Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in but not staying at the hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfong007
Is it the aloft foshan? If it is, let me know. I can stay a night for you
Yes it is, after rereading the status match at Grand Hyatt, I think I will give it a pass for now.

Real pain in the ... to get there from Hong Kong
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jkuok
Yes it is, after rereading the status match at Grand Hyatt, I think I will give it a pass for now.

Real pain in the ... to get there from Hong Kong
I just wanna say with a surname like yours, you'd think you wouldn't need to do mattress runs LOL

*joking*
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RogerD408
In fairness, it is against the spirit of the program where you are expected to spend the night and maybe spend more money...!
Why are you expected to spend the night?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I just wanna say with a surname like yours, you'd think you wouldn't need to do mattress runs LOL

*joking*
lol didn't know my surname has any special meaning except it sound strange and no one know how to pronounce it...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:32 am

lol didn't know my surname has any special meaning except it sound strange and no one know how to pronounce it...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kuok
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by clarkef
Why are you expected to spend the night?
Well the T&Cs actually state the three conditions to make a stay eligible:

SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in and stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays for the charges

So it depends on what your definition of "stay" is :P
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:50 am
Original Poster

haha I wish I was that rich, sadly we arent related

SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in and stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays for the charges

So whats SPG definition of a stay? I mean staying for a night out of 20 is a stay just as taking a bite out of a burger is tasting it
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So whats SPG definition of a stay? I mean staying for a night out of 20 is a stay just as taking a bite out of a burger is tasting it
Not to speak for SPG, but let's face it, the traditional definition is spending each night between check in and check out. Yes, some of us may work weird hours and those spent awake vs. asleep can be very different. And some may choose to use a hotel room for something other than sleeping (work or play). The loyalty programs try to carry those definitions over to apply for earning criteria. Not to turn this thread into a political debate, but this is just like other areas where religious definitions are used to determine government services when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.

We all have different definition of a comfortable bed or good food, yet we use those terms in our context regardless how others may use them. So just because the act of paying for a room could be construed as a stay, it may not for SPG. I believe the intent is to reward those actually staying in properties (and possibly spending money onsite), not the fact that you paid x $'s over a period of time.

As long as the rules are imprecise, bend them and twist them to your heart's content. Don't get too upset if they pull the program or close those loopholes.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've done plenty of mattress runs and it is not necessary to mess up the bed. It would not be very "green" to create unnecessary laundry.
If Housekeeping enters a rooms on check-out day and see that the room appears as though no one used it, they may report it. Thinking they made a mistake and accidentally checked in someone who wasn't there, the Front Desk may reverse the change.

Will that happen at many hotels? Certainly not. But, it's still a possibility. (That was how we handled the situation at both of the hotels in which I worked.)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:31 pm

I guess.

I see it differently. I read that as saying that the room is for your personal use, i.e. that you are exercising dominion and control (ok. a little legalese) as opposed to getting a room for someone else.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've done plenty of mattress runs and it is not necessary to mess up the bed. It would not be very "green" to create unnecessary laundry.
I hope they will always clean the room even if it does not looked used between guests.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I believe the intent is to reward those actually staying in properties (and possibly spending money onsite), not the fact that you paid x $'s over a period of time.
Yes. If it were only about the room revenue, you could just send in a check annually. Would be cheaper for the hotels, too, because they wouldn't have to service the room or take it out of inventory for your nights.

Originally Posted by PayItForward
I hope they will always clean the room even if it does not looked used between guests.
Easily a topic for its own thread!!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes. If it were only about the room revenue, you could just send in a check annually. Would be cheaper for the hotels, too, because they wouldn't have to service the room or take it out of inventory for your nights...
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Hotels and their owners are not your friends, buddies or lovers. They are businesses to make money. Loyalty programs are brilliant marketing programs designed to incentivize travelers to spend their travel dollars at one's hotel by "rewarding" large expenditures. But it seems somewhat gauche to come out and directly say that "we reward big spenders" so they devised a program to achieve that objective...albeit through the side door, i.e. more nights roughly translate to more money spent...all things being equal. It's not a one to one correlation, but it's close enough.

Consider, many chains provide status through other means such as co-branded credit cards which require little or no actual butts-in-beds nights to qualify. Better yet, some chains "reward" the guests with fewer points (Marriott properties especially). Why? The lack of ancillary revenue. No restaurant, room service, etc. at say, the Residence Inn. Even the 4 pts only gives 250 points as a plat amenity.

My favorite though is HHONORS which, much like airlines, threw away this pretense and permits status through expenditures. Spend 10K in one or many night and achieve Diamond Status.

Don't get me wrong. I am a happy recipient. I purposely chose Starwood hotels because the perks stretch my travel dollars. I will be staying at a Starwood this weekend. The free breakfast for 2 is a $44 nightly value to me.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:04 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"Stay" is undefined. Is it 12 hours, 6 hours, 2 minutes, etc. What if I went to my room, combed my hair, left for a meeting and did not get back until the next morning when I left for the airport immediately on my return? Did I ''stay"? I say yes. SPG got my $$$$
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Vulcan
"Stay" is undefined. Is it 12 hours, 6 hours, 2 minutes, etc. What if I went to my room, combed my hair, left for a meeting and did not get back until the next morning when I left for the airport immediately on my return? Did I ''stay"? I say yes. SPG got my $$$$
I would hate to see the T&Cs that would be required to cover every possible corner case. No one would have the time to read them all, let alone a property able to enforce them all. And no matter what, YMMV, as anything we say here is speculation at best, even if backed by experience. The same agent at the same property should do the same thing given the same situation, but there are many reports that some just don't.

We use terms that have generally accepted definitions. Particular circumstances can tweak those definitions. If you fry an egg, it would be considered breakfast, but if you put that same egg on a sandwich then it can be lunch or dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.