
If that is the case, I will call William and have them manually force it through as the T'&C clearly states bookings after March 1.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by bsdstone
If that is the case, I will call William and have them manually force it through as the T'&C clearly states bookings after March 1.
16K points is still Cat 5. Cat 5's 12-16K pts/night. Cat 6 is 20-25k pts/night.

Maybe I was dummy booking it incorrectly, but I'd recommend you do a dummy booking for the days you want and see what happens.

At this point, if you're able to get 12K/night for 4 nights w/5th night free, I'd just buy the points, book it and call it good because I don't see any other solution to your problem. I couldn't even find a cash+points option for that property.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm thinking my only alternative here is to buy the points at $490 for 14,000 points and book the room. As tough as that is to swallow, that will still be cheaper than paying for the last tow nights at 330 GBP/night (currently ~$473usd/night).

So...unless someone here has a magic formula that I'm not thinking about, I think buying points is really my best option...thoughts? Advice?

All, greatly appreciated!

Why don't you call AMEX and ask for a retention bonus. Some members here have reported 3 to 10K points depending on your spend. Could reduce your actual cost to 140$.

cleo
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If buy points via point.com how long points post to my account?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The crossover program between DL and SPG is complicated. In general, only elites get miles/points.
OP is a LT Platinum. I don't find the Crossover program all that complicated. As a SPG Platinum, I receive SPG points and check-in/luggage privileges as outlined on SPG.com. My wife, as a SPG Gold, receives only SPG points for dollars spent on Delta. We've never had any issues in receiving these benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
are points purchases from SPG.com instantly posted to your account?

what about MR to SPG transfers?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jwongathon
are points purchases from SPG.com instantly posted to your account?
They are posted within 24 hours.

From: http://buy.points.com/marketing/spg/...emplate.html#8

How long will it take for Starpoints to be posted to my account?
Starpoints will be credited within 24 hours of your purchase.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice/feedback...I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the points...something I thought I would never do!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.