Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:51 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Is anyone able to give me a definitive answer on this?

I am going to be staying at the Sheraton Lisboa from 5th-19th April, however, I will only be teaching my surgical procedure in the city on a few days, so I will take stays in between at other hotels in order to visit family and friends: one night at Pine Cliffs Albufeira, one night at Le Meridien Penina, one night at Sheraton Oporto and two nights at Westin Camporeal.

I will not be giving up the rooms at Lisboa during the stay as they will be set up for my work there.

Clearly, I will have 5 nights not spent at Sheraton Lisboa, however, I will have 5 stays (irrespective of nights awarded) in total with 14 nights in total at these 5 hotels. Will I be credited with 5 stays, or will "computer say no?" Does anyone know?........or will I just have to wait and see?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:25 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Is anyone able to give me a definitive answer on this?

I am going to be staying at the Sheraton Lisboa from 5th-19th April, however, I will only be teaching my surgical procedure in the city on a few days, so I will take stays in between at other hotels in order to visit family and friends: one night at Pine Cliffs Albufeira, one night at Le Meridien Penina, one night at Sheraton Oporto and two nights at Westin Camporeal.

I will not be giving up the rooms at Lisboa during the stay as they will be set up for my work there.

Clearly, I will have 5 nights not spent at Sheraton Lisboa, however, I will have 5 stays (irrespective of nights awarded) in total with 14 nights in total at these 5 hotels. Will I be credited with 5 stays, or will "computer say no?" Does anyone know?........or will I just have to wait and see?
Ok. If I am getting this right and not confused:

Staying at Sheraton Lisboa April 5 to 19
During this period, 4 other properties as well.

Officially, you will only get 1 stay as the program does not allow you to be staying at two properties at the same time.

However, YMMV.

[email protected]
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:30 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Ok. If I am getting this right and not confused:

Staying at Sheraton Lisboa April 5 to 19
During this period, 4 other properties as well.

Officially, you will only get 1 stay as the program does not allow you to be staying at two properties at the same time.

However, YMMV.

[email protected]

'Tis a shame, but what can one do.....I can't complain if those are the rules. Thanks for letting me know though! It is much appreciated!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Platinum benifits for friends/family??? Club lounge access

I have a few couples heading to Seattle in Aug. We're all going to a concert and my husband and I will be staying at the Sheraton.

If I was to book 2 or 3 more rooms under my name and we all check in together are there any possibilities my friends, staying in the other rooms, might be upgraded as well (if available) or at least might they also get club lounge access?

My husband and I were in Seattle at the Sheraton last month and were greatly surprised with an Executive Suite upgrade. .. i'm not so much looking for any major upgrades but it would be nice if we could all have club lounge access (if all the rooms are booked by me through my account.

Anyone have information on this? Or is the platinum benifits only good for me and people directly staying in MY room?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 9, 2009 at 11:09 pm Reason: Merged into relevant FAQ
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Officially only the room with the member are entitled to an upgrade/club privileges. However, there have been reported cases in which the club access and even an upgrade were given to another room which was on the same reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
thanks after posting i kept digging. . the search tool was returning too much but was able to use advance search and found a FAQ thread on this exact subject. Interesting read.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Ive booked a few rooms in my name before. I checked in for all the rooms and they were all on the club floor, which got everyone in. They used their own keys to get in.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
What is the maximum number of rooms you can get points for in one hotel?

A few friends and their companions are coming away with us for a break.

They have allowed me to accumulate the points from their rooms and have given me permission to add my SPG number to their reservation (and my name if it helps).

We are all staying for the exact same number of days - how many rooms will I be able to get points for?

Will I get stay credit and nights credit for just 1 of the stays or for all 5+ rooms?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm Reason: Merged into FAQ discussing topic
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:09 pm

Starpoints can only be earned for amounts actually paid with respect to Eligible Charges. Starpoints cannot be earned in conjunction with complimentary, barter or award stays. Starpoints can be earned for eligible incidental charges paid for during these stays. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges up to three rooms (i.e., your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name and you personally settle all room charges upon checkout. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one "stay" in order to earn elite levels of membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions. Starpoints can be earned on charges for no-shows and early departure fees, less taxes and service charges; however, these earnings will not count as a "stay" in order to earn elite levels of membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Multiple Rooms - 1 paid and 1 or more on award

I didn't see this earlier in the thread but can I assume that I will still earn 1 stay and 2 nights credit for a single stay of 2 nights that comprises of one room on an eligible paid rate and one (or more rooms) on award? Or must all the rooms on that stay be on an eligible paid rate for me to qualify for any stay/night credit in the first instance?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
I didn't see this earlier in the thread but can I assume that I will still earn 1 stay and 2 nights credit for a single stay of 2 nights that comprises of one room on an eligible paid rate and one (or more rooms) on award? Or must all the rooms on that stay be on an eligible paid rate for me to qualify for any stay/night credit in the first instance?
No. Awards stays (points or cash and points) do not count toward elite status.

