Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel for Families in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Best Hotel for Families in London

We are heading to London next summer in August, before departing for South Africa on a Safari.
The group is my family (myself, wife, and two boys who will be 10 & 11), plus my in-laws who will be in their mid 70's.
I'd prefer to only book two rooms if possible, but it seems like most hotels only allow 2 people, or sometimes 3.
We plan on doing all the usual tourist stuff, so would love to stay someplace central if possible, but not opposed to being on the outskirts like the Aloft...prefer to stay away from the airport if possible.
Finally, we'd love to use points for one of the rooms, taking advantage of the 5th night free.

Any and all advice, greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:05 am

I've never stayed in the Aloft, so I can't help there.

That said, the Park Lane Hotel will still be having renovations done, however the rooms for the new wing will open in December of this year, so if you stay next summer the rooms will be fresh and new...right now the nightly points is actually really good for how centrally located the hotel is.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Tybio
I've never stayed in the Aloft, so I can't help there.

That said, the Park Lane Hotel will still be having renovations done, however the rooms for the new wing will open in December of this year, so if you stay next summer the rooms will be fresh and new...right now the nightly points is actually really good for how centrally located the hotel is.
That's the hotel I was considering most. I love the location as it's fairly quiet on that street (other then traffic) and there is a park for me to take the kids to and burn off energy.

Any idea how big the rooms are?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Aloft is rather inconvenient for the usual tourist spots apart from Greenwich. There is also very little nearby as it's attached to the Excel convention centre. When I've stayed there, I don't recall having so much extra space that a rollaway bed or two could fit.

Central London hotels very rarely have large rooms or even two queen beds. The new Great Northern Tribute apparently has really tiny rooms, so don't bother with that one.

Park Lane is clearly an option, or one of the other chains with many more London hotels to choose from. I seem to recall reading that some of the Club Carlson options have family rooms.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The Aloft is rather inconvenient for the usual tourist spots apart from Greenwich. There is also very little nearby as it's attached to the Excel convention centre. When I've stayed there, I don't recall having so much extra space that a rollaway bed or two could fit.

Central London hotels very rarely have large rooms or even two queen beds. The new Great Northern Tribute apparently has really tiny rooms, so don't bother with that one.

Park Lane is clearly an option, or one of the other chains with many more London hotels to choose from. I seem to recall reading that some of the Club Carlson options have family rooms.
Thanks Craig. I'm trying to stay in SPG or Hyatt. Right now it looks like I could use points for one room at the Sheraton Park Lane and pay for the other, but that might mean that my wife and I would have one kid and my in-laws the other...not exactly ideal.
The other option is to use points for one room at the Hyatt, and pay for the other, using a suite upgrade. Right now, however, the Hyatt is significantly more expensive.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
Not the W! I wouldn't call it child friendly or in-law friendly as it has particularly awkward bathrooms. For young, trendy nightclubbers, yes but not for your family!

The Aloft is too far out.

I've not stayed at the Park Lane but love the area. I think this would work for you.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catsassy
Not the W! I wouldn't call it child friendly or in-law friendly as it has particularly awkward bathrooms. For young, trendy nightclubbers, yes but not for your family!

The Aloft is too far out.

I've not stayed at the Park Lane but love the area. I think this would work for you.
LOL...thanks, yes, the W got struck from the list pretty quickly!

Sounds like I'll go Park Lane if I go SPG...thanks for all the advice!^
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks Craig. I'm trying to stay in SPG or Hyatt. Right now it looks like I could use points for one room at the Sheraton Park Lane and pay for the other, but that might mean that my wife and I would have one kid and my in-laws the other...not exactly ideal.
The other option is to use points for one room at the Hyatt, and pay for the other, using a suite upgrade. Right now, however, the Hyatt is significantly more expensive.
Hyatt has a family rate, where a second room for accompanying children is half price. It's half of BAR rather than, as one might cynically expect, rack rate so this can be a great value.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
I would also consider the LM Piccadilly. Really, the location can't be beat (even better than the Park Lane, IMO), walking distance to just about every tourist destination in the West End. Also *very* close to the Piccadilly Circus tube station, whereas the Park Lane is a 5-10 minute walk to either the Green Park or Hyde Park Corder tube stations.

I've also found the rooms at the LMP to be, in general, bigger than the PL (unless you manage to get upgraded to an executive room at the PL). In fact, I'd say many of the rooms at the PL are rather on the small side... no extra room for a rollaway. Also, there are connecting rooms at the LMP on certain floors. I don't know if any exist at the PL (don't recall ever being in a room at the PL with connecting doors.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks Craig. I'm trying to stay in SPG or Hyatt.
Everywhere in the world I try to stay with SPG or Hyatt. Sadly London is the exception... Very few properties and usually out of my budget range except for the rare BRG at the Aloft or Heathrow...

A DSU at a Hyatt though would quite possibly solve the space issue though, even though Points & Cash for those Category 6s are a lot of points and a lot of cash!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Everywhere in the world I try to stay with SPG or Hyatt. Sadly London is the exception... Very few properties and usually out of my budget range except for the rare BRG at the Aloft or Heathrow...

A DSU at a Hyatt though would quite possibly solve the space issue though, even though Points & Cash for those Category 6s are a lot of points and a lot of cash!
Yes they are! But given I don't have the points to cover 3 rooms for 5 nights, I am in a bit of a pickle. I'm thinking that One room with points, and one paying for it with a DSU might be the way to go.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
When I used a DSU at the churchill, I always got a decent size suite there. The Park Lane has also been a great upgrade location for me. I say make a few reservations that can be cancelled and see what happens a few says before.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chanp
I say make a few reservations that can be cancelled and see what happens a few says before.
Similar to my situation - have a party of eight that needs to be accomodated in two rooms. Currently have booked the LM Piccadilly with SNAs assigned to both rooms and the Marriott County Hall (that has regular rooms that accomodate four people) - and then will see if the SNAs go through or what else comes up in terms of upgrades a few days before my arrival...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:52 pm

Considering a similar type of vacation... family of four, needing two rooms, preferably connecting.
I don't see any votes for the Park Tower Knightsbridge. It is because of location, or are there other negatives?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I throw another vote for the Park Lane, the location is really good and rates can be decent.

I normally am swayed by the Hyatt Family Plan rate, but when i look around at Spain for next summer was surprised to see that the Starwood properties in Madrid and Barcelona all have a similar program too now. Dig around on the offers page for the hotel and try putting a check in the promotions&packages search option on spg, the PL may have this now too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.