About:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/about/about-design.html

FAQ:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/support/faq/index.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Launch of Design Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I don't get the Design Hotel -> SPG thing.

I stay at SPG and now Marriott hotels for the upgrades and the breakfasts, in that order.

Losing those benefits means I will probably never stay at a Design Hotel. I don't get ditching the UG thing because if we're talking about day of arrival upgrades, it costs them nothing.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
There are places where the Design Hotels are nicer (Nairobi) / cheaper (Singapore) / more convenient or the only alternative (much of Switzerland) than main Marriott/SPG properties.

And they are good for mattress runs as well.

(I have had some lovely upgrades too, especially in Indian DH properties.)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by nologic
I don't get the Design Hotel -> SPG thing.

I stay at SPG and now Marriott hotels for the upgrades and the breakfasts, in that order.

Losing those benefits means I will probably never stay at a Design Hotel. I don't get ditching the UG thing because if we're talking about day of arrival upgrades, it costs them nothing.
They offer choice and the ability to accrue qualifying nights when staying in an independent boutique hotel that will probably have more local character than a corporate chain branded Marriott, Sheraton, Ritz Carlton, Le Meridien etc. I've stayed at some very nice Design Hotels, for example last week in Guadalajara when otherwise I'd have been at a conference centre Westin. It reminded me that slavishly pursuing lounges for 75 nights a year means I'm missing out on numerous lovely and individual hotel experiences such as that one.

Design Hotels is merely a marketing organisation for independent hotels just like Leading Hotels of the World and they can choose whether to accept reservations through SPG/Marriott as an option to fill their beds. They're very easy to avoid if a suite upgrade is your priority and you have the choice of a branded corporate property.

(And for the record, I got upgraded at last week's Design Hotel in Guadalajara and invariably get upgraded at the Design Hotel in HK that I stay at but obviously YMMV.)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Speaking of Nairobi, looks like the Trademark hotel is no longer bookable through Marriott channels.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ftrichard, starwood acquired 100% of design hotels company

Originally Posted by thomasito
Just realised that more then 10 Design hotels left the SPG program the last months, and even more announced their exit for the upcoming months.
I just stayed at 3 Design hotels which are planning to leave the program. I asked each property at checkout why they decided to leave and all 3 gave more or less the same answer; that the workload with SPG is jist way to big and complicated to handle.

Its really a pitty that this great cooperation with smaller properties seems not to work out well; and I´m curious how it will go under the new Marriott program...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...y-manager.html

presumably marriott will market franchises under luxury collection, autograph, tribute, etc

hyatt partnership with SLH may also end up influencing design hotels
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ftrichard, starwood acquired 100% of design hotels company
Yes, Starwood bought the Design Hotels reservation company. DH is just a hotel marketing and reservation company for independent hotels. Starwood didn't buy the hotels that are members of Design Hotels. Nor does Starwood manage these hotels. They're all independent hotels.who choose to be members of Design Hotels for the marketing reach. Starwood/Marriott listing is an optional extra for these independent Design Hotels. That's why not every Design Hotel can be booked through SPG/Marriott. They choose not to. If SPG/Marriott had any influence over this because they bought the DH reservation company then I'm sure all would be bookable. But they don't and they're not.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they can shut the company down, and may eventually do so, but clearly they hope to get a lot more to sign whatever it is they are signing

interesting there is zero mention of design hotels (numbers) anywhere in investors relations, so they are not even franchises

