FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Promo : 2,500 bonus Starpoints for one Keyless stay which is paid with Amex (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1726793-promo-2-500-bonus-starpoints-one-keyless-stay-paid-amex.html)

drvannostren Nov 24, 2015 8:39 am

Promo : 2,500 bonus Starpoints for one Keyless stay which is paid with Amex

Folks, this doesn't appear to be targeted to me other than the fact I've signed up for their emails but here it is. I thought it's pretty great if you've already got a stay either planned or a trip planned where you can involve a stay. Going out of your way to do this...ehh not so much.

http://www.spgpromos.com/amexkeyless...language=en_US

Here's the basics. You've got to have a "registered Amex" AND use Starwood keyless, which means you need to have certain mobile phones. I've recently signed up for Apple Pay in Canada and attached my Starwood Amex (as it only works with Amex and I'm getting rid of my Amex Gold) in Canada. I'm guessing that's why I got targeted, glad I did though because I'll take advantage of this.

Assuming you meet those 2 requisites earn 2,500 Starpoints by registering, booking a stay at Keyless W (I found searching those hard), Aloft or Element (both much easier and cheaper) AND pay using that registered Amex, then it says "use SPG keyless during your stay". I'm not sure that part is compulsory but I wanna try it anyway so that's no biggie. All between Nov 20 - Feb 29.

Reading the T/C the qualifying stays just have to be Starpoint earning stays at those properties, seemingly worldwide (I say no restrictions on where) and it can be as short as 1 night.

May be very easy for you guys in the US, I checked my upcoming trips and found not great coverage by any of these hotels in HKG, Colombia, Japan, Philippines and Chile. I was gonna snag one in NYC for my 10 hour overnight layover, but to go from JFK to manhattan only to go back to JFK didn't seem prudent.

I did however find Aloft Bogota Airport...$43 USD in early Jan. I guess the business hotels in Colombia don't get lots of business during Christmas (makes sense since half the country seems to slow to a crawl) but almost all of Dec-Jan was on offer between $43-60 USD which I thought was pretty good. Just waiting for my plane ticket to get finalized and I'll have my 1 night booked. Pretty easy 2500 points and as you all know with their good transfer values this is better than any Aeroplan promo I've seen come up.

Sorry if this is a repost, I scanned the board and didn't see it, thought us newer iPhone users would find this to be decent. Again it's a fairly specific promo, but even if you don't use the Apple Pay you can just "register" your phone/Amex in the SPG app I believe, if you wanted I'm sure you could just unregister after you get the points as well.

Enjoy!

pbiflyer Nov 24, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks, it let me register. Have a couple stays, so this is perfect.

phbl Nov 24, 2015 10:52 am

there was a promo like this in mid-sep 2015 that gave 500spg for using keyless for the first time.

either way i was able to register for this. thanks!

JordanYVR Nov 24, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by phbl (Post 25765701)
there was a promo like this in mid-sep 2015 that gave 500spg for using keyless for the first time.

either way i was able to register for this. thanks!

Yes, I took advantage of that one as well (although it wasn't tied to Amex). I was also able to register for this one.

I have a stay at a W this weekend but planned to use a US Visa instead of my Canadian AMEX (due to poor conversion). Looks like I'll need to find a different stay to try this out on.

drvannostren Nov 24, 2015 2:54 pm

If I may ask, with keyless entry + mobile check in...the idea is to skip the front desk on arrival right? That's my "ultimate" hotel goal. To just know my room number, and breeze right past them. Technology is amazing :). Skipping that line, foregoing the awkward partial English conversation if you're abroad. It all sounds great!

It might be a dumb question, but I ask because last week I checked in online for a Marriott. Pointless. The only thing it did was let them know not to give my room away I suppose. The check-in was super fast, but she still needed my card on file for incidentals, needed to give me a room key, and sign off on the pre-arrival bill cuz I was using points. So I really questioned what the purpose of online check-in was.

PremEx Nov 24, 2015 3:30 pm

This offer terms require a "registered American Express® Credit or Charge Card". Just what does "registered" mean? Does it mean I have to load my (non-Starwood) AMEX into my Starwood profile and that registers it?

I ask because I hate storing any of my credit card numbers on any web site these days, preferring to enter them manually each time.

JordanYVR Nov 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25767077)
If I may ask, with keyless entry + mobile check in...the idea is to skip the front desk on arrival right? That's my "ultimate" hotel goal. To just know my room number, and breeze right past them. Technology is amazing :). Skipping that line, foregoing the awkward partial English conversation if you're abroad. It all sounds great!

That's what it is supposed to do. You receive a push notification on the day of arrival with your room key, and then go straight to the room and use your phone to open the door.

It didn't work for me (aLoft Denver) as I never received the push notification. I had to check-in, then update the app, and then I could use my phone to open the door.

Patius Nov 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by PremEx (Post 25767274)
This offer terms require a "registered American Express® Credit or Charge Card". Just what does "registered" mean? Does it mean I have to load my (non-Starwood) AMEX into my Starwood profile and that registers it?

I ask because I hate storing any of my credit card numbers on any web site these days, preferring to enter them manually each time.

yeap, it means the credit card on file

TravelinSperry Nov 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Unlikely to find one of these keyless locations... but registered just in case. thanks!

tfong007 Nov 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you for this. I have just the hotel to use this at.

okrogius Nov 25, 2015 12:53 am

https://www.spgpromos.com/keyless/?a...sPromo_Ann_ENG has a list of supported hotels.

Great promo :).

solewalker Nov 25, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks, OP! Great find!

Lappe Nov 25, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks drvannostren! I did not receive the email, but was able to register - and have a stay in a regular Keyless property during the period!

BTW: the Aloft Bogota hotel shuttle runs from departures level - take the escalator up right after exiting customs and you should be at about the right spot.

drvannostren Nov 25, 2015 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Lappe (Post 25769754)
Thanks drvannostren! I did not receive the email, but was able to register - and have a stay in a regular Keyless property during the period!

BTW: the Aloft Bogota hotel shuttle runs from departures level - take the escalator up right after exiting customs and you should be at about the right spot.

Brilliant! Thanks bud. I'm sure I would've found it, but this saves me the effort :) I ended up paying a bit more than I though, I always forget taxes aren't included in the room rate and I THINK they've charged me the 16% Colombia VAT which I think is only for residents, but still $53.59 USD isn't bad at all. Now that's like double what I'd usually pay for a hotel in Colombia (I stay at cheeeeeeeeap places) but this is totally reasonable and I only need to complete 1 night.

Originally Posted by okrogius (Post 25769025)
https://www.spgpromos.com/keyless/?a...sPromo_Ann_ENG has a list of supported hotels.

Great promo :).

Awesome, I never saw there was this list.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 25768314)
Unlikely to find one of these keyless locations... but registered just in case. thanks!

See above for the list if you haven't yet...that being said, in the promo from what I read it seemed ANY Aloft or ANY Element hotel applied, or a Keyless W. Did I read that wrong and just get lucky? That list doesn't seem like a complete list of Alofts or maybe I'm just skimming it too fast.

Also thanks to the mods, this title is way better haha.

pageboy Nov 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Saw this thread while at the Aloft Dallas/ Las Colinas, and was able to sign up on the spot. I had already used the keyless (it worked BTW) and checked out with my stored SPG Amex. Basically, $60 free.:)