FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Would you be bothered if your Gold friend got a better room than you as a Platinum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1734786-would-you-bothered-if-your-gold-friend-got-better-room-than-you-platinum.html)

coltonatx Dec 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Would you be bothered if your Gold friend got a better room than you as a Platinum?

I know this is rather silly, but I have an upcoming stay at Le Meridien in BCN for NYE. I submitted SNA requests & even contacted the reservations manager directly, but I was told that being high season, they couldn't confirm a suite upgrade.

My best friend arrived BCN 36 hours before me to BCN, and upon check-in, he was upgraded to a Mediterranean suite when he's just a Gold member (which is technically not entitled to such upgrades). I am stuck in a standard room. Would this bother you?

CodeAdam10 Dec 28, 2015 1:47 pm

He got upgraded at check in. Happens.

Yes, this is silly.

satman40 Dec 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Had it happen, till you are there, you are a bird in the bush,

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 25926650)
I know this is rather silly, but I have an upcoming stay at Le Meridien in BCN for NYE. I submitted SNA requests & even contacted the reservations manager directly, but I was told that being high season, they couldn't confirm a suite upgrade.

My best friend arrived BCN 36 hours before me to BCN, and upon check-in, he was upgraded to a Mediterranean suite when he's just a Gold member (which is technically not entitled to such upgrades). I am stuck in a standard room. Would this bother you?

This darn near a daily discussion on this forum. I expect a myriad of comments.

Yes, I would be pissed, but there is more to the situation than what you describe. You friend arrived 3 days before you, so there will be different inventory. When is he checking out? My experience is that many properties are very light the 3 days before NYE.

It is possible the property, in question, went above and beyond the Gold Published benefits because a suite was available the entire length of his stay. Did he pay for an upgrade? Did he use points for an instant upgrade at check in?

Can the same be said for your stay, on the date you checked in? Since we don't have access to inventory, I'm going to guess, no.

As always, this is a deeper situation than just, "someone received a suite with lower elite credentials that me".

coltonatx Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 25927079)
Quote:

Originally Posted by coltonatx

This darn near a daily discussion on this forum. I expect a myriad of comments.

Yes, I would be pissed, but there is more to the situation than what you describe. You friend arrived 3 days before you, so there will be different inventory. When is he checking out? My experience is that many properties are very light the 3 days before NYE.

It is possible the property, in question, went above and beyond the Gold Published benefits because a suite was available the entire length of his stay. Did he pay for an upgrade? Did he use points for an instant upgrade at check in?

Can the same be said for your stay, on the date you checked in? Since we don't have access to inventory, I'm going to guess, no.

As always, this is a deeper situation than just, "someone received a suite with lower elite credentials that me".

He arrived two nights before me.

The manager told me there was no inventory to upgrade.

He didn't pay for the upgrade.

We are checking out the same day.

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 25927086)

Then what is your real question/concern? ;) ;) ;)

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 25926650)

This is darn near a daily discussion on this, and many other FT Hotel forums.

Again, this is a deeper situation than just, "someone received a suite with lower elite credentials that me". Also, calling the hotel in advance to beg/request an upgrade always tickles me. Just use points to get the room you want. However, the reservations manager probably couldn't help and the revenue manager has the last call.

coltonatx Dec 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 25927090)
Quote:

Then what is your question?

Why wouldn't manager confirm the suite upgrade for a MUCH higher SPG paying customer instead of someone who gets it for having an AMEX CC?

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 25927094)
Why wouldn't manager confirm the suite upgrade for a MUCH higher SPG paying customer instead of someone who gets it for having an AMEX CC?

Considering there are so many variables, one I mention above, I nor any regular forumer here will be able to answer your question with 100% certainty!

I will guess that on your night of check-in until you check-out, suites are PAID FOR, so they cannot upgrade you.

coltonatx Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 25927126)
Quote:

Considering there are so many variables, one I mention above, I nor any regular forumer here will be able to answer your question with 100% certainty!

I will guess that on your night of check-in until you check-out, suites are PAID FOR, so they cannot upgrade you.

I can tell you my friend didn't pay for that upgrade bc I asked. That's what pisses me off. He got it 'complimentarily' even though I submitted SNAs.

I guess I didn't clarify we are staying at the same hotel for 2 nights. We both check out on the same date.

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 25927154)
I can tell you my friend didn't pay for that upgrade bc I asked. That's what pisses me off. He got it 'complimentarily' even though I submitted SNAs.

Your situations are not the same. You're checking in on different days which means there is different inventory. Do you understand that? Like snowflakes, no two check-ins are the same.

SEA1K4EVR Dec 28, 2015 3:28 pm

It is still possible you'll be upgraded at or before checkin...but since you requested a SNA it is odd if you were denied and it was given for free to a Gold...unless there was absolutely nothing else to give your friend at the time he arrived. Oh well.. you're going on a fun trip for the holiday... try to enjoy yourself, and Happy New Year!

pugsley21 Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

1. Yes this is silly.
2. You have 2 different situations considering the check in dates.
3. It is a hotel room for God sake, if it were a home you are going to live in, then get mad.

P.S. This happened to me in Las Vegas before. My friend arrived the day before and got an upgrade. I arrived the day after and asked about my upgrade and was told there was no inventory. Oh well, we still had fun and we are still friends!

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Ahhh.....more information. As I said earlier, there is more to this than just a Gold getting an upgrade

Starwood Refusing to Honor Award Night (for 31 Dec with award expiring 31 Dec)

KENNECTED Dec 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by pugsley21 (Post 25927196)
1. Yes this is silly.
2. You have 2 different situations considering the check in dates.
3. It is a hotel room for God sake, if it were a home you are going to live in, then get mad.

P.S. This happened to me in Las Vegas before. My friend arrived the day before and got an upgrade. I arrived the day after and asked about my upgrade and was told there was no inventory. Oh well, we still had fun and we are still friends!

Exactly. coltonatx should hang out in his "best friends" suite! There are more ways to skin a cat.

See if the property has a connection room to the parlor portion of the suite.

coltonatx Dec 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 25927208)
Ahhh.....more information. As I said earlier, there is more to this than just a Gold getting an upgrade

Starwood Refusing to Honor Award Night (for 31 Dec with award expiring 31 Dec)

Wait! Are you saying I should be thankful i have a room with an earned certificate given to me by Starwood?

I guess it is completely pointless to stay 50+ nights / year with Starwood when their loyalty and benefits go this far.

As far as know, SNA were applicable to this reservation . If hotel chains don't want loyalty benefits, don't offer such! I guess the lesson is to keep an AMEX CC instead of spending money with them every other week.