You, should receive one night/one stay credit to your SPG account. You will earn points on all incidental charges to the room for both nights.
Old May 30, 2009, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomT
I think it is pure luck!! I have been given two 500's, up grade both parties and recieved the points for both rooms........then I have gotten my upgrade, 500 and nothing for other party...and ...have got a mix of all including creit for stays....so......good luck
How many
a) stay credits
b) platinum benefits (e.g. the 500 points)
would give me this:

Night 1, room 1: www.spg.com
Night 1, room 2: www.spg.com

Night 2, room 1: expedia.com
Night 2, room 2: expedia.com

Night 3, room 1: www.spg.com
Night 3, room 2: www.spg.com

My belief is:
1. Room upgrade for one room for all three nights
2. Platinum benefits one time only
3. 2 night credits and two stay credits
4. BRG 2,500 points 1 x for night 1 and 1 x for night 3

PS: Nissan Motor is the main guest in both rooms.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nissan motor
How many
a) stay credits
b) platinum benefits (e.g. the 500 points)
would give me this:
If the nights are sequential, you should receive one stay credit and one Platinum Welcome Amenity (assuming it is a benefit option of the hotel you're staying at).

How can you be the "main guest in both rooms" on the same night? Actually, however you might see that, SPG rules allow you credit for a maximum of one stay, in one room, per night.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Ok here is a niche question. I just read these last 4 pages and I think something like 10x's did people ask the same question. Amazing it isn't like this thread is 100 pages. I have a good handle on the T and C's I think however here is the scenario.

1. I will be attending to business on one side of town and will get an early check in with some associates and stay in that hotel working on business until the late afternoon and we will ALL check out in the late afternoon with me paying for all 3 rooms. I have 3 rooms booked under my name (as I know that is the max to get *woods points, and I only expect 1 stay from this).
Thus we will only being staying for like 8 hours or so, and have negotiated a 1/2 day rate. My question is since I have negotiated a 1/2 day rate and will this jeopardize the stay credit, or points earned (other than it will be 1/2 the points since I'm paying less $).

2. I will then go across town and check into a different hotel for a wedding reception that is held there that evening and my sister is a bridesmaid and I told her I would get her a hotel room for her to perpare herself and get dressed during this 6 hour period of primping and freshing up etc. Thus this is hotel #2 and I will check out of this hotel after the reception at about 11pm or so. I have also negotiated a 1/2 day rate for this property. Same question as #1 in regards to stay credit.

3. I'm going to be staying the night in yet a 3rd hotel for the night and have 3 rooms booked for myself and family, but we won't check in until after the reception (long story for it is out of the way sort of). We will stay the night and the next few days.

Thus I'm checking in and out of 3 different hotels on the same day but there is no time when I'm actually registered in 2 hotels at the same time.

Question 1-will I get 3 stays for this?

Question 2-does the 1/2 day rate affect my ability to accrue stays and if so if I change it to the full day stay rate would I get stay credit?

Question 3-Does having a reservation in the books for 3 different hotels for the same day complicate the earnings of my stays posting? Meaning should I book 1 of the hotels before hand, and do a walk in reservation on the other 2?

I know William has posted this in the past but wanted to ask this question in my scenario to make sure I know what to expect.

" A stay is defined as one or more paid consecutive nights at a participating Starwood Hotel or Resort. However, recognizing that there are day rates out there where a member stays at a hotel, but does not stay the whole night, we count day rates as a stay, but do not give night credit. So, it will be counted as one stay with zero nights."

I know this is a very unqiue situation, but it just so happens the hotels are all starwoods and I don't have any status. Thus this will definitely give me a good head start on this program's status. Thanks

Last edited by schley; Jul 6, 2009 at 1:42 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi schley,

Interesting questions.

Originally Posted by schley
Question 1-will I get 3 stays for this?
Let me get back to you on this. I would need to get the official answer.

Question 2-does the 1/2 day rate affect my ability to accrue stays and if so if I change it to the full day stay rate would I get stay credit? Or "my question is since I have negotiated a 1/2 day rate and will this jeopardize the stay credit, or points earned (other than it will be 1/2 the points since I'm paying less $)"?
Officially, a reservation made on an eligible day rate will gain a stay credit(but not credit) and relevant starpoints based on eligible charges.

Question 3-Does having a reservation in the books for 3 different hotels for the same day complicate the earnings of my stays posting? Meaning should I book 1 of the hotels before hand, and do a walk in reservation on the other 2?
Firstly, I would have to answer if staying at different properties at the same day using "day rates only" or "day and night rates combo" is allowed. Shall provide an update soon.

Next, regardless if your reservation is made via the property during check-in or through Call center/Starwood Website, stay credits and Starpoints will only be processed only after its payment(to the hotel) is made.

Will keep this thread in view for more updates.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.