Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:47 am

I guess the Rack price is different from the online price. So is there a place I can check the rack price?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by threeuncle
I guess the Rack price is different from the online price. So is there a place I can check the rack price?
Yes, the rack rate is not only different but it is higher. The only way for sure to get the rack rate and use a spg50 is to call CS. Now and then you can see a rack rate here and there (maybe one in ten hotels I check shows it) but to use the spg50 you have to call anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I have had great luck with this certificate at the Westin in Los Cabos, Mexico. Used it to book a Suite there twice and saved a lot of $.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
AMEX/SPG50 works afterall!

My son used his 2007 expiring SPG50 off cert for a stay in the Bahamas. He told me that he saved about $20 a night off the lowest rate he was able to find.
He saved $100.

Next time someone tells you these certs are worthless...
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:46 pm
Original Member

No question they are useful, some times in some places. I saved $75 a night about a month ago down in Grand Cayman, over the lowest price I could find on any internet site. I've never found a value for using them in the U.S., but have used them in Europe and the Caribbean. So, they can be useful.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:56 pm

SPG 50 Certs

We're using a 50% off certificate for a trip to the Seychelles in February and are saving a bundle. The cheapest internet rate on the SPG site (I checked other sites as well and most are +/-$5 compared to the SPG rate) is $564/night. The SPG rack rate is $723/night so we'll save about $200/night with the 1/2 off coupon. Not too bad.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cricketdog
We're using a 50% off certificate for a trip to the Seychelles in February and are saving a bundle. The cheapest internet rate on the SPG site (I checked other sites as well and most are +/-$5 compared to the SPG rate) is $564/night. The SPG rack rate is $723/night so we'll save about $200/night with the 1/2 off coupon. Not too bad.
The SPG50 can work wonders on international properties outside the US.

I still find good values for SPG50 rates, especially even if it means saving $10~$20. Any sort of savings is good when traveling for leisure.

The only downfall to the SPG50 is having to call the res. center to make a booking, and then not being able to make changes to the reservations online. Minor issues.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
Westin Aruba

I have found that the Westin Aruba is a good place for the SPG50.

For my trip in February:

Best unrestricted rate available on spg.com: $399 + Tax
AAA Rate: $299 + Tax
SPG50 Rate: $235 inclusive of tax!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
works often

I am an SPG Plat and use SPG50 for business colleagues all the time. I have used at least 10 certs within the last year. Usually for last minute bookings at expensive locations that are NOT sold out (they're simply priced high for yield management). Surprisingly, many of these locations offer SPG 50 discounts.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enjoystravel
. . . I have used at least 10 certs within the last year. Usually for last minute bookings at expensive locations that are NOT sold out (they're simply priced high for yield management). Surprisingly, many of these locations offer SPG 50 discounts.
This is my experience as well. I've had great luck with them.

Example: New York City, week before Christmas, saving >$100 per night.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

Example: New York City, week before Christmas, saving >$100 per night.

Can I quote you next time I want to unload a SPG50 in Coupon Connection.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:10 pm

I found a good use for mine at the Four Points Baltimore airport, where I got a midweek room for $120 with the certificate and the cheapest rate on the website at the time was $180.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
used SPG50 at westin puerto vallarta. best unresticted rate on web site was $325, got $199 rate with SPG50. (February 2007, high season)
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Westin Grande Sukhuvit

First time post here - I have benefited from all of your wisdom for the past month and am glad to chip in my info - I was able to get a 4000 baht rate (about $115) at the WGS in Bangkok when the best web rate was 5800 baht. That was a solid saving of $50 a night. It is a bit frustrating to know that the savings are out there, encouraging us to seek them and spend time to call in, but will only rarely pay off.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by AdrianVanzulli
Fantastic. That's going to save me quite a chunk of change. Thanks!

Adrian
Just a follow-up on my previous post, looks like my booking at the Hotel Eden in May is going to save us $750+ USD off the best price I could find for a 3-day stay in same room.

Cheers,

Adrian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.