Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Johns or Cayman Islands

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

St Johns or Cayman Islands

I planning a vacation and wanted to know which is a nicer propety - Westin St Johns or the Westin Grand Cayman. My wife and I are looking to get away and relax but are also looking to have some fun.

Has anyone been to both and can tell me which is nicer and or pros and cons of each property? Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004257.html
Old Oct 3, 2002, 5:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's St. John. Not St. John's. That is, unless you plan on going to Staten Island.

And that's where you should go.

[This message has been edited by BoSoxFan45 (edited 10-03-2002).]
Old Oct 4, 2002, 3:44 pm

Among the beaches in St. John, the Westin is on one of the poorest. It's in a bay full of boats and the water is murky. The property itself is a real beauty and the rooms are ok.

The best beaches are about 20 minutes away by jittny on the other side of Cruz Bay, St. John's main and only town. But going over to the Caneel Bay side gets old real quick. The food at the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. But there are a number of nice restaurants in Cruz Bay which is only 10 minutes away.

The Caymans are cleaner than St. John, but for sheer beauty, you can't beat St. John. The beach at the Starwood hotel on the Caymans is a lot nicer than the one at the St John facility.

Quite frankly, if money is not too much of a concern, Caneel Bay is much nicer than the Westin. Caneeel is situated on seven of the prettiest private beaches in the world and the food is quite decent.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
The Caymans officially discriminate against gay and lesbian tourists. A few years ago, the government refused to allow a cruise ship that had been chartered by a gay group to dock, because the passengers couldn't be trusted to uphold the Caymans' (allegedly) high standards of decency.

If you care about such things, I'd spend your money (or points) elsewhere.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:45 pm

Was at St. John this Spring Break & Grand Cayman last year. Both are very nice properties. I would say I liked the Grand Cayman property a little better - newer hotel, within walking distance of other hotels/restaurants. The kids loved the waterfront at St. John. Can't go wrong with either.

------------------
United 1k, American 1MM, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton & Mar Gold
Old Oct 5, 2002, 11:16 am
Original Member

Depends upon what you want. If you just want a relaxing beach vacation, Westin Casuarina in GC would be my pick. Great beach (terrific snorkeling nearby at Governor's house and Cemetery Reef) and lots of nearby hotels and restaurants. If you want more natural beauty--days on unspoiled beaches, hiking in the moutains, etc.,--go to St. John. St. John does not have many other hotels, a few restaurants. If I was going for a few days, St. John might be nice, but a week I would want Grand Cayman.

Djlawman
Old Nov 11, 2002, 1:16 pm

Anybody else have an opinion? Also, what "room" experiences have people had at the Westin St. John? Garden, pool, ocean, 1st floor, 2nd floor, Suite, Villa???

[This message has been edited by uvajonw (edited 11-11-2002).]
Old Nov 11, 2002, 1:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Djlawman:
Depends upon what you want. If you just want a relaxing beach vacation, Westin Casuarina in GC would be my pick. Great beach (terrific snorkeling nearby at Governor's house and Cemetery Reef) and lots of nearby hotels and restaurants. If you want more natural beauty--days on unspoiled beaches, hiking in the moutains, etc.,--go to St. John. St. John does not have many other hotels, a few restaurants. If I was going for a few days, St. John might be nice, but a week I would want Grand Cayman.

Djlawman
</font>
I agree. Not sure about St. John, but Grand Cayman doesn't have much in the way of nightlife. St. John sounds like it might be similar. Perhaps someone else could comment on that. I'm sure Grand Cayman would be better if you wanted to do do a lot of diving or snorkeling.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:18 am
Original Member

I liked the grand cayman property better than the st john property myself. As stated in other posts the beach at the property is nicer in the caymans. However, st john is a great place to vacation. Food prices (outside of the resort) are more reasonable and there are some fantastic restaurants. Also, if youre willing to rent a car, there are some great unspoiled beaches on that island. The net net is that the Caymans has a nicer property, but St John is a better place to visit.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:21 am
Original Member

Oh by the way, I had a 3 bedroom Villa in St John. It had a private pool just for the villa , with some pool chairs and tables, big kitchen, jacuzzi tub, 2 bathrooms, and laundry room.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:07 am

I can only comment on the St. John property.

I was there first week of Oct 2002. On a 5 night award stay. Hotel was at about 45% occupancy. We got an oceanfront first floor room. It was in an excellent location and most definitely a plat upgrade from the hillside room noted in my res. Food is OK, prices are not totally outrageous like some other resorts (although they are still resort like prices) which is one drawback to GC from what I have heard.

Staff was pretty good, with a few notable exceptions (towel person at pool was totally rude several times and defiantly ignored my polite request to leave Mrs. Exitrow's towels on her chair while she was away from it!)

It is close to the town, and a cheap cab ride and watersports and activities are abundant.

St. John is also a very rugged and beautiful island. The beaches are fantastic (with the exception of the Westin's beach-- Seaweed and murky water). The scenery is also excellent.
Overall it was a great experience.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:25 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neyoisles:
Oh by the way, I had a 3 bedroom Villa in St John. It had a private pool just for the villa , with some pool chairs and tables, big kitchen, jacuzzi tub, 2 bathrooms, and laundry room. </font>
Can you get a platinum upgrade to these "villas" from the main hotel??

Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:32 am
Original Member

Im not sure about platinum upgrades at St John. I was upgraded by a general manager of another starwood property. That was the first time we've ever been upgraded to anything that nice.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have been to both properties. The islands themselves are very different. St. John is a gorgeous, tropical, get away from it all kind of place. Grand Cayman has the feel of an upscale Florida suburb, albeit on a great beach.

The St. John property is unfortunately on a beach that is man-made and not great compared to the other beaches on the island. The resort is spread out and has some service issues. The Grand Cayman is on a very nice beach with a reef right off the coast. The staff is friendly and the food is good.

If I could go to either island, I'd go to St. John but stay elsewhere. However, if I needed to stay at a Starwood property I'd go to Grand Cayman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.