Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Are 2Q rooms always priced much higher than 1K rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond

Hi all, somewhat new to SPG and am noticing that at almost every property I view the rates for the 2 bedded rooms are much higher than the rates for the King rooms. I am travelling with a colleague and am not looking to share a bed. Can I book the less expensive King room and ask for a 2Q or 2D when I arrive? IME with other brands the prices are typically the same regardless of the bed configuration. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mrsjon01
Hi all, somewhat new to SPG and am noticing that at almost every property I view the rates for the 2 bedded rooms are much higher than the rates for the King rooms. I am travelling with a colleague and am not looking to share a bed. Can I book the less expensive King room and ask for a 2Q or 2D when I arrive?
Yes

IME with other brands the prices are typically the same regardless of the bed configuration. Thanks!
Depends on the individual property.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Are you comfortable with the possibility of having to share a king bed should the hotel be sold out. If you and your colleague are then it's a reasonable risk. If not, then I would say book the two queen beds.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why not just book two rooms for two unrelated adults? Sorry, but there us no reason you should have to share a room. Remind your employer of the potential liability.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is certainly not universal. At most properties, 1K is the same price as 2D, and at some, 1K is more expensive than 2D, too.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I stay in some places where it's apparently driven very much by yield management: sometimes 1K is cheaper, sometimes the rates are the same, and sometimes 2Q is cheaper. This seems to be a new phenomenon. I've also seen front desk agents refuse to give customers (including elites) the bedding type wanted (which is available at check in) unless you're willing to pay the price difference.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems to be a new phenomenon.
If by "new" you mean in the past ten years, I'll agree. I've seen it for at least that long.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If by "new" you mean in the past ten years, I'll agree. I've seen it for at least that long.
I've never noticed it fluctuating dynamically until the last year.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mrsjon01
IME with other brands the prices are typically the same regardless of the bed configuration.
This sort of thing is more about location than brand. In places like Orlando, two-bedded rooms are sometimes more expensive because they are in high demand from families. Conversely, downtown business hotels might price king-bedded rooms higher because they are generally more desirable to individuals traveling for work.

Also, the two-bed rooms at some hotels are slightly larger, which usually means a modest increase in price.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems to be a new phenomenon.
Some hotels were engaging in this practice when I was Revenue Manager twenty years ago. It's nothing new.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Interesting - I always book 2Q for family travel and don't recall ever seeing a different price for the same room type.

Originally Posted by pewpew
Yes
To be clear - "Yes", you can ask. You can also ask for the Presidential Suite when you arrive. That doesn't mean you'll get either one, though different bedding is more likely. But if you can't stay in the room with 1K, I'd advise not booking 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.