FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 2, 17, 12:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 10, 09, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Originally Posted by GordonGordon View Post
booked 3 rooms at the same period of time for 4 nights at the same hotel. Do I get 12 qualifying nights and 3 qualifying stays?
By SPG rules, 1 stay and 4 nights.
Old Jan 14, 10, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Hyatt Platinum
Do two-room stays count as 2x nights/stays toward elite?

Lately when I travel with the family, we'll get two attached rooms, one for my wife and me and one for our young kids. My question: if we do this, and stay two nights at (say) a Sheraton or Westin during a weekend family getaway -- does that earn me only 1 stay and 2 nights, or 2 stays and 4 nights, toward elite status?

I've read the terms and conditions, which do not seem to shed any light on this question. I'm also aware that there may be specific limitations with regard to promotions (e.g., so that in the above it might only count as 1 stay and 2 nights for purposes of the "More Nights = More Rewards" Promo, even if the treatment is different for other purposes). I am specifically interested here solely in whether the "additional" stay and the "additional" nights (for the second room) count towards the 10/25 stay and 25/50 night thresholds for Gold and Platinum SPG status.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old Jan 14, 10, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA gold - AZ freccia alata - FB gold - SPG platinum - HH gold - AMEX various
Originally Posted by CTFlyer View Post
Lately when I travel with the family, we'll get two attached rooms, one for my wife and me and one for our young kids. My question: if we do this, and stay two nights at (say) a Sheraton or Westin during a weekend family getaway -- does that earn me only 1 stay and 2 nights, or 2 stays and 4 nights, toward elite status?

I've read the terms and conditions, which do not seem to shed any light on this question. I'm also aware that there may be specific limitations with regard to promotions (e.g., so that in the above it might only count as 1 stay and 2 nights for purposes of the "More Nights = More Rewards" Promo, even if the treatment is different for other purposes). I am specifically interested here solely in whether the "additional" stay and the "additional" nights (for the second room) count towards the 10/25 stay and 25/50 night thresholds for Gold and Platinum SPG status.

1 stay and 2 nights
Old Jan 14, 10, 3:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat Amb, A3*G, National Exec

Hey,

You can earn points for up to 3 additional rooms, however for stay/night credit purposes only the first room will count. So you will recieve points for both rooms and only 2 Night/1 Stay credit.

5.5. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges incurred and paid by you for up to three rooms during the same stay (your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name, you stay in one of the rooms, and you personally settle all room charges upon check-out. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...spg_terms.html
Old Jan 14, 10, 4:00 pm

Your answer is NO

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

If SPG do post a multiple stay , in error, it can be corrected in an audit.
Old Jan 15, 10, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks!

You guys are the best! Been lurking here at FT for about a year, finally got around to registering in order to ask this SPG question - wasn't expecting quite such prompt responses. Thanks again, all!
Old Jan 15, 10, 9:25 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond ( Thank Amex) Hyatt Discov
You guys are the best! Been lurking here at FT for about a year, finally got around to registering in order to ask this SPG question - wasn't expecting quite such prompt responses. Thanks again, all!
Get your wife signed up for SPG too, and book one room in her name.
At present, there is a direct SPG Gold 1000 points per night promotion going on, do a search on this forum, and ask one of the guys who has the targetted email to sign up your wife for this great promo.
Old Jan 19, 10, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
hey lurkers....my apologies if this question has been asked before....as a plat, if i book 2 rooms under my name & i settle the bill at checkout, would i get the platinum amenity points for both rooms or just one????
Old Jan 19, 10, 2:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by saad View Post
hey lurkers....my apologies if this question has been asked before....as a plat, if i book 2 rooms under my name & i settle the bill at checkout, would i get the platinum amenity points for both rooms or just one????
Hi saad,

You will get Platinum amenity points for just one room.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jan 19, 10, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II View Post
Hi saad,

You will get Platinum amenity points for just one room.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
thanks thyetus....at a recent stay the hotel gave me 2 plat amenity cards to fill since i had booked 2 rooms....this is the first time i had been presented with 2 cards....just found it strange....
Old Jul 8, 10, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Two hotels, same date -points for $$ spent in both?

I had plans to be in Puerto Rico for several days last weekend and this week and thought I'd do some hopping for the FWN promo (Sheraton San Juan 2 nights, Sheraton Old San Juan 1 night, then back to SSJ for 2 nights).
On the second night of my stay (while at SSJ (Sunday)) I was notified of a family emergency (death) and had to rush to NC. I was only able to get a last minute flight for late Monday afternoon. I already had a pre-paid reservation at SOSJ for Monday night, so I went over that morning, checked in, stayed for a few hours (walked around, had lunch, went up to the pool for an hour or so, and showered) before heading to the airport. (When I checked in I told the FD agent that I would only be staying a few hours.)

I arrived at RDU Monday night, and checked into the Raleigh/Cary Four Points shortly before midnight.

I received points and stay credit for my 4Points stay, but received nothing for the SOSJ stay. I did NOT expect stay credit or night credit for the SOSJ stay, but I thought I would have received points based on $$ spent.

The PC today told me no, I could only get points from one hotel per day. I mentioned that I thought this would have been similar to dining in an SPG restaurant, where I would get points only based on the $$ spent but with no stay/night credit. I was told absolutely not, the last hotel I checked in with for the day would be the only property where I would receive points.

I had also booked SOSJ while the call center was busy, so I wasn't sure whether or not I would still receive the 500pt bonus for that stay (I did not). That wasn't a complete surprise, but I still thought I should get point credit for $$ spent.

Does this sound right?
Old Jul 8, 10, 4:00 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TCnSanDiegoCA View Post
...Does this sound right?
If you have a hotel bill for the $$ spent in question, this would be a good use of the [email protected] email address, IMHO. Give your side of the story, attach the hotel bill, tell them what you expected, and let them do the research.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 8, 10, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
If you have a hotel bill for the $$ spent in question, this would be a good use of the [email protected] email address, IMHO. Give your side of the story, attach the hotel bill, tell them what you expected, and let them do the research.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thanks! I had hotel bill emailed to me, so I'll forward it now.
Old Jul 14, 10, 8:27 pm

I'm pleased to report that today points posted in my account for the $$ spent as well as the CCC-On Hold bonus for my stay at Sheraton Old San Juan.

I thought the 500 platinum amenity points would also post since other alternate platinum amenities are frequently offered on check-in. Perhaps they'll post later, perhaps not...

Still, that's almost 1000 points I would not have received without asking for them. Thanks William for your help.
Old Jul 14, 10, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Some situations are negotiable

I recently set up a quickly convened conference at a Starwood hotel.
22 people staying for between 4 and 7 nights each.
Rooms no problem and quickly did a deal with the GM that satisfied all parties.
Picked up a nice Starpoint bonus as well
We paid a good rate and were well looked after!

Search this Thread