Search

Trip report: Colorada starwoods

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:40 pm
tcf
Original Poster

Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada, AC Elite, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Trip report: Colorada starwoods

First night: Westin Tabor Centre. Beautiful hotel. Upgraded to preffered floor. Basically the same except 2 bottles of water, a fax maching and Molton Brown. Only complaints were very low shower head, I had to limbo to get my hair wet...$1 per page for incoming faxes downstairs...and charged for parking though didn't have a car (quickly fixed) Hotel has great health facility and pool. Will go back.

Night 3: 4Pts Cherry Creek. The best part was leaving. Upgraded to prefferd floor. I'd hate to see the standard floors. Horrible rooms...hotel needs renovation badly...will not be back.

Night 4: Sheraton Tech Centre. The second best sheraton I've stayed in. (best is Sheraton Suites in Calgary) Rooms are newly renovated and close to Westin caliber. Health club is mediocre. Would go back if in the area.

Night 5: Sheraton Colorado Springs. Honestly, the worst Sheraton I've ever stayed in. This hotel is on par with a Super 8. No upgrade. No nothing. Wont be back...ever.

Night 6: Fort Collins Marriott. No SW in the area. Beautiful hotel...big rooms, nice furniture, great staff. I'll deffinately be using this hotel again.

Night 7: Westin Westminster...I love this hotel...second stay, wont be the last. And free parking, it boggles my mind, a Westin with free parking!! Upgraded to preffered room. Clubhouse sandwich still the best I've ever had. Lobster bisque is also good.

All in all a good trip. Westin Westminster stay takes me over the top to Platnium. Good deal!!

-tcf

*The best upgrade is home.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:41 pm
tcf
Original Poster

Note to self: Learn to spell Colorado!

tcf
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:28 pm

You must be from Atlantr.....
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:10 am

The Westin Westminster is one of my favorites. The nice rooms and the service make it a memorable hotel.

I agree on the Four Points Cherry Creek. The neighborhood is nice and it's walkable to some restaurant and shopping, but the inside of this place is embarrassingly bad.

I also agree on the Sheraton Tech Center -- I stayed there in June and was pretty impressed. I didn't realize it was recently renovated, although my room was very nice.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
tcf, thank you for the reviews, I'm heading to Denver this weekend. I'll be at the 4Pts Cherry Creek (you are bumming me out on this one LOL) and the Westin Westminster (you are making me smile on this one LOL)

I chose the 4 Pts CC as i was looking for something relatively close to down town so I can go to the Rockies game. Was there free parking at the Cherry Creek?

again thanks for the reviews.

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited 09-09-2002).]
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

One MUST ASK at the Westin Westminster for the High Plains Suite, if available... You will be most happy.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:20 pm
tcf
Original Poster

To answer the question about parking, I'm pretty sure it is free. I took a cab (didn't get a car till my 4th day.) It's about a 10 cab ride to downtown. When downtown I recommend Cafe Calore...an inexpensive little Italian place not far from the Westin. Very tasty.

When at the Westminster, go into the lounge and order the Clubhouse sandwich...that thing is to die for. My associate thought I was crazy talking about what a great sandwich we were going to have once we got to the Westin Westminster. I made him eat his words.

I should also mention that this Westin has also upgraded the bathrooms to include the Heavenly Bath...with a funky chromed speakman dual head shower. (All the others I've seen are white) Very nice.

Today my account rolled over to Platnium...sweet deal.

-tcf

Old Sep 10, 2002, 7:34 pm

Trojan Horse -- yep, parking is free, but that's one of the few redeeming qualities of this Four Points.

In all seriousness, I would recommend you book another hotel. Yes, it's that bad that I would suggest avoiding it.

Consider the Sheraton (renovated recently) at the Denver Tech Center on the city's south end. It's farther from downtown, but you can speed to downtown on I-25 if traffic isn't backed up. Also, the rates can be surprisngly low here. I booked a Thursday night this summer for $59, which was a great deal for the quality of the hotel. Free parking too.

Otherwise, head north to Westminster and stay at the Westin. It's a superb place. And yes, parking is free here too.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Yeah, I pretty much agree on the Colorado Springs Sheraton. I stayed there last year and it's a few notches above a trailer park...
Old Sep 11, 2002, 9:50 pm
tcf
Original Poster

Which begs the question? How can a Sheraton like the Sheraton Colordo Springs get away with charging say $150 a night. (Mind you I paid 73 but still)

One of the main reasons I love that I found Flyertalk is that I can avoid duds like this.

-tcf

Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Just thought I would update my stays at the 4Pt Cherry Creek and Westin Westminster

Four Points: I guess I was expecting a lot worse.. It wasn't nice but it wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed the bar in this one. I can't say that the area was that great but the shuttle took me to the Rocks game although the cab ride back was $15 from Coors. an FYI, the shuttle runs as of 9/13/02 from 7A to 9P within a 5 mile radius.. which includes the Pepsi Center and Coors Field. My Room was on the preferred floor and the room was decent sized but nothing special as I over looked the pool. I didn't use or see the rest or gym. There are places to eat not too far up (N) on Colorado blvd. which the hotel sits. I had to ask for my Plat amenity (250 pts) at check out as it was not offered at check in.. and I didn't remember to ask either at check in.

Westin Westminster, now this is a nice place. I arrived at 10:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning to see if I could just drop my bags as I was driving to Boulder for the USC vs. CU football game. I didn't want to leave my bags in the car. They actually let me check in on the club floor after saying initially my room was not ready. I had requested the High Plains suite but didn't get it. The USC football team was staying there and it appears the USC rate was $99 from the people I was talking too but I had a AAA rate of $89. Free parking and the mall with a bunch of places to eat were a two minute walk. The bar in the hotel was nice but not my type.. too stuffy and not a good place to watch Nebraska get the crap kicked out of them by Penn State. This place is highly recommended.. its only about 12 miles from Boulder as well.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
I wanted to bring this thread forward since I will be skiing from Starwood to Starwood in Colorado for the next 12 days. I will update it in little installments to report on the hotels and the snow.

First night - tonight - Westin Westminster. Checked in at around 4pm and was offered the Platinum Amenity. I asked for a suite upgrade and the gentleman checked but unfortunatly none were available.
Highspeed Internet works, however there are no ethernet cables in the rooms (sofar I always had a cable) - no problem, they brought one up.
I am happy to report that the Club Sandwich is still amazing. The restaurant also has a raw bar with a large variety of oysters.

All in all a good stay sofar. It's snowing outside (Steamboat received 14 inches !!!).
More in the coming days from Aspen, Silverthorne, Steamboat, Denver and Westminster.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Steamboat Springs.

We just got back from an award stay at SB.

Report: This is an ordinary hotel all the way. Regular size hotel room and regular size bathroom. Nothing to write home about.

Since it was vacation week, received a higher floor as a Platinum. Much nicer view than a lower floor.

Since we cashed in the points, I can't complain as rates were about $250 a night.

Dan
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:04 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
It must have been quite a culture shock going from the Cherry Creek 4pts to the Westminster Westin.

I have stayed at the 4pts once. Nothing could get me back to that hotel. I work quite frequently in the Tech Center and spend most of my nights in the Sheraton. The Westminster is the best Starwood in the area. The Tabor Center Westin isn't really in the same league.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:19 am

Westin Tabor Centre (as I've said elsewhere) was v. disappointing. On the other hand, St Regis Aspen...what can I say...superb in every respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.