Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can a hotel go back on a Your24 approved reservation - Sheraton Zurich

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

The T&Cs that I found are a little unclear on this - so it appears to me that an approved Your24 is somewhat binding:

"v. If the specific room type reserved by an eligible SPG Member is not available upon check-in, the SPG Participating Hotel will honor the confirmed Your24 request by temporarily providing another room and then moving the applicable guests to the reserved room type once available."

I had requested, and got approved - a 2pm checkin at the Sheraton Zurich. This morning I got an email alleging that my reservation has changed, and the Your24 request has been resubmitted - and then a few hours later I got a mail that the request had been denied. I had not touched my reservation - and this feels a lot like the property is trying to get out of an approved request - which given that I was looking at checking in only one hour early shouldn't be that hard to make possible.

Thoughts? Or even better - experience with a situation like this? I sent a mail to my ambassador asking for clarification of the rules.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flying_geek
The T&Cs that I found are a little unclear on this - so it appears to me that an approved Your24 is somewhat binding:

"v. If the specific room type reserved by an eligible SPG Member is not available upon check-in, the SPG Participating Hotel will honor the confirmed Your24 request by temporarily providing another room and then moving the applicable guests to the reserved room type once available."

I had requested, and got approved - a 2pm checkin at the Sheraton Zurich. This morning I got an email alleging that my reservation has changed, and the Your24 request has been resubmitted - and then a few hours later I got a mail that the request had been denied. I had not touched my reservation - and this feels a lot like the property is trying to get out of an approved request - which given that I was looking at checking in only one hour early shouldn't be that hard to make possible.

Thoughts? Or even better - experience with a situation like this? I sent a mail to my ambassador asking for clarification of the rules.
Question? Have you spoken to the property or are you assuming the property is not fulfilling it's published benefit without speaking to a hotel or SPG/Starwood rep?

This existing thread may be of some help:
Discussion: Plats at 75 nights/year = 4 points per $ and Your24 check-in time
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
...same at St. Regis NYC

Had the same thing happen at the St. Regis NYC. The hotel sold out and I got an unrequested, "change to reservation," causing my request to be canceled. I guess they cannot get out of it, but they can modify your reservation, so the end result is the same.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Question? Have you spoken to the property or are you assuming the property is not fulfilling it's published benefit without speaking to a hotel or SPG/Starwood rep?
I have not - I sent a "what's up with this?" mail to my ambassador. But the check in time on the reservation now shows 3PM instead of the 2pm that was already approved.

Ambassador service responses tend to be slow... very slow... at least for me.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that there was not a confirmation of a SNA in the meantime? That apparently requires a new Your24 request and approval.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Always make a copy of your reservation email. I print out to PDF using the CutePDF program. Then you have a "hard copy" to confront the cheaters with.

For only an hour's difference, I'm not sure I'd make much of a stink about it; choose your battles.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Nope no SNAs or anything else I can think of that would change the reservation. No response from Ambassador yet - no surprise there.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer your question: Yes. The property did it in this case.

So, the question is what to do about it, not whether it can be done. Call the property, cut out the middlemen and ask why it's not possible to check in at 2:00 PM.

Who knows what they say, but I'll bet you that if there is one room ready, it will be yours.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
To answer your question: Yes. The property did it in this case.

So, the question is what to do about it, not whether it can be done. Call the property, cut out the middlemen and ask why it's not possible to check in at 2:00 PM.

Who knows what they say, but I'll bet you that if there is one room ready, it will be yours.
Yes, if there's one room ready it should be given to the elite, especially an elite who has requested an early check in time. However, the whole point of Your24, which might well be why the OP chose to stay at this particular property, is that the early check in time is confirmed in advance rather than being a case of the hotel hopefully trying its best upon arrival. A guaranteed benefit is worth a lot more than one that is provided at check in based upon availability.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Well, yesterday evening I got a mail from my ambassador that they are looking into it... Will let you know what if anything comes out of this. I don't hugely care if I can check in at 2 or 3 - I do care about the 9am at the Sheraton Frankfurt APT when I arrive in Europe ;-) - I was just a little ticked off that the hotel seems to try to cheat its way out of an approved earlier check in. (yes, I know that is an assumption)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:27 am

I think you need to fire your Ambassador and request a new assignment.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well, yesterday evening I got a mail from my ambassador that they are looking into it... Will let you know what if anything comes out of this. I don't hugely care if I can check in at 2 or 3 - I do care about the 9am at the Sheraton Frankfurt APT when I arrive in Europe ;-) - I was just a little ticked off that the hotel seems to try to cheat its way out of an approved earlier check in. (yes, I know that is an assumption)
At FRA, I would expect the property to require you to either book for the night before or pay a day room rate. That's not uncommon for European airport hotels with a lot of inbound US traffic.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
At FRA, I would expect the property to require you to either book for the night before or pay a day room rate. That's not uncommon for European airport hotels with a lot of inbound US traffic.
The Sheraton MXP let me check in ~6h early on a one-nighter. They've had my loyalty ever since
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Well, today's update from my ambassador was: "We're still looking into it"

I did get 9am approved for the Sheraton FRA - I do stay there often when I fly to Europe - maybe that helped - or it's just a slow day for them
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Fair to assume that flying_geek is using a Your24 in order to check in at 9AM at FRA, since s/he's the OP and seems to be experienced with Your24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.