Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in but not staying at the hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Checking in but not staying at the hotel

Is there any problem for me to check in to my hotel and not stay (6 days in 3 rooms for Platinum challenge)?

Will I have to physically be at the hotel when I check out or I can just give them a call and ask them to pick up the room key in the rooms?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
a) no; b) yes
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by jkuok
Is there any problem for me to check in to my hotel and not stay (6 days in 3 rooms for Platinum challenge)?

Will I have to physically be at the hotel when I check out or I can just give them a call and ask them to pick up the room key in the rooms?
Don't forget to MAGC and rack up some extra points!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It all depends on the hotel. If housekeeping enters the room and they see it's not being used, they may assume you're gone and check you out. You have to ask yourself whether you think it's worth it to commit fraud.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miami305
Don't forget to MAGC and rack up some extra points!
whats MAGC?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:31 pm

Make a Green Choice. You can turn down housekeeping and get 500 or 250 points (depending on the brand) for each day you're there - except the day of departure.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

No need to even call about the key or to check out. But do call if you put the DND sign out.

However, should housekeeping enter the room and determine you are no longer there, you may be checked out early. Hanging the DND sign is not a solution either as many properties require a room inspection every few days to make sure everything is ok with the room (not trashed, missing furniture, or dead bodies).

This is asking a bit much to do six nights in three rooms. Any way you can break it up to no more than one or two nights at a time.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kenji
a) no; b) yes
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It all depends on the hotel. If housekeeping enters the room and they see it's not being used, they may assume you're gone and check you out. You have to ask yourself whether you think it's worth it to commit fraud.
Thanks guys, definitely not worth it if its consider as fraud.

But where is the fraud? I paid for the hotel room(s) and I did stay there for say 1 night and paid for any and all outstanding fees if any.

So as long as the cleaning lady doesnt clean the rooms I will be fine?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No need to even call about the key or to check out. But do call if you put the DND sign out.

However, should housekeeping enter the room and determine you are no longer there, you may be checked out early. Hanging the DND sign is not a solution either as many properties require a room inspection every few days to make sure everything is ok with the room (not trashed, missing furniture, or dead bodies).

This is asking a bit much to do six nights in three rooms. Any way you can break it up to no more than one or two nights at a time.
Thanks I think I can do two 3 nights, because I have to factor in transportation time/cost.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Make a Green Choice. You can turn down housekeeping and get 500 or 250 points (depending on the brand) for each day you're there - except the day of departure.
Thanks, I don't think its offer at Aloft but I will take it if its offer
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:24 pm

How is this fraud?? To me, as long as you check in and then call to check out it should be fine. I would personally chat with the manager and let them know what you are doing.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fraud??? How in the world is this possibly fraud - the OP is paying for the rooms, whether he sleeps there or not is none of the hotel's business, the only possible exception being the granting of elite benefits. In fact, when running very late I've had front desk clerks offer to check me in over the phone.

As for check-out, the only time I need to stop at the front desk to complete a check-out is in Asia - in the US/Canada, I just call the front desk that I'm leaving, or just call it out as I walk out the front door.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:29 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
There are many times I am in a rush and forget to check out. When I remember a few hours later, I just call and tell them that. They are happy to check me out.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
How is it fraud?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Are you sure that three rooms count for your Platinum challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.