Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Lurker mentioned in Washington Post article Re: FlyerTalk.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:08 am
Original Poster

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Feb24.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Travel companies also use the site to monitor the views of some of their best customers and even defend their actions. Some travel companies "lurk," or scroll through the site without registering or acknowledging their presence. But some companies such as Starwood Hotels have dedicated employees who monitor the site every day to respond to questions and complaints.

Starwood also uses the site to monitor its competitors and obtain advice on how it should operate differently. Jim Berra, vice president of Starwood's loyalty program, said monitoring the site saves the company the money and time it would have to devote to long-term marketing research projects.

"You have a group of the most well-informed travelers gathering on a daily basis, providing real time feedback on our program," Berra said. </font>
[This message has been edited by TravelScholar (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:31 am

Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
Thanks for posting the main points. I didn't want to have to register just to read one article.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:54 am

The Washington Post doesn't require registration to access current articles, so you can freely read the whole article. They occasionally ask you tell anonymously provide your gender, YOB, and ZIP code. This column is also being discussed on the community and news forums.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:01 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
I'm proud of Starwood in being Proactive in their approach to customer service. Lurker is based in Austin and his supervisor is in New York, yet the consumer doesn't realize the difference.

It says a lot for a company that will re-direct customers to an employee that isn't just five feet away, but more, five hours by plane... yet you dial the local number up there and where do you end up?

I commend Starwood on their customer service. While some of the hotel management might need some work, it is headquarters that helps to re-direct our problems.

If I flew more for business I'd be platinum with Starwood, unfortunately, I get to book the hotels more than I get to stay in them. However, from my vision, Starwood Customer Service surpasses others.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Actually, I didn't see my name or user id at all; it's a relief really. Much too much is made of my personal involvement. It's just my job and I'm still amazed when people are so effusive about me doing it.

The emphasis on the corporation being supportive of my presence here is probably well-placed, however. Seems that few others choose to participate - especially on the airline end of things. But, that's another portion of the travel industry. Perhaps the dynamic for them is different.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Yeah the airline industy is different; its not how can we help; its

Bend forward please... oops they don't say please

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Seems that few others choose to participate - especially on the airline end of things. But, that's another portion of the travel industry. Perhaps the dynamic for them is different.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
</font>
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:32 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Perhaps the dynamic for them is different. </font>
i think the dynamic is that HOT cares for its customers and the airlines typically don't. but, then again, for the most part an airline seat is a commodity and they realize that.

hotel properties and the way hotels treat people/customers still varies widely. that's why i will stay with starwood regardless of its wacky and generally uncompetitive promotions (targeted) and its dreadful web site.

airlines figure that if they lose a customer due to poor service they are likely to pick one up from another airline's churn. so, there's no real incentive for them to give a hoot.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 02-26-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.