Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sorry to inform you that you have been "bumped"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Earlier this week my colleague received a call from the Westin, Washington DC: "You know that reservation you made 2 months ago?" Well it turns out that we are now overbooked, so we would like to bump you to the Sheraton Bethesda."

Needless to say, she was less than pleased, and told them to look for another candidate to bump. At this point, the outcome is still unclear.

Has anybody encountered this situation before? How did you handle it? I know people are occasionally walked when a hotel checks in full, but I have never heard of this happening a month before the check-in date.

In this case, it is rather obvious that Westin is targetting the individual with a corporate rate that - while not cheap - is still below what they can get from another patron.

IMO, the proper course of action would be to bump the most recent reservation. Failing that, I think Westin should offer pay the difference to put her up at an adjacent property (of which there are many) rather than an inferior SPG property in the 'burbs. It is not as if all the hotels in town are sold out for a convention.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 8:56 pm

Location: In a res office, in a Starwood hotel, in a city you have probably been to, in the good ol' USA
Looks like the hotel goofed in a convention contract and is oversold. They are now scrambling to find guests not affiliated with the group to send elsewhere in order to honor the group contract. Also, that group rate is likely LESS than the corporate rate your colleague has.

Someone messed up inventory of the hotel for any number of reasons. A hotel would not step on toes of a couple of individual travelers in this situation. It would be a bunch. So I would think the hotel did go after recent reservations and any other individuals over the group dates.

While a messy situation, the hotel would rather fess up to the mistake and give warning ahead of time to a traveler than just sending the individual elsewhere the night of arrival. I don’t blame your friend for being upset, though.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:19 pm
Suspended

what are they offering in terms of compensation?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:51 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
which weeks are involved as I return to Washington starting next week with reservations at the Westin Embassy ROW... ???

------------------
AA member since 1981. Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....

[This message has been edited by TxLobo (edited 09-01-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
what are they offering in terms of compensation? </font>
zippo.

again, this is a situation that could be more easily resolved with a better explanation. example:

"i'm sorry, miss X, but it turns out that the president of gambia will be staying here that night and we need to block off an entire floor for security reasons. would you consider staying at ___? we'll be happy to upgrade you..."
Old Aug 28, 2003, 1:26 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I'm curious as to which Westin this is? Embassy Row or Grand?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:28 am

Programs: UA *G
They should compensate you or put you in a nicer hotel like the airline's. It was their mistake. You paid for Westin, you should get Westin. Or a Suite at Sheraton (worst case)
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:52 am
Suspended

i wouldn't move without compensation. and, if i wasn't satisfied with the compensation, i wouldn't move.

if your company is paying for the trip, then a free night at the other hotel is worthless. in that situation, i would request a reasonable number of points.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 9:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
Earlier this week my colleague received a call from the Westin, Washington DC: "You know that reservation you made 2 months ago?" Well it turns out that we are now overbooked, so we would like to bump you to the Sheraton Bethesda. </font>
Also... from either of the Westin's, Bethesda is a ways to get to, by car or metro. Mapquest says approx 7 miles (~20 min) from the Sheraton to the Grand. BTW it's a Four Points...not a "Sheraton"

FYI... had a room at the Hyatt Arlington, they had the same situation... Called me and offered the Park Hyatt for the same rate ($75)... now that I could live with

[This message has been edited by thezipper (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Histrionics. you babies.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
Earlier this week my colleague received a call from the Westin, Washington DC: "You know that reservation you made 2 months ago?" Well it turns out that we are now overbooked, so we would like to bump you to the Sheraton Bethesda."

</font>
Does you coworker have status with SPG? I'm wondering if that may have influenced their decision?

Old Aug 28, 2003, 3:33 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoSoxFan45:
Histrionics. you babies. </font>
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kluau88:
I'm curious as to which Westin this is? Embassy Row or Grand?</font>
The two hotels are related Bruce Sorensen handles Marketing for both of them and they routinely move guests between the two hotels when allowed.

bruce's email if it would help, is [email protected]

------------------
AA member since 1981. Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:52 pm

edited for duplication

[This message has been edited by TxLobo (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 8:26 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
When I was told (on the day of arrival) that they did not have a room, they gave me my "walking papers" and comped me at the new hotel. It was my understanding that this is a Starwood policy. In my case, it happened twice at the Philadelphia Airport Sheraton Suites where they wanted to move me to the Four Points right next door. This was unacceptable to me and I requested to be sent free of charge to the Westin Philadelphia, which was previously a St. Regis. Your confirmed reservation is actually a contract between you and the hotel. If you failed to show up, you would be charged for the night. Thus, if they fail to provide you with a room, despite the advance notice, the hotel has the obligation to provide you with an acceptable alternative at their expense. Perhaps we should see what William has to say on the subject.

[This message has been edited by RunawayNFly (edited 08-28-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.