Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Ambassador worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by escape4
There is nothing in the wiki about merging or not merging, whatever "merging" is supposed to mean. I thought everybody would be forcefully merged on August 1st anyway so I am not clear on what is this distinct step that your ambassador is referring to.
Just as an aside... nobody can be forcefully merged as they may not know or be able to perfectly detect your MR account is "similar" to your SPG account and then "force" them together. Some people may go by different address and names over different accounts, and might even have more than one account (perhaps they forgot they started an account and over time just started a new one, etc.)... the merging process requires the account holder to tell SPG/MR which two accounts to merge from each side.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by helvetic
The purpose would be to be able to count the Marriott nights towards status in exchange for also having to meet a spend requirement. I'm on the edge where it's unclear whether it'll be easier for me to do $20k spend or stretch to 100 without counting Marriott. (Unlike last year where I easily cleared 130 SPG only, I'm spending a lot more nights at Hyatt and Marriott this year)

My ambassador explicitly said it was dependent on whether I choose to "merge" accounts later. This is a sample size of one, so it could just be a misunderstanding of the plans. Just reporting my data points.
Ah ok makes sense. I had not heard of the distinct "merge" action required and that we had the choice for the timing of it. For those who have already linked accounts, I thought the merge would get done automatically since they already knew who is who on each side SPG vs Marriott.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just as an aside... nobody can be forcefully merged as they may not know or be able to perfectly detect your MR account is "similar" to your SPG account and then "force" them together. Some people may go by different address and names over different accounts, and might even have more than one account (perhaps they forgot they started an account and over time just started a new one, etc.)... the merging process requires the account holder to tell SPG/MR which two accounts to merge from each side.
Having been through airline mergers, the computer systems have a pretty good idea of the match ... of course, most of us have linked our accounts so we get status matching. And since post August 1 stays are going to be on the Marriott reservation system, some might be skeptical about the ability to keep separate accounts. But that's just my skepticism.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I just earned Ambassador service for the first time and am scheduled to have a telephone “meet & greet” with my Ambassador next week.

For those of you with successful Ambassador relationships do you have any tips?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Low expectations, and be pleasantly surprised every now and then.
SFO_Chad likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
Low expectations, and be pleasantly surprised every now and then.
Seconded.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88
I just earned Ambassador service for the first time and am scheduled to have a telephone “meet & greet” with my Ambassador next week.

For those of you with successful Ambassador relationships do you have any tips?
I'd be very curious what he/she discusses.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: SPG PLT 100+, TK ELITE+
My Ambassador didn't even congratulate me on my birthday this year. Am I too finicky?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hugovox
My Ambassador didn't even congratulate me on my birthday this year. Am I too finicky?
My last birthday was a milestone and nothing from my ambassador. Also no acknowledgement when I became LT Platinum. Maybe we have the same ambassador.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:14 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

My last birthday was a milestone and nothing from my ambassador. Also no acknowledgement when I became LT Platinum. Maybe we have the same ambassador.
At this point it seems as if the quality of one’s Ambassador is totally luck of the draw.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

At this point it seems as if the quality of one’s Ambassador is totally luck of the draw.
Or ruthlessly prioritized.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

I've already changed ambassadors once, so I'm 2 for 2 unlucky. I don't want to be difficult, so I'll just keep the one I have now. I'm old school where I like to do everything myself anyhow so I know there won't be any errors.

I'm actually surprised that SPG has never asked us to rate our ambassadors to help them identify the true gems who could perhaps mentor the ones that aren't so great. Surely they would see a pattern.
C17PSGR, damon88 and rny321 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl

I'm actually surprised that SPG has never asked us to rate our ambassadors to help them identify the true gems who could perhaps mentor the ones that aren't so great. Surely they would see a pattern.
That is an excellent suggestion MG. One would think with the new tightened restrictions that Marriott plans to improve the program. 🤞

Years ago (2006? 2007?) I had an unofficial “Ambassador” named John who was amazing. He was a Platinum Representative who worked with 20 or so Plat members (his one failing was emailing us without using blind copy He reached out to properties before our stays and often surprised us with room amenities. He alerted us of upcoming promotions and helped solve any issues we had.So I have an idea of what a great Ambassador can do.

Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
For your info, just learnt they have a grand total of 247 ambassadors. Wondering how many PLAT100 each take cares of. I made Ambassador level last year on my way to LTP...like many other, I'm way less than impressed. Obviously, no contact by my Ambassador for my birthday too!

So like many people, I'll be happy with PLAT 75 in the future, and putting all extra nights somewhere else.

Won't miss my Ambassador for sure....had two of them, I politely would give them a 3/10! Sad, as I believe Platinum level is top notch with Starwood. Crazy to think they make us truly happy till you reach that 100 nights...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:01 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I haven't received anything on my birthday last year, and don't expect I will this year despite having a birthday coming up. In fact, my Ambassador never does anything proactive.

He does help with small issues (billing and otherwise), and he will contact a hotel when I ask for special consideration (upgrades on important stays, etc.).

Overall, I'm happy. I have no expectations of ever receiving a surprise, but I do think asking him for help w/ special treatments has worked well in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.