Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What should I do about this? [points earned with centrally-billed SPG Business Amex]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should I do about this? [points earned with centrally-billed SPG Business Amex]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:33 am
Original Poster

My two partners and I have a small company. I got us all SPG Business Amex cards. Since we were too small we couldn't get the corporate version, so the main account was under my name.

Now we have tons of SPG points and I feel they really belong to the three of us equally. But SPG will only let me share points with family members.

I *really* don't want to book hotels for them, basically like their travel agent.

I would prefer some way to just either give them the points or even convert the points somehow like to gift cards and give that to them.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by DonkeySandwich
My two partners and I have a small company. I got us all SPG Business Amex cards. Since we were too small we couldn't get the corporate version, so the main account was under my name.

Now we have tons of SPG points and I feel they really belong to the three of us equally. But SPG will only let me share points with family members.

I *really* don't want to book hotels for them, basically like their travel agent.

I would prefer some way to just either give them the points or even convert the points somehow like to gift cards and give that to them.

Any ideas?
The title is a bit misleading

What do you mean, "I got us all SPG Business Amex cards."?
Did only you apply for the card and made them authorized users? Or, did each of you apply for your own (3) individual AMEX card/account and link to each (3) individual accounts?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

The first. I believe it is what Amex told me to do in order to centralize our bill payments. There are a dozen people in our company with cards, just three owners.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, DonkeySandwich!

Any ideas?
If all the points are in your account, your only options are #1 (you book for them) or give them your password so they can book the awards themselves. It all boils down to how much you trust your partners...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The first. I believe it is what Amex told me to do in order to centralize our bill payments. There are a dozen people in our company with cards, just three owners.
This is why you ended up with all the points.

In order for each person to collect points for their hotels stays they would need an amex account and have it linked to their SPG account.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED

In order for each person to collect points for their hotels stays they would need an amex account and have it linked to their SPG account.
Thanks, I see how that works now.

But I still wonder what I should do now. What's the best way to parcel out this value?

Giving them my username and password is something I could do but it seems messy.

Can I convert all the SPG points to something else that is transferrable? Like buy them Starbucks gift cards and let them each buy 1,000 decaf lattes?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

It sounds like the cards were used for consumer spend and not just hotel stays. Hotel stay credit points/stay/nights should have gone to each of the owners' accounts given the OP may not have been present each and every time.

Consumer spend on authorized cards garner points that go to the primary card holder. Short of allowing each of them access to the online account to book future stays (best redemption value) or buy gift cards they would find useful.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Thanks, I see how that works now.

But I still wonder what I should do now. What's the best way to parcel out this value?

Giving them my username and password is something I could do but it seems messy.

Can I convert all the SPG points to something else that is transferrable? Like buy them Starbucks gift cards and let them each buy 1,000 decaf lattes?
You do have the option to do gift cards from SPG points. Not necessarily the best value for the points but it is an option. You can do cards for amazon, Starbucks, Nordstrom, iTunes, Williams-Sonoma, etc. It all depends how much "a ton of points" means as to whether this would be a feasible approach.

For example, for amazon, you can do a $150 gift card for 14,000 points. They also have smaller denominations and I imagine you can do several at a time.

Note that you can also do points straight into flights. So, if one of the recipients includes a family of four, a single booking of four air tickets + hotel can easily use up "a ton of point".
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks that's helpful. I think we have accumulated around a million points (they are mixed in with my own personal card account so I will have to do some accounting) so they are each due 200-300k to make it fair.

Is there any gift card option that is least wasteful, by Flyertalkers' reckoning?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
You'd probably be better off giving them cash or buying the gift cards yourself and using the points. That's what I would do anyway. Gift cards are almost always a terrible value.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
What should I do about this?

i believe if the addresses on the accounts are all the same you can transfer points between accounts. my wife does not have the same last name as I do and we transfer miles regularly.

TW
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
i believe if the addresses on the accounts are all the same you can transfer points between accounts.
Correct, but lying about your address in order to allow transfers would be fraud.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct, but lying about your address in order to allow transfers would be fraud.
I believe many people use the office address for their travel accounts. So if all the partners use the same address, it's not exactly fraud.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Well, how about having all address listed as the company address. Since you are all business owners, this should not be a problem and you now share the same address and it is the truth.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now that you have 12 people traveling, why not speak with an Amex corporate person and see about a proper corporate account and, if as part of that, they can't handle portioning out the points to the three partners.

Aside from the points, you really are taking a huge personal risk having the travel of 12 people in your own name, not to mention that if one of them goes off the reservation, you are personally on the hook for their spend. It's just bad business.

If Amex won't do this, there are other cards. The points should not be driving what is a bad and risky business practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.