Announcing SPG Member Exclusive Rates

Old Nov 2, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: LH, EY, Marriott
Frankly, this seems like a way to seriously cut down on the number of successful BRGs. Let's hope I'm wrong. Not saying that Starwood aren't fully within their rights, as the move ultimately benefits the consumer, but it might be perceived differently by us rabid FTers
Old Nov 2, 15, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
Frankly, this seems like a way to seriously cut down on the number of successful BRGs. Let's hope I'm wrong. Not saying that Starwood aren't fully within their rights, as the move ultimately benefits the consumer, but it might be perceived differently by us rabid FTers
I'm terrible at finding BRGs so I welcome this if that is the case, selfishly it benefits me .
Old Nov 2, 15, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
This can't be applied as per the BRG T&C's.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25647399-post1479.html
Old Nov 2, 15, 5:16 pm

Don't you mean a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step?
Old Nov 2, 15, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
As per your own quote above, I'd say this is false. SPG does not charge for membership, nor do they require specific employment. Therefore, this fare is the one to compare against.

I applaud SPG for offering these rates and taking some of the legwork out of rate searching.
Old Nov 2, 15, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
As per your own quote above, I'd say this is false. SPG does not charge for membership, nor do they require specific employment. Therefore, this fare is the one to compare against.

I applaud SPG for offering these rates and taking some of the legwork out of rate searching.
From BRG T&C's (Bold is mine):

BRG does not apply to Rates requiring a paid membership in a club or other organization or a free membership in a club or other organization if such membership is contingent upon the member’s type of employment
It doesn't matter whether it's paid or free. And I must say, I had a BRG approved even though the SPG member exclusive rate was lower than the competing rate.

Here is their reply:

In light of your disappointment with our findings, I have personally reviewed your claim and all of the supporting documentation we captured at the time of processing. I noticed that your claim has been processed considering the SPG Member Exclusive Rate on our website. I apologize for the inconvenience, wish to inform you that I have reprocessed your claim
Old Nov 2, 15, 11:56 pm

Programs: LH, EY, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
Don't you mean a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step?
Pretty sure it's the other way round here on FT

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
Unfortunately, the T&C's are not set in stone, and may be updated to reflect the new reality. I guess we'll see.
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:06 am

Unfortunately, the T&C's are not set in stone, and may be updated to reflect the new reality. I guess we'll see.
True, but at least we could go crazy for a while .
Old Nov 3, 15, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exclamation WARNING: check rates carefully

OK, so I tired this new rate plan for a room this weekend, Friday and Saturday. In the following, all exact numbers have been altered to protect my privacy, but I do want to show the details to suggest what to watch on this new rate plan.

First of all, I had been holding a fully refundable reservation at a AAA or similar rate that was considerably cheaper than the regular BAR on offer and similar to what the hotel had previously offered as their best "regular" nonrefundable rate. Let's call it $250 per night (plus tax). I noticed that the new rates were slightly better over the weekend, say $240 per night. After debating with myself regarding whether I wanted to switch to a nonrefundable rate to save a small amount of money, on Monday I switched to the SPG Member Exclusive Rate of $240 per night (plus tax, of course). Today, I was looking to see what upgrades looked available and noticed that the SPG Member Exclusive Rate for the two-night weekend stay had dropped to $225 per night. However, I also noticed that Friday was available for $210 while Saturday (as a one night stay) was $225.

So I could have saved more money(or not) by waiting to switch to the nonrefundable rate. These rates seem to fluctuate a lot, based on my single data point. They also can vary by the night, even if they're available for all nights, and one should not assume that the rate offered for a multiple night stay will be the average of the individual nights.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OK, so I tired this new rate plan for a room this weekend, Friday and Saturday. In the following, all exact numbers have been altered to protect my privacy, but I do want to show the details to suggest what to watch on this new rate plan.