argument against shutting down would be hotel chains buying non hotel assets
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
No. The only way to absolutely be eligible for Marriott points and elite night credit with any Design Hotel is to book via Marriott channels like Marriott.com or the apps. You may luck out, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Are the rates sometimes lower on designhotels.com or the hotel's own website compared to marriott.com? Otherwise I don't see why one would consider booking outside of marriott.com. And if rates are lower on the hotel's website on occasion, I wonder if it would be possible to book flexible on marriott.com and subsequently ask the hotel to change the rate to the lower rate from their website but keep the reservation on the marriott platform?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Are the rates sometimes lower on designhotels.com or the hotel's own website compared to marriott.com? Otherwise I don't see why one would consider booking outside of marriott.com. And if rates are lower on the hotel's website on occasion, I wonder if it would be possible to book flexible on marriott.com and subsequently ask the hotel to change the rate to the lower rate from their website but keep the reservation on the marriott platform?
Most of the Design hotel partners use the designhotels.com booking engine as their own booking system; and all the rates are loaded the same way from SPG/Marriott.
Very often these hotels are offering Special rates and packages that include BF/meals/activities; and these rates often cannot be booked online and only via email or the phone.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by typical
Speaking of Nairobi, looks like the Trademark hotel is no longer bookable through Marriott channels.
The Sukhothai Bangkok isn't bookable through Marriott.com either - so what's the connection to the program about?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The Sukhothai Bangkok isn't bookable through Marriott.com either - so what's the connection to the program about?
Again, Design Hotels is a hotel marketing company for independently owned and managed hotels (not franchisees, licencees, management contracts or other corporate arrangements) with its own reservation system. DH is now owned by Marriott but that doesn't mean the hotels themselves are owned or managed by Marriott because the role of DH is as a hotel marketing and reservation company and its members are independently owned and managed hotels and they make their own decisions as to their sales channels and their service offering. Nothing to get upset about.

They offer choice and boutique experiences while still getting qualifying nights and points - that's all. You don't have to stay at one if there's a Marriott, Westin or Sheraton with a lounge, breakfast and suites that meet your requirements in your chosen city.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Again, Design Hotels is a hotel marketing company for independently owned and managed hotels (not franchisees, licencees, management contracts or other corporate arrangements) with its own reservation system. DH is now owned by Marriott but that doesn't mean the hotels themselves are owned or managed by Marriott because the role of DH is as a hotel marketing and reservation company and its members are independently owned and managed hotels and they make their own decisions as to their sales channels and their service offering. Nothing to get upset about.

They offer choice and boutique experiences while still getting qualifying nights and points - that's all. You don't have to stay at one if there's a Marriott, Westin or Sheraton with a lounge, breakfast and suites that meet your requirements in your chosen city.
So Hyatt is doing a much better job at connecting the WoH program (earn & burn) to the recently acquired SLH Properties than our friends at Bethesda! Maybe they are too busy with the fiasco takeover of SPG!

https://onemileatatime.com/slh-hyatt-expansion/
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
So Hyatt is doing a much better job at connecting the WoH program (earn & burn) to the recently acquired SLH Properties than our friends at Bethesda! Maybe they are too busy with the fiasco takeover of SPG!
Neither was SLH acquired by Hyatt, nor owns SLH any of their portfolio hotels, as its 'only' a marketing platform.

There are in total around 300 Design Hotes, of which 141 (46%) can be booked via SPG/Marriott (had already 170 but many hotels opted out the past months).
SLH has around 500 Hotels, of which 54+57 = 111 Hotels (around 20%) participate in WoH.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Received this email today. I suspect that means that Hotel Teatro in Porto is no longer an option, which woould be a shame. Had a great stay here 2017.
"We are very pleased to inform you that the Hotel Teatro in Porto has now become part of the Portuguese hotel group PortoBay Hotels & Resorts. The new PortoBay Hotel Teatro is functioning normally and will be subject to some refurbishment in the coming months to bring it more into line with the PortoBay brand."

Also not sure if the following is a subtle dig or just a routine statement given recent events.

"WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATIONAt PortoBay Hotels & Resorts we consider the protection and security of your personal data fundamental. Therefore, we have implemented a data protection and information security system. See the Data Protection Policy here. Because we have made a commitment to transparency and information to personal data subjects, we are sending you the Information Sheet on the Processing of Personal Data here. If you would like additional information you can always contact us via [email protected]."
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:01 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Has anyone booked a Design Hotel directly with the property (not via Marriott) and gotten points for the stay? I don't mind losing some points for the saving I will be getting on the reservation I recently booked, but if I won't be getting Bonvoy points for the stay if it's not booked via Marriott, then I won't even bother paying with a Bonvoy CC. TIA.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.