Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Ive used it at The St. Regis NYC and gotten amazing rooms for a very decent rate for Manhattan
Old May 5, 2005, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've used a couple of them at the Sheraton Commander in Cambridge MA. $175 best available knocked down to $149.50, and $139 best available knocked down to $105.

If I can save $40/stay with one, I'll use it - that's $400 instead of a Level 4 award, and it still counts for stay/night credit.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Indeed. Many people can never seem to use one, based upon lack of availability, so I'd second the opinion of using it wherever it is available and saves you what you consider to be a fair amount of money.

In my experience they are particularly useful in Europe at the more expensive hotels. I've saved hundreds of dollars per night on several occasions.

I'll be using one atthe San Francisco Palace Hotel this up coming weekend... (the largest room prior to being a suite is what I am told...)

-Vincent

Last edited by vincom; May 16, 2005 at 9:37 pm
Old May 16, 2005, 9:57 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
It depends if you are looking for great savings at a good location I would say either Westin Turnberry in Scotland or Westin Casuarina Resort in the Grand Cayman's. You can expect to save $400 per day at Turnberry. Great location, great place to get-away and golf. If you want warm water and great servive then Westin Casuarina Resort is the place but you will only save $225 per day.

Otherwise look at the local 4 points to take your special friend(s) for a night where you will save about $75 but get great benefits.
Old May 31, 2005, 6:00 pm
TZL

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
i got the Paris CDG Sheraton with a special suite package of some kind for EU 235 using the SPG50 when the rack rate was EU470 a night, of course it was a bit higher than the best available for a std room (EU199) but I figured the upgraded suite with butler service, champenge etc would make a good stopover night on our way to Italy for our honeymoon, so it was worth the extra EU36 to me.

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Tried to use it for London and Paris and the rate quoted for SPG50 was significantly higher than best available.. No go yet..
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
I used one in DC during the cherry-blossom festival and saved about $100. I've also used one in NY before. While I agree with the posters who recommended using them at expensive hotels in Europe, I also think they can be useful if you're traveling to a major city during a particularly busy time of year when rates are high. Worth checking on, at any rate.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I use them at the Sheraton Commander in Boston, when the best rates I can find get above $175/night. Usually I can get a SPG50 rate in the $145-$155 range.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Thanks to some assistance from William, I decided to use this award for the first time for an upcoming stay at the Sheraton Inner Harbor (Baltimore) in August.

The lowest BAR for those dates was listed at $259 per night.

The SPG50 rate came to $154.50 per night....or just over $100 less per night than the BAR.

I think I'm receiving a decent value in exchange for the 1000 Starpoints needed.

A.J.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum & a bunch of hotel statuses
Does it still earn starpoints?

Title basically says it - do you earn nights and points for the $$ spent?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Samiam
Title basically says it - do you earn nights and points for the $$ spent?
Yes, it does.

Originally Posted by Letisko
While I agree with the posters who recommended using them at expensive hotels in Europe, I also think they can be useful if you're traveling to a major city during a particularly busy time of year when rates are high.
Most definitely. Case in point: I have to go to NYC week after next. The night I'm there most SPG hotels are full. My only real Starwood option is the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers for $469 for a "traditional" room.

SPG50 gets me the St. Regis Club at the Essex House for $324.50. Which do you suppose I chose?

I know that many people wouldn't consider spending $324.50 for a hotel room, but everything is relative. In this case I'm going to have a wonderful hotel experience instead of a mediocre one (at best) and save $150 in the process -- thanks to the SPG50!
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:44 pm
Suspended

As far as SPG50: I have the following two booking reservations:

1) W Lakeshore, Chicago on 6/12 to 6/14 lowest rate is $289 fully pre-paid internet ( which I didnt want to do) or $314 lowest refundable rate
The SPG50 rate will be $229.00

2) Western Cape Sheraton, Hermanus, South Africa 11/30-12/1 best rate about $388 SPG50 rate about $243.00

mike
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:39 pm

I once used it for the Royal Beach Club at the Westin in Cabo. Saved about $35 bucks/ night off the best internet rate.

I also agree that you should use it whenever you can save any money.

Ken in Phx
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:44 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
I just got off the phone with SPG Platinum Concierge and used the SPG50 at the Prince de Galles in Paris for this coming week. Website showed prepaid internet rate of 450 euros for a superior room, Superior room with Taste of Luxury package (includes breakfast buffet for 2) for 470 euros or a deluxe room for 515. I was able to get a deluxe room for 370 euros (half off the rate rack of 740). To me it was a good deal as the price difference will pay for the buffet breakfast for two and we get a better room. (hopefully we will get an upgrade when we check in)
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Bora doesn't take SPG50% awards....
I stayed at the Bora Bora Nui in April on a SPG50. Granted the quote above is two years old, so the rules may have changed, but that ended up being a SPECTACULAR deal. "Regular Rates" (even in shoulder season) were about 80% - 90% of Rack Rates. When you're talking about ~$1400/nt Rack Rates (~$1100/nt Regular Rates) over several nights, that's considerable savings.

Sheraton Moorea was also nice on a smaller economic scale. At the Sheraton Tahiti, I got a better rate by using the regular rate, but overall, the trip was a very nice success due to the SPG50.

Also used at the St Regis Essex House in December, but the trip was planned last minute, so I might have been better off just planning ahead.

Wes
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by utwes
I stayed at the Bora Bora Nui in April on a SPG50.
Seriously? Was this booked on the phone with Starwood? This would certainly run contrary to my understanding of what was possible at this property. (I had understood that the Sheraton Tahiti and Sheraton Moorea used to offer the SPG50 rate plan, that the Bora Bora Nui did not, and that none of them do any longer as they've moved into line with the Hawaii division. At least that's what I recall from Starwood Lurker's explanation in the past.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.