First of all, I had been holding a fully refundable reservation at a AAA or similar rate that was considerably cheaper than the regular BAR on offer and similar to what the hotel had previously offered as their best "regular" nonrefundable rate. Let's call it $250 per night (plus tax). I noticed that the new rates were slightly better over the weekend, say $240 per night. After debating with myself regarding whether I wanted to switch to a nonrefundable rate to save a small amount of money, on Monday I switched to the SPG Member Exclusive Rate of $240 per night (plus tax, of course). Today, I was looking to see what upgrades looked available and noticed that the SPG Member Exclusive Rate for the two-night weekend stay had dropped to $225 per night. However, I also noticed that Friday was available for $210 while Saturday (as a one night stay) was $225.

So I could have saved more money(or not) by waiting to switch to the nonrefundable rate. These rates seem to fluctuate a lot, based on my single data point. They also can vary by the night, even if they're available for all nights, and one should not assume that the rate offered for a multiple night stay will be the average of the individual nights.

Enjoy!
Good advice but this advice, IMO and IME, pertains to just about all rates. I see volatility in AAA, AARP and SET rates. As a stay gets closer to check-in date, a property is better able to predict their expected occupancy level and will adjust most rates to optimize their occupancy/revenue levels. This may result in increases or decreases to what I originally booked.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:02 pm

Enjoy!
Doesn't this happen to all rates? All rates might go down. They also might go up at anytime.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
These rates seem to fluctuate a lot, based on my single data point. They also can vary by the night, even if they're available for all nights, and one should not assume that the rate offered for a multiple night stay will be the average of the individual nights.
Exactly. I was checking for a four night stay recently. I checked the nights individually as well as in various groupings. Monday through Thursday nights, so no weekend pricing idiosyncrasies.

Checked individually, nights 1 and 4 were the same price, as were nights 2 and 3, which were higher.

In pairs, they all priced at the higher rate; so 1-2 2-3 and 3-4 all priced the same, at the night 2 and 3 rate.

In threes, 1-2-3 and 2-3-4 priced the same, at the higher nights 2 and 3 rate.

However, priced as a single four night stay, the nightly rate was higher than any individual night. Don't get that at all.

Cheapest was three separate rezzies, -- night 1, nights 2-3, and night 4, which is what I booked.

Just another data point, -- YMMV, obviously.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but what I observed seemed like a big variation for less than 24 hours. Also, the nonrefundable Hot Rates or whatever they're called for SPG Elites seem to stay constant (until the following week's new batch appears on Tuesday) until they either sell out their designated inventory or the week's rates are pulled on Saturday.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Exactly. I was checking for a four night stay recently. I checked the nights individually as well as in various groupings. Monday through Thursday nights, so no weekend pricing idiosyncrasies.

Checked individually, nights 1 and 4 were the same price, as were nights 2 and 3, which were higher.

In pairs, they all priced at the higher rate; so 1-2 2-3 and 3-4 all priced the same, at the night 2 and 3 rate.

In threes, 1-2-3 and 2-3-4 priced the same, at the higher nights 2 and 3 rate.

However, priced as a single four night stay, the nightly rate was higher than any individual night. Don't get that at all.

Cheapest was three separate rezzies, -- night 1, nights 2-3, and night 4, which is what I booked.

Just another data point, -- YMMV, obviously.
It's a lot of work to check all contiguous partitions of the stay before making a multiple night reservation.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat LTP, HH Silver,
I just booked one on spg.com. It appeared when I did a normal search.

However, something strange happened when I tried to apply a SNA. The listing of my stays said I could use a SNA, I clicked into the reservation and saw the expected invitation to apply a SNA at the top, clicked, checked the box for desired room types, cl;icked to apply the SNA, and got the box saying that SNAs cannot be applied for a list of reasons, none of which applied.

Then I called the Plat Concierge and she was able to apply SNAs to my reservation. However, they apparently didn't clear in the window (the reservation is for arrival within five days) and spg.com is still selling the room type which was checked for the upgrade.

The Plat Concierge also insisted that SNAs cannot be requested if the suite type is sold out, which doesn't agree with my understanding of how this feature of the program works.

Hence I wonder whether something strange happened with my attempt to use SNAs in this case.
I've encountered the same problem too. I've got a one night stay at Sheraton Waikiki in December at the Member Exclusive Rate but even though the system gives me the option to use an SNA, when the SNA is submitted I get the box saying that the SNA cannot be applied for various reasons none of which I think applies.

Guess that I have to apply through Plat Concierge?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: