Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Ambassador worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by bhrubin
No, my Ambassador info is still there on SPG.com and the iPad app. I don’t see it on the Android app but not sure that ever displayed it.
Hrmm... this is weird. Guess I'll give my ambassador a call directly and see what's up.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
While we're talking Ambassadors, have any of you veteran Ambassadees even enquired as to whether there is an appropriate form of Christmas recognition? I'm thinking of asking my Ambassador to fwd a request to his supervisor, but it would be nice if I could offer some kind of Christmas thank you.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
While we're talking Ambassadors, have any of you veteran Ambassadees even enquired as to whether there is an appropriate form of Christmas recognition? I'm thinking of asking my Ambassador to fwd a request to his supervisor, but it would be nice if I could offer some kind of Christmas thank you.
I asked my Ambassador for an address to send her something years ago. I use that. Feel free to do the same!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
No one really knows whether SPG calculates or tracks this, but I’m fairly confident they calculate and track some metrics along these lines.

It doesn’t matter what is spent at any one hotel necessarily as much as what is spent overall at many properties or over certain durations/the year. When tracking overall spend, it would be irrelevant the the cost differences between properties or at different times of year.

All that SPG would need to know is that a Plat100 guest has spent a lot of money at SPG hotels and therefore is likely to spend an overall high amount of money at future SPG hotels.
I agree. My only point is that an Ambassador guest that travels primarily in markets with weaker currencies will appear to spend less vs an Ambassador guest who travels primarily in markets such as Europe or the U.S. but it would be false to assume that the latter is more profitable than the former.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:12 pm

I've just hit 100 stays. Here's hoping for an incredibly wonderful Ambassador, so then I will do my best to keep staying 100 nights yearly. I'll be a Lifetime Platinum after reaching 25 stays in 2018. Should be doable within the first quarter. Yay!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat100, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold, UA Premier Gold
No, my Ambassador info is still there on SPG.com and the iPad app. I don’t see it on the Android app but not sure that ever displayed it.
I just checked and it's in my Android app under "Support".
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by inf1nite
I just checked and it's in my Android app under "Support".
I'm only seeing the Platinum Concierge toll free number everywhere. Used to be my ambassador's number...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: spg
So far, not good

Based on my experience so far, not good. It’s actually a deterrent. Welcome email took more than 2 weeks, and my ambassador seems more interested in protecting spg and the properties rather than catering to my needs. Pretty much, I’m just going to bypass my ambassador and call the general ambassador line if I need help, IF I can’t solve it myself. It just takes more time emailing, getting preached by the ambassador on what I’m doing wrong (no, I know what I’m doing and I’m not doing anything wrong. I asked you to do something so I CAN SAVE TIME, but ok write long emails in response on policies and procedures that I know already, and begrudgingly do it like you are an old friend doing me a favor). Even tried calling 4 times, trying to see if I can talk on the phone and be personable (wait... isn’t this their job?) but haven’t been able to connect. rather than being a liaison, this feels more like calling a HP tech support, where they ask you to restart your laptop for the 100th time hoping for a different results. If it were up to me so far, improve the training for ambassadors or get rid of it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I second that often I get better help when talking to the general ambassador line rather than my assigned ambassador. Largely, the whole thing seems like fluff to me. I even switched ambassadors, and don't really feel like things even improved at all.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I have over the last year or so voiced my thoughts on the Ambassador program and how it is very poor specially when compared to how it used to be! It is only fair then that I say on my stays so far this year things are looking up and also the general interaction is better! Time will tell if things continue to improve but certainly an upturn from where things were!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG
I have had pretty negative / neutral Ambassador experiences so far. Maybe I just have had bad luck. Getting 75 nights was a more useful benchmark for me in terms of getting extra points. This year, I may simply get to 50 with SPG and try to go for Hyatt for the rest of the year.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've had very good experiences with my Ambassador, I hit the 75 night mark in Q3 last year and she has been extremely helpful in bookings using my corporate rates, suggesting SPG properties (including Marriot's) when I go international which are close to my offices and client locations. I absolutely have no issues with my ambassador and have great interactions. Not sure if I'll hit 75, but I will certainly give it a run again this year.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've found the ambassador service (when I had it from 2012 to 2016 inclusive) to be useful, but it really depends on which ambassador you get. The key is to find one you like and stick with them, as they get to know you better and your preferences.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I've had very good experiences with my Ambassador, I hit the 75 night mark in Q3 last year and she has been extremely helpful in bookings using my corporate rates, suggesting SPG properties (including Marriot's) when I go international which are close to my offices and client locations. I absolutely have no issues with my ambassador and have great interactions. Not sure if I'll hit 75, but I will certainly give it a run again this year.
How is this possible? You need 100 nights to be assigned an ambassador.
travelista and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My apologies... I was well over 100 nights last year of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.