http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/about/about-design.html

FAQ:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/support/faq/index.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Launch of Design Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LAX
Has anyone booked a Design Hotel directly with the property (not via Marriott) and gotten points for the stay? I don't mind losing some points for the saving I will be getting on the reservation I recently booked, but if I won't be getting Bonvoy points for the stay if it's not booked via Marriott, then I won't even bother paying with a Bonvoy CC. TIA.

LAX
i did this with spg earlier last year....my flight was cancelled so i had to stay back in a particular city....it was after midnight so i couldn't book online....i went to the property directly & booked the stay there....gave them my spg number & got the points & stay credit....

don't know if things have changed with marriott however i would be surprised it booking directly with the property would count as an ineligible stay....
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:58 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i did this with spg earlier last year....my flight was cancelled so i had to stay back in a particular city....it was after midnight so i couldn't book online....i went to the property directly & booked the stay there....gave them my spg number & got the points & stay credit....

don't know if things have changed with marriott however i would be surprised it booking directly with the property would count as an ineligible stay....
Thanks for your data point. According to Marriott's website, stays at a Design Hotel not booked through Marriott won't earn stay/night credits. However, it doesn't specify about points earning. I suspect CC bonus points might be okay as the CC issuer probably won't know whether a stay is booked through Marriott or not as long as the charges come from an eligible property.

LAX
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Thanks for your data point. According to Marriott's website, stays at a Design Hotel not booked through Marriott won't earn stay/night credits. However, it doesn't specify about points earning. I suspect CC bonus points might be okay as the CC issuer probably won't know whether a stay is booked through Marriott or not as long as the charges come from an eligible property.

LAX
It was a pain to get my points credited and mine was booked through SPG at the time. From what I understand, the hotel submits the spend to Marriott and they credit. If not, Marriott can manually enter in the points, which took a while after the hotel and Marriott kept pointing the finger at each other. Ask for a paper invoice when you leave. It'll be your life saver if you have to go the route I did.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I have an upcoming booking in the Furnas Boutique Hotel (Ponta Delgado, Azores, Portugal). Just received a mail that they're leaving Marriott on May 14th.
There's a second Design hotel in Ponta Delgado, the Azor hotel. It seems they're also leaving.

There's no statement on the Marriott site but both hotels show no availability behind May 14th.

It is still possible to book them on designhotels.com
Makes me wonder : is Design Hotels not a brand owned by Marriott? Is this just a partnership?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
.......... is Design Hotels not a brand owned by Marriott? Is this just a partnership?
It is a partnership. Many Design Hotels don't even participate to begin with.
kcaluwae likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by LAX
Has anyone booked a Design Hotel directly with the property (not via Marriott) and gotten points for the stay? I don't mind losing some points for the saving I will be getting on the reservation I recently booked, but if I won't be getting Bonvoy points for the stay if it's not booked via Marriott, then I won't even bother paying with a Bonvoy CC. TIA.

LAX
When I read this web page, Marriott says that Bonvoy customers are eligible to receive points at participating Design Hotels -- regardless of whether booked on Marriott channels or not (no fine print or footnotes mention booking source): https://design-hotels.marriott.com/member-benefits/

But this separate FAQ site says that bookings for participating Design Hotels not made through Marriott channels are ineligible only for elite night credits.

Can anyone from the Bonvoy social media team clarify that these statements are correct? If not, the language on the Marriott website is misleading/problematic... Thanks.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:57 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by TerryK
Many Design Hotels don't even participate to begin with.
I know that used to be the case, but is this true even as of 2019? I thought by now you could earn points / night credits at all of them. Am I wrong?
Old May 11, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I know that used to be the case, but is this true even as of 2019? I thought by now you could earn points / night credits at all of them. Am I wrong?
Are you sure you can earn points/nights on all Design Hotels?

From FAQ:
Are all Design Hotels™ member hotels Marriott Bonvoy™ Partner Hotels?
No. Only select Design Hotels™ member hotels are Marriott Bonvoy Partner Hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy Program. To view a list of Design Hotels™ member hotels that are Marriott Bonvoy Partner Hotels please click here.
Can I earn elite night credits for stays booked through my corporate booking tool, or when booking directly with the property at Design Hotels™ member hotels?
No. Only Partner Stays at Design Hotels™ member hotels that are Marriott Bonvoy Partner Hotels booked through an official Marriott reservation channel are eligible for elite night credits and benefits.
The way I read is that you seem to be able to earn points, not nights, at participating hotels irrespective of booking channel. It is still limited to participating hotels.

Please prove me wrong as I would love to earn points/nights at The Omnia or Cervo Mountain.

https://design-hotels.marriott.com/member-benefits/faq/

Last edited by TerryK; May 11, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old May 11, 2019, 4:12 am

The way I read is that you seem to be able to earn points, not nights, at participating hotels irrespective of booking channel. It is still limited to participating hotels.
Darn! I had no idea.

The link to the list of participating properties seems to be broken. Also I thought they had pulled the plug on BRG completely from Design and now I find out from the T&C that they are still included in some way shape or form? But again the link is not working for that either.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Do Bookings done through Marriott website get both POINTS and ELITE CREDIT nights?
It is not very clear.

And where we can find a list of participating Design Hotels? The link provided on the website seems not to be working fine.

I am thinking about a stay at the MONTANA Lodge Design Hote La Thuile (Italy).
Old May 12, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Do Bookings done through Marriott website get both POINTS and ELITE CREDIT nights?
It is not very clear............
Looks crystal clear to me.
Marriott Bonvoy™ members staying at participating Design Hotels™ will receive the following benefits:
10 points per US$1 spent on eligible hotel charges
Points Bonus for Marriott Bonvoy™ Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite
https://design-hotels.marriott.com/member-benefits/

Can I earn elite night credits for stays booked through my corporate booking tool, or when booking directly with the property at Design Hotels™ member hotels?
No. Only Partner Stays at Design Hotels™ member hotels that are Marriott Bonvoy Partner Hotels booked through an official Marriott reservation channel are eligible for elite night credits and benefits.
https://design-hotels.marriott.com/member-benefits/faq/

........And where we can find a list of participating Design Hotels? The link provided on the website seems not to be working fine............
​​​​
Participating Design Hotels are what you can book via marriott.com.

​​​
........I am thinking about a stay at the MONTANA Lodge Design Hote La Thuile (Italy).
Yes, I have stayed at Montana Lodge, albeit under SPG, and received both points and nights credit.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:56 am

I am thinking about a stay at the MONTANA Lodge Design Hote La Thuile (Italy).
Yes, I have stayed at Montana Lodge, albeit under SPG, and received both points and nights credit.
I stayed there earlier this year (under Bonvoy) and I can confirm: I earned points and night credits. No room upgrade however.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by escape4
The link to the list of participating properties seems to be broken. Also I thought they had pulled the plug on BRG completely from Design and now I find out from the T&C that they are still included in some way shape or form? But again the link is not working for that either.
http://www.marriott.com/online-hotel...ng.mi#bestrate
Looking at the T&Cs, it is clear that BRG has been removed from Design in December 2018 so the other link contains outdated info
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Marriott/design hotel partnership update

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
So, by the looks of it, Marriott wants these independent Design Hotels to sign a new agreement for reservations made through the Marriott channels. No hint as to whether this will result in different or better benefits for Bonvoy elites at participating Design Hotels. But given that, currently, bookings at Design Hotels made through Marriott channels qualify for nights, points, and the welcome bonus only then I'd hope Marriott is taking the opportunity to harmonise these benefits to include breakfast, upgrades, and late check outs for eligible elites.

If only because harmonising the benefits will shut down so many of these threads from outraged DYKWIA Platinums who booked a Design Hotel through the Marriott app and didn't understand that it's an independently owned and managed hotel with no obligation to offer breakfast, lounge access, upgrades, or late check outs to anyone and who also don't understand that nobody is forcing them at the point of a gun to stay there if they value fried food and freeflow entry-level wine in a lounge so highly